Q. Fish oil makes me vomit. I am aware of the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids, but I am at a total loss for a source that my body tolerates. I have tried many oral forms and all have the same effect.
Is there a suppository or other route of administration? I can’t even take multi-vitamins that contain fish oil.

A. As far as we can tell, no one sells a fish oil suppository. You’d have to be rather desperate to take it by that route.
You might find that eating fish is a perfectly reasonable alternative to get your beneficial omega 3 fats. A couple of servings a week should be enough.
Other sources of omega 3 fatty acids include walnuts, flax seed and dark green leafy vegetables like spinach or chard. Getting adequate omega 3 fats from plant sources is difficult, however, because our bodies do not use those fatty acids as efficiently as fish oil.

1. mhw

Several years ago I started taking flax seed oil in capsules to reverse the hair loss from starting synthroid. It worked and I am very healthy. But when I take a baby aspirin a day, I get nose bleeds when I blow my nose. My father bruises easily when taking aspirin. Is my nose bleed due to the aspirin/flax combo or just genetics? Thank you

2. Ofir s.

I use Omega 3 made from the Sage Plant (salvia sclarea). There is no risk that it contains heavy metals or toxins and it’s without any taste of fish!

3. b w

A pharmacist told my husband that taking fish oil is not necessary if your cholesterol and triglycerides are low because it will clog up the arteries. That its only necessary to take if your cholesterol and triglycerides are high. I thought it was good for the heart?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: FISH OIL IS OFTEN USED TO HELP LOWER HIGH CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDES. WE’VE NEVER HEARD THAT FISH OIL ALONE WOULD “CLOG UP THE ARTERIES” AND CAN’T QUITE IMAGINE HOW THAT WOULD WORK. FISH OIL DOES HAVE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTION THAT MIGHT BE BENEFICIAL EVEN FOR PEOPLE WITH LOW CHOLESTEROL. BUT ASK THE DOCTOR WHETHER IT MAKES SENSE.

4. Ted M. M.

The ubiquitous unspecific advice that you eat fish twice a week can be dangerous without vital details. Statistics indicate that the U.S. population is deficient in EPA/DHA compared with many other nations. A low Omega-3 Index has been widely used to predict the likelihood of a cardiovascular event. The species selection, maturity, method of processing and cooking has much to do with the extent of EPA/DHA that are finally available to each person. We’d be glad to discuss this in detail with anyone who is interested. We are pioneers in fish oil research, dating back to 1950.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE’D BE INTERESTED. WE HAVE SEEN RESEARCH SHOWING THAT HEART BENEFITS ACCRUE ONLY WHEN FISH IS BROILED OR BAKED, NOT WHEN IT IS FRIED. WHAT ABOUT POACHING OR STEAMING?

5. Al P.

Although we did not have a problem with fish oil, we looked for alternatives due to the possibility of fish oil contamination. In our search we discovered chia seeds which have 3x the level of antioxidants as fish oil. We now are using the chia and just add it to our oatmeal in the morning. It is relatively tasteless and adds a little crunch to the oatmeal. I have also noticed that I don’t get as hungry after eating the oatmeal with the chia due to the high protein level of the seeds. Also the chia seeds have a long shelf life and don’t have to be ground up like flax. They also don’t turn rancid over time. They are easy to incorporate into the diet because they can just be sprinkled on dry or cooked cereal. I would strongly suggest that anyone having digestive problems from the fish oil try the chia seeds.

6. David A.

Chia seed, Hemp seed, and ground up Flax seed are good sources of omega 3 as is my favorite, Grass Fed Beef. Farmed fish is usually fed corn and will not have much (if any) omega 3 oil in it for you, so if you go the fish route, catch it yourself (I live in Florida and eat a lot of fresh fish from both fresh and salt water), or make sure it is wild caught. Sardines are still excellent and not farmed as far as I know.

7. Cindy B.

My grandson {about 6 years old at the time} found he could easily take the lemon-flavored fish oil sold at a natural food store. You would never know it was fish oil. I tastes like lemon meringue pie. ~

8. crandreww

Try keeping your fish oil in the freezer, and take one out every time to take one, and by the time it is thawed, it will be past your stomach and into your small intestine. No more fish taste, or burps… hope this helps!!

9. MW

The only fish oil capsules I can tolerate are SALMON capsules. They do not leave a fishy taste in your mouth like the ordinary ones.