Q. I am interested in trying a remedy you’ve written about for joint pain, Certo in juice. Must pectin be used only in grape or cherry juice? These drinks tend to be high in sugar, which I try to avoid. I can’t take artificial sweeteners.
A. We suspect that the anti-inflammatory compounds in grape or cherry juice may boost the effects of this remedy somewhat. Some readers have successfully used pomegranate juice mixed with Certo. Unsweetened pomegranate juice is quite tart but very pricey.
We heard from another reader who found a different approach: “We can’t drink the fruit juice because of sugar problems, but have found the same relief by mixing a pouch of Certo along with two large boxes of sugar-free Jell-O and making a big bowl. We eat about half a cup of this Jell-O mix with our lunch each day and it seems to work just fine for arthritis.”
Sugar-free Jell-O contains artificial sweeteners, so it is not appropriate for you. We encourage you to try mixing the Certo in a beverage you can drink and let us know if it works. More stories about the benefits of Certo and juice can be found on our website (PeoplesPharmacy.com). There is also more information about easing joint pain in our Guide to Alternative Treatments for Arthritis.

1. George

I tried the Certo blend a couple for weeks ago. I felt better the next day. I ran through my first 64 ounce bottle and didn’t have a second one. The pain was noticeable in two days off the Certo. I mixed up my second batch and the pain went away the first day. Now I am out and two days after stopping, pain is back. If my eyesight was a bit worse I believe this would be a double blind test. Anyway, today I found the pectin powder, but haven’t found the recipe. Will continue searching for it, but the effects are great!

2. DGW

My husband and I both started using certo in juice for joint pain and both have had excellent response. We use one envelope of Certo to a large bottle of juice,approx 2 quarts. The measurements do not have to be exact. He drinks it in Apple juice I use it in white grape juice or whatever is on sale. It doesn’t make any difference as to what juice it is in.

3. DJ

The Ball powder is what I bought at Walmart. It’s a couple of dollars cheaper than Certo. I just started using it today, so I don’t know yet if it’s going to work.

4. SueLynn

I would like to use the sugar-free Jell-O remedy and would like to know if the 2 large packages of Grape-Jell-o are mixed per package instructions and add Certo? Thank you for your help.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THAT’S OUR INTERPRETATION OF THE INSTRUCTIONS OUR READER GAVE. IT WOULDN’T NEED TO BE GRAPE JELL-O; ANY FLAVOR YOU LIKE SHOULD DO.

5. MG

Would KNOX UNFLAVORED GELATIN work just as well as Certo? (I thought I read that on this site?) I’ve been taking a packet of KNOX in a small amount of cranberry/pomegranate juice daily, and it seems to be helping me with arthritis pain.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THEY ARE BOTH TRADITIONAL HOME REMEDIES FOR JOINT PAIN. SO FAR AS WE KNOW, THEY’VE NEVER BEEN TESTED HEAD-TO-HEAD TO SAY WHETHER THEY WORK EQUALLY WELL. WE ASSUME THAT GELATIN WORKS BETTER FOR SOME FOLKS WHILE CERTO MAY WORK BETTER FOR OTHERS.

6. Henderson T.

It is one packet of Certo Gel to a half gallon of purple grape juice… (64 ounces). You have to take a little of the grape juice out of the bottle if you plan to mix it in the grape juice container, otherwise it will overflow. Drink a 6 to 8 ounce serving a day… Keep in fridge and shake well before pouring up a glass. 6 oz./day and a “batch” will serve you for 10 days… 8 oz. for 8 days…

7. James Gunter

What is the “recipe?”, i.e., the proportion of Certo or pectin and fruit juice?

8. Bette V.

I am anxious to try the pectin and grape juice remedy for my various aches and pains, however, I can’t quite get the “recipe”. Can somebody please give me a proportion for liquid, and also for powdered pectin to grape juice??

9. GDH

I have suffered from chronic pain in my back (9 operations) for the last 25 years. Now all my other joints are aching all the time. I just bought a box of Certo to add to my grape juice but don’t know how much to mix with the juice. Can someone give me the correct mixing directions?
    Thanks for any help.
    GDH

10. vf

I was interested in the Certo solution for arthritis. After a serious wrist injury, there was a persistent ache/pains in the joint. An ‘old-timer’ suggested a non-pill remedy: Knox gelatin! He dissolved a packet of Knox gel in his orange juice. I use just a small amount of water, stir quickly, and drink it quickly before it get ‘gluey’. I have done this after breakfast and dinner for almost 20 years. My doctor was skeptical but said it couldn’t hurt. It has definitely kept me off any of the ibuprofens. The only down (or up) side is fingernails of steel!

11. cks

Will you please give the proportions or recommended quantity of this combo suggested per day? From the Jello item, it sounds as if one packet of Certo to 2 quarts of liquid is the proportion, but I don’t have a large box of sugar-free Jello on hand to confirm. Thanks.

12. Cindy B.

One of my friends found she could use a fork to whip the Certo up like you would an egg in the juice worked without making it get frothy. That saved getting a blender dirty.

13. CBL

Instead of using Certo, I use Ball brand powdered fruit pectin. I think it dissolves easier. I found it at Walmart in the kitchen section by the canning jars.

14. K.N.Jordan

Dear Peoples Pharmacy,
    I have chronic pain in my right shoulder and would like to try this remedy, but during a recent visit to Florida I was unable to get the product “Certo”. Please advise where or how I can obtain it or what would be equivalent. Many thanks and best regards.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: MANY SUPERMARKETS CARRY THIS PLANT PECTIN IN THE CANNING SECTION.