Constipation is one of the “minor” ailments that can really affect the quality of your life. Although in some cases it can be a very serious symptom, most of the time it is just annoying.
We are often surprised when doctors forget to warn people that the medication that was prescribed can cause constipation. Some examples of such drugs include Actonel (risedronate), Cordarone (amiodarone), Detrol (tolterodine), Ditropan (oxybutynin), Effexor (venlafaxine), Fosamax (alendronate) and Lipitor (atorvastatin). Some people end up taking laxatives to combat the side effects of their medicine.
Home remedies can often be helpful with the negative consequences of regular laxative use. Some of our favorites include Power Pudding (which you will see described on this video). Others include flax seed (found in Uncle Sam’s cereal), vitamin C or ginger. If you really need relief, MoM is still an old standby. MoM stands for magnesium hydroxide, aka milk of magnesia.
To see our video about constipation and diarrhea remedies please take a minute to to click through:

1. Russ1a

Constipation has been one of my biggest problems since I turned 60 about 9 years ago.
    I couldn’t agree more with the title of Joe’s vid titled: “Joe Graedon: If Constipation is the Question, Fiber is the Answer”, although Joe does address other cures in addition to fiber. It took me many years to come to the simple cure of 3Tbsp/day of psyllium husk mixed in a cup of water, to relieve my constipation. I have to watch very carefully that I don’t let it sit too long, as it will get too thick to drink.
    I drink a lot of coffee and tea, so someone who doesn’t ingest a fair amount of water should probably use 2 cups of water. The 3Tbsp of psyllium weighs 14 grams. I buy it in bulk at a bulk food store for $6.50/lb. I have tried to reduce the amount I take to 2Tbsp/day, which I found does not work. I take other fiber such as ground flax seed from time to time, but I’ve found that sticking to 3Tbsp/day of psyllium works best, after much experimentation.
    Sincerely, Russ

2. Mary

Aloe Vera products can also help with constipation.
    Just be careful not go take too much or you may get the reverse problem.

3. l.e.

Good advice.

4. frank

Stewed okra works every time. Allow several hours for it to work.

5. ea

I am a retired RN did a lot of home health and hospice I told mt patients to never ignore an urge to defaecate and to lace their fingers over their lower abdomen to support the muscles then rock forward and back to add push power to expel their movement also fiber, fiber, fiber and liquids.

6. telson

Constipation means that our intestines work too rarely or irregularly. It also refers to hardening of feces, which is a typical problem in the Western countries. Constipation and hemorrhoids are not found among primitive people, whose food is natural and includes more fiber. It is common only in urban environments where people have turned to another kind of nourishment. Furthermore, many other diseases that were not as common before are a result of the new diet.

7. LC

Really easy and nutritious way to combat constipation: 1/2 cup garbanzo beans in salad, by themselves, in soup – whatever. My husband has been on chemo and other treatments over the years. This works better than anything else we’ve tried. You may need to adjust the amount as you go along. It may take a few days at the beginning to get results.

8. Paul43

I have found that — MAGNESIUM CITRATE — is the best & CHEAPEST constipation product on the market.
    It is a clear liquid with a LEMONY FLAVOR & comes in a bottle that looks like something on the order of a Soda Water bottle.
    Walmart sells it for $1.54 a bottle.
    CAUTION: Don’t drink the whole bottle unless you are really, really constipated. Usually a half of a bottle works for me and it works within 1 or 2 hours. It’s great.
    You can cap the other half of the bottle you don’t use and it will keep well. In fact I just used it last night. Worked once again as advertised.

9. objoyfull

Can you tell us what proportions of the applesauce, prune juice & bran??

10. KRB

Constipation – no problem. A large glass of Sunkist Prune Juice works wonders for me. Gentle and no after effects. KRB

11. EGM

Can you alter the recipe for gluten intolerant and celiac people?