Q. Someone wrote you to complain that fish oil makes him vomit. I take 1200 mg of fish oil daily. My young, savvy doctor told me to keep the capsules in the freezer to prevent aftertaste. That might help prevent his nausea.
A. Although we could find no scientific support for freezing fish oil to reduce the objectionable aftertaste, many people have found this tactic helpful. We don’t know whether it would work for someone who cannot tolerate fish oil.

1. Gloria D.

Look for fish oil capsules that claim “no fishy aftertaste”. That is what we buy and we have no problem with them.

2. John S.

Instructions on the fish oil bottle say ‘Store in a cool, dry place’. I contacted the manufacturer to get a clarification of ‘cool’. The reply was a maximum temperature of 80 degrees and a minimum of 40 degrees. So, freezing may have an adverse effect on fish oil.

3. CAB

I take my fish oil with my other a.m. supplements, without food. I have no problem with aftertaste.

4. CAB

Why is it important to take fish oil with meals? Just to help with the issue of aftertaste? Or is there another reason?

5. jg

I wonder if freezing Garlic pills would work. They repeat on me, and I taste the garlic for hours. I will try to freeze them and let you know.

6. JSCOTT

I have trouble swallowing large pills. The fish oil capsules are very large. I solved this by sticking the point of a large safety pin into the capsule and squeezing it into orange juice. No fish taste at all. In addition, I have learned that using orange juice instead of water to swallow my pills works better in swallowing.

7. MW

I take Salmon Fish Oil capsules. They do not leave a taste in my mouth.

8. Summer

Objectionable aftertaste is an issue with cheaper brand fish oil. If you buy high quality EPA/DHA fish oil you will eliminate the aftertaste problem. Also, it is very important to take fish oil with your meals.