Q. I have high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels. My doctor is encouraging me to take medications but I would rather try natural approaches first. Is there anything that might work?
I also have high fasting glucose but have not yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Will cinnamon really help keep blood sugar under control?

A. Natural approaches may be worth considering as long as you and your physician monitor your progress. If such approaches fail, you will need medicine.
Some possibilities include almonds, apple cider vinegar, beets, chocolate, fish oil, green tea, oatmeal, pomegranate and turmeric. One reader reported that a handful of walnuts and a glass of pomegranate juice daily lowered his cholesterol from 254 to 184.
We are sending you a copy of our book, Favorite Foods From The People’s Pharmacy: Mother Nature’s Medicine. It gives more details on how to use these foods for controlling many common conditions. It is available online at PeoplesPharmacy.com.
Studies are contradictory when it comes to cinnamon and blood sugar. Some people have had success with a water-based cinnamon extract.

1. K M BAIRWA

blood sugar level fbs 122.4 and ppbs 158.2, which type precaution for eating and control of sugar?

2. freny

I also take cinnamon and nopal, it helps. Where do u get lupini beans? Pls need to know and how do u eat? Do u cook or eat raw? Thanks and obliged.

3. Azz

Even I stumbled upon these wonder beans last month… now I’m hooked… I’ll monitor my progress over time..Do you have any update since the last time you checked yourself?, Please share.

4. Sherry

In your book Recipes and Remedies you mention liver enzyme issues with high doses of cinnamon. What is a high dose?
    Did the research done on cassia cinnamon also test verum? Can you provide a link to the research?
    Thanks!

5. Shirley

I don’t have the diabetes problem or high blood pressure, but my cholesterol was way out of whack. I had trouble with statins making my joints ache. So I started going to Weight Watchers and the Curves gym. In about 6 months I lost 29 pounds and it brought my cholesterol down 60 points. I feel wonderful and will just continue the healthy eating and exercise 3 times a week for life.

6. cpmt

Also Mexican nopal cactus and bitter melon. Does anyone knows how or a way to cook bitter melon so is not so bitter?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SOAKING BEFORE COOKING (THEN DISCARD THE SOAKING WATER) HELPS SOMEWHAT.

7. rb

Swanson has a capsule: Blood sugar essentials that has cinnamon, vanadium, and chromium picolinate. Also, high potency chromium picolinate usually has some effect. No side effects with either. Research has shown (you can check it on the internet) that vanadium, cinnamon, and chromium picolinate work as well as the most commonly prescribed medications.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE SAFETY OF CHROMIUM PICOLINATE HAS BEEN CONTROVERSIAL AND IS NOT YET SETTLED. HERE’S ONE ARTICLE:

8. JPB

The best supplement I have found to control blood glucose is cinnamon. I take one capsule at night after dinner. My fasting numbers are now in the 90 – 105 range.

9. Barb M

I have just ordered REAL cinnamon powder, which can be made into a tea by pouring boiling water over it. What is called cinnamon in the U.S. is apparently a false cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia) while the real one I just ordered is Cinnamomum vernum. I have diabetes and take an oral medication. I’ll be interested to see if I wind up needing lower doses of meds.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE RESEARCH SHOWING BLOOD SUGAR BENEFITS FROM CINNAMON ACTUALLY USED CASSIA CINNAMON.

10. Karen T.

A low carb diet works for a lot of people. If you don’t eat sugars in the first place, your blood sugar isn’t going to shoot up. Way cheaper than meds.

11. j.c.p

I always had bad marks in triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure until I found something by accident. Eating Lupini beans for a month or so had these results for me, lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides, lower cholesterol and I lost six pounds. I never knew lupini beans were that healthy.

12. kd

We found it difficult to find pomegranate juice except in the “natural” sections. Are the simple brands (which are cheaper) just as good though their sugar count is higher?

13. AHS

a close friend who has been a brittle diabetic for more than 30 years went through testing for food allergies a year ago. After cutting wheat, oats and corn out of her diet, her blood sugar is stable for the first time since her diagnosis.

14. pr

I have type two diabetes and have high cholesterol, high morning readings and my A1C is elevated. My Dr. continues to up my diabetes meds and also has put me on a statin. I am not happy with this but realize that most of this is due to my incorrect eating habits.
    As of yesterday, I am on a 21 day vegan diet. I want to see what eliminating as much fat in my diet as I can will contribute to my over all health condition. I am the one responsible for my health and I must do my part and allow my body to do the rest! Wish me luck, please!