Q. I am a 56-year-old man dealing with a recurring yeast infection in my groin. I am probably 10 pounds overweight and blood tests show no signs of diabetes. My dermatologist has prescribed econazole cream, which seems to control but not cure it. I try not to use cortisone creams.
What can I do to prevent this? Shower twice a day? Move to Tucson?

A. You might be surprised by our recommendation. Several readers suggest that applying Listerine to the affected area once or twice a day can make a difference for a yeast infection like this.
Here is one other thing you might try, along with the original-formula Listerine. Some people without diabetes nonetheless find it much easier to control common skin yeast such as seborrheic dermatitis by avoiding foods that make blood sugar (and insulin) rise rapidly. A low-glycemic diet that features lots of vegetables and whole grains instead of processed foods made with flour and sugar is also good for general health.

1. mlg

For candida infections anywhere on the body in particular breast and groin areas you might want to try phenolated calamine lotion to the affected area two times per day morning and before bed time.

2. TLB

Gold Bond Medicated cream and powder work like a charm. The spouse and I have been using it for a couple of years, and recently when we noticed a store brand at Walmart, we switched to it to save a few dollars. The results are every bit as good as the more expensive name brand. We’ve used it on all body parts, and it just can’t be beat.

3. RlM

I agree with RLB’s response. Any Jock itch med. should work. Over the counter, I use any of the Athlete’s foot creams with the active ingredient TOLNAFTATE. Applied three time a day. it usually works well within 24 hours.

4. RLB

I would check your diagnosis – it sounds like jock itch to me. Showering once a day. If this does not help shower twice a day. Anything over-the-counter for jock itch would work.

5. MaryT

I have also read on another site that vinegar is very good for curing this problem.

6. AC

Another tip that many have found useful for yeast is to dry the area well with a hair dryer after each bath. Use a fresh towel after each shower or bath too.

7. JJY

I had itchy legs for months, diagnosed as dermatitis. I blindly thought the Rx cortizone cream would cure it, but it came back… much to my chagrin. I resorted to vinegar, witch hazel, noxema, etc., to relief the itching. The best instant help came from Listerine. I soon developed a habit of applying Listerine on my legs nightly. The problem is either gone or so under control I don’t know it’s there.

8. s. moore

along with a low-glycemic diet try taking a good probiotic regularly found at quality health food store should help. there are some specifically designed to help with yeast issues.

9. Cindy B.

One of your suggestions for this kind of problem on the face was washing with Noxema. Like Listerine it contains oils such as of cloves and eucalyptus, etc. I find these natural oils to be antibacterial and antifungal.

10. Judy Z

I had the same problem last summer. Now,after a shower, I dry the area with a hairdryer, then use medicated powder, and only then, get dressed.

11. Diane S.

Hi – What about tea tree oil, Caprylic & Lauric acid from coconut oil, oregano oil, Pau D’Arco, and a myriad of others that are proven to be anti fungal!!!!

12. R.

I had the same problem with the yeast infection in the groin area. My dermatologist recommended using Medicated Dandruff Shampoo. You mix it with your body wash and within a week it disappears. I use the generic brand it is cheaper and less expensive as creams or prescriptions. I have been yeast free for five years now.