Q. My doctor told me that my blood sugar level was one point away from requiring medication for type 2 diabetes. I was very concerned because diabetes seems to be such a chronic and painful disease.
I had read about taking cinnamon to lower blood sugar levels, so I went to the health food store and got a good size jar of ground cinnamon. I started putting about half a teaspoon in my morning health food drink. To my surprise, six months later my blood sugar level is completely normal. Cinnamon worked!

A. You are not the first person to report success with cinnamon. Although further research is needed, data in the medical literature indicate that cinnamon can lower elevated blood sugar (Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism, Dec. 2009).
In our book, Recipes and Remedies, we provide details on how to use cinnamon in coffee and oatmeal, along with foods like almonds, fenugreek, mustard, vinegar and bitter melon that help control blood sugar.

1. Her

I woke up to 178 hi sugar so I drink a cold glass cold milk and 20 min later it went from 178 hi to 138 lower.

2. R. HUNTER

is cinnamon capsules 500mg. good for ED in men? thank you r.h.

3. cathy m

are you by any chance taking statins? I have read about statins raising blood sugar levels.

4. Dale

The use of cinnamon works well for many, indeed the type of cinnamon is important, as the SW is not appropriate. Fenugreek is good and friends with pre-diabetes have been happy with it. But weight and activity levels also play into it. If you are not active and or overweight, cinnamon, nor fenugreek will help.
    On the other hand if you have diabetes DO NOT stop taking your meds with out a consult with a reputable medical professional. And adding fenugreek to your diet with medications for diabetes without notifying your medical professional can be dangerous. Herbs and spices can and do interact with medications we have been given by specialists.
    Always research thoroughly before taking ANY medication, Herbal or otherwise.

5. feh

This format, very general information, is somewhat informative. However, how to achieve positive results form the information published is pure luck at best.

6. DAS

I have type 2 diabetes and have tried cinnamon, but I find I get severe heartburn from it. I tried sprinkling it on toast, in oatmeal and even tried the cinnamon tablets, but it still causes problems. I know this is what is causing it because it happens every time and once I stop taking it, the heartburn stops. Any suggestions on how I can benefit from this without getting the heartburn? Thank you.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU CAN’T TOLERATE CINNAMON. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF OTHER STRATEGIES YOU MIGHT TRY INSTEAD: YELLOW MUSTARD OR PLAIN VINEGAR. BOTH HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO PREVENT A RAPID RISE IN BLOOD SUGAR AFTER A MEAL IF THEY ARE INCORPORATED INTO THE MEAL.

7. mbc

I just bought 200 mg Cinnamon extract tablets. Can anyone tell me how many tablets I need to get the equivalent of 1 tsp. cinnamon?
    thanks
    mbc

8. cpmt

Some “cinnamon” doesn’t work. There are two types (false cinnamon from Mexico and Ceylon, Chinese or oriental) and for what I read the true cinnamon comes from Asia not Mexico. So, may be that is why is not working??? I also suggest to take fresh cinnamon and not capsules. Also, bitter melon (it is very bitter), Mexican nopales (cactus leaves) and fenugreek plant (Indian food stores or internet) seems they also helps lowering sugar. Not everything helps everyone. Some things help some people and other to other people… just try.

9. LRE

I also have high blood sugar and am probably pre-diabetic. I have been taking 2 cinnamon capsules with dinner for a year. I also put cinnamon on my sliced apples at lunch and use it at various other times throughout the day. It has NOT helped to lower my blood sugar. Neither has the cider vinegar. My blood sugar is recently on the increase each week that I have tested it.
    I switched to a plant based, low carb, high fiber diet. My weight went up 5 lbs. and my blood sugar went up too. Help!