Q. I suffered from psoriasis on my hands and elbows for more than 22 years. I accidentally discovered a solution for this miserable malady.
I had an unusual craving for black licorice and asked the owner of our local nutrition center how to eliminate this craving. She suggested taking an herbal form of licorice. This immediately solved my craving.
To my surprise, I realized I had gotten an added bonus. My psoriasis disappeared. The licorice worked better than the steroid creams my doctor prescribed for so many years.
A. Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is part of a traditional Chinese herbal mixture that is considered effective for psoriasis (American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, Aug., 2010). We don’t suggest taking it orally, though, since licorice can lead to low libido, fluid retention and high blood pressure. Herbal experts such as James Duke, PhD, have recommended applying licorice extract topically to psoriasis lesions for relief.
Find more information about licorice in our Herb Library.

1. cindy m.

I saw the article about topical licorice for psoriasis, could you lead me to a place to buy it? Have checked local health food stores and have no luck. Even checked on line but had no luck either. Hope you can help. I need the help.

2. Cass

If licorice is used topically does that mean the side effects don’t apply or are just reduced?

3. Carol

I had a outbreak of psoriasis and am trying licorice root on my legs, how long should it take to see a response?

4. REH

Yes it was me that posted a question for you.

5. PR

That’s interesting! I never thought of using licorice for psoriasis but what a great testimony!

6. Ashere

I have tried using licorice extract for my psoriasis and it has not helped at all… is there a specific brand that you would suggest?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: DON’T KNOW OF A SPECIFIC BRAND; SORRY IT DIDN’T WORK.

7. abigail

does DGL, deglycyrrhized (sp?) licorice work as well? this is available in tablets and avoids the problems described in your answer.

8. Suze

What about using deglycyrrhizinated licorice? I think that answers the concern about side effects, but would it be still effective?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT DOES TAKE CARE OF THE SIDE EFFECT CONCERNS, BUT WE DON’T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK AGAINST PSORIASIS.

9. DD

Does red licorice have the same properties (some good, some not so good) as black licorice?