Q. I was visiting my daughter out of state and woke up in the middle of the night absolutely tormented with rectal itching from a hemorrhoid. I could find nothing that helped.
I remembered reading in your column that a soaked tea bag would relieve sty inflammation, so I soaked a green tea bag in hot water for one to two minutes, squeezed out some of the water, and applied it to the site. The relief was almost immediate.
I held it in place until the tea bag was no longer warm, at least 10 minutes. The excruciating itch was gone and did not come back. I repeated this once, in the morning, to ensure the itch did not return.
My doctor confirmed later that I did have a hemorrhoid, but I had never been bothered before and have not been bothered since. The green tea bag was a great home remedy. I was careful not to burn myself. Perhaps someone else will benefit.

A. Thanks for sharing your experience. Although there is nothing in the medical literature about this technique, we did find numerous references online to the idea of applying a warm tea bag to painful hemorrhoids.
Other readers have shared that a dab or two of zinc oxide to the area can be helpful. We have also been surprised to learn from some people that eating a teaspoon or two of blackstrap molasses brings relief after a few days.

1. SG

Thank you SO much, I honestly cannot thank you enough for putting up this site. I am heavily pregnant with hermeroids and I have been in excruciating pain as well as bad itching to the point where I couldn’t sleep.
    You are my life saver… Green tea bags helped me almost immediately and cannot compare to the creams I got from the pharmacy. Thank you a billion times and because of you I can sleep better at night and enjoy my day without having to stay home.

2. AH

This trick actually works!!! Oh how I wish I would have seen it last night! I tossed and turned all night and was so uncomfortable I was in tears! This morning I went to the pharmacy bought witch hazel, unscented body wash and green tea! I did exactly as the lady said with the teabag for ten minutes! Viola ! The irritating itch is gone! Thank you a million times! I’m so relieved!

3. Valerie

I have had rectal itching accompanied by a severe puritic anal rash for several years. The gastroenterologist said it looked like a severe diaper rash. I tried eliminating foods that I thought might be the cause. Nothing worked until I finally resorted to the one thing I didn’t want to give up: my daily treat of dark chocolate. Within 48 hours the rash and the itch were gone, and have stayed gone. This does not happen with milk chocolate, only high quality dark chocolate. Has anyone else experienced this?

4. Stephenie

I can hardly go in public bc of itching. Going to try the unscented dove. I’ve been told do not use toilet paper, only wipes so been doing that. A hot bath, as hot hot as you can stand it really helps, no soap.
    Thanks, anymore advice would be grateful!

5. LAintheValley

You can find Black Strap Molasses at Whole Foods or Mother’s or Henry’s I think.

6. April

Try a farmer’s market. I am in Arizona and we have lots of them around and I always find some blackstrap molasses.

7. mm

I read your column every week and several times I have read about Black Strap Molasses for hemorrhoids. I have called several major grocery stores in my area and neither store carries it or they never heard of it. Please let me know which stores carries the Black Strap Molasses in the Downey CA area or surrounding areas. I have been trying for weeks to find this product to no avail. Also I read your column in the Long Beach Press Telegram.

8. Loretta

I’ve found that the best thing for hemorrhoids is to clean the area thoroughly after using the toilet. To do this, I use anti-bacterial wipes that I buy at Walmart. They come in a container of 40 wipes. Ever since I started using them about 10 years ago, I have had the itching under control. When I travel, I use the convenient individually-wrapped little packages that I buy at Walmart. I also take along the re-sealable package that holds 15 wipes.

9. ALK

If anal itching continues, try using an unscented soap when bathing. I was itching so badly I couldn’t go out in public and changing to unscented Dove soap solved the problem. I still have hemorrhoids, but they don’t bother me.

10. A. D.

Why is it that my drug store no longer sells zinc oxide?

11. RMD

Tea Bags are also used to stop bleeding and relieve pain after tooth extraction and are very effective. The tea bag is placed over the gum where the tooth was extracted and kept there for up to an hour or more.