Q. I am 38 years old and have never had acne in my entire life. In the past year, however, I have had a severe acne breakout, mainly on my forehead.
I am not too sure about the cause and I’ve tried everything under the sun to control it, to no avail. Last week I came across the strange idea of applying milk of magnesia (MoM) to acne. After just four days of use, my acne is clearly in retreat.
Most of the big ugly pimples are gone from the sides of my forehead. The new ones seem to be getting smaller. I am very impressed with the results from MoM and hope they continue.

A. We first heard about this remedy three years ago when a mother reported success for her son’s acne. A letter in the Archives of Dermatology (Jan. 1975) reported that nightly application of MoM reduced acne redness and inflammation.
We are sending you our Guide to Skin Care & Treatment with a range of acne treatments including both drug and non-drug approaches.

1. Christian

Cool. This is something that I have never heard of. Is worth giving it a try considering some of the other products I’ve tried. Worst care, I’m out a few bucks.
    Thanks,
    Christian

2. PAP

Another midlife acne sufferer here, and Milk of Magnesia has worked really well for the oily zones where my breakouts occur. It seems a lot gentler than conventional remedies too.

3. CLS

I have Seborrheic Dermatitis on my scalp.
    I have changed my shampoo several times and my doctor gave me a prescription for ointment that is helping.
    Is there anything else that will eliminate this condition in the future?

4. CW

How exactly should Milk of Magnesia be applied to the skin? Does it need to be rinsed after each application?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT CAN BE APPLIED BY HAND BEFORE BED AND ALLOWED TO DRY AND STAY ON OVERNIGHT. REMOVE IN THE MORNING WITH WATER AND SOAP OR CLEANSER.

5. ebm

I had acne at age 29 when I got hooked on chocolate and walnuts and put them into everything I baked, even pancakes. Turns out, years later I got it back when I ate
    walnuts again.
    I have seen a lot of warnings against SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, it’s in most commercial and some health food store shampoos, even toothpaste.
    Also the antiviral tissues (Kleenex, Puffs) have that ingredient in it. I read labels
    very carefully and do not buy anything with SLS in it.

6. ccd

When my sister and I were in high school we acne with pimples mainly on our foreheads. The dermatologist recommended changing shampoo brands to see if that would help, and sure enough, it did. Something to consider if the acne is mainly on your forehead!