Q. I’ve had rosacea for a long time, and I’ve tried lots of therapies. My dermatologist wanted to put me on Accutane but no way was I going there.
I started on the intensive light therapy then and did that for about a year. It’s very expensive and not super effective, but better than doing nothing.
I have been using Epsom salts for the last two weeks and the results are amazing! Since the first day the redness went away, the pores got smaller and the oiliness disappeared. My skin is smooth and soft.
I just put about 1/4 cup Epsom salts in some warm water. I use a sponge to put it on my face and chest in the shower. After a couple of minutes I’m done.

A. Thanks for this interesting suggestion. Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate. We could find no research to support this approach, but it seems inexpensive and low risk.

1. Billie
    United Kingdom

I use epsom salt in the bath as it really relaxes you by providing your body with magnesium but be careful not to overdo it. I did that once and was so relaxed I didn’t want to go to work the next day. I just wanted to sit around and chill all day (not a bad thing I suppose). It didn’t help with my rosacea. Instead I use a rosacea cream with tea tree oil, calendula and manuka and I cried it made such a difference to my rosacea. Steroid cream made my rosacea particularly the redness much worse and this cream basically got rid of all symptoms. I never thought I would be rid of it.

2. mahant
    shimla

from where can i get apsom salt?

3. Glenda
    Durham NC

I accidentally “cured” my rosacea by eliminating dairy products from my diet. I tried a vegan diet for three weeks, which meant I had to give up my daily yogurt and cheese. As a cancer patient, I decided to continue eating vegan-wise for a while, and soon found that I didn’t need the topical medication I had used for about 10 years to keep the inflammation down and heal the “pimples.” When I eat cheesy pizza, ice cream, and other dairy products, the rosacea comes back, and it stops when I stop eating dairy. I can get away with having just a taste now and then, but not daily.

4. Dorothy A Foster
    United States

looking forward to newsletter

5. Jillery

I had rosacea and did all the RX traditional stuff. What works for my chemistry is washing my face with a gentle soap, wiping it down peroxide, the putting sulpher gel on it (procesca. in walgreens).
    Then I use grapeseed oil and essential oil of rose (mixed together) on my face. I also take MSM (organic sulpher) a few times a day. I haven’t had a breakout in months and the redness is nearly gone. Good luck.

6. Ana

I have had this pest for years and years, disappearing and then suddenly again appearing. Previously the dermatologist gave cortisone injections and wanted me to take 6 weeks of anti-biotics each time (I refused). This time with a new flare-up, I started using coconut oil regularly. It is great on the skin, it does not make the skin oily. After 2 weeks, the redness and pustules are somewhat better, but new ones keep on cropping up, and the itching does not go away completely. For me coconut oil is not enough. I feel like running to buy Epsom Salt and Calamine! Will start using it tonight and will update with the results in a few weeks’ time.

7. Jennifer

Hello Everyone,
    What great information. I wanted to share what I have found to work for me. I’m 31 and have had rosacea my whole life. However, recently I started to get the pustule. The appearance of the pustules did come at a very high stress time in my life. The redness never really bothered me but when I got the zits I had to do something about it. My doc prescribed the metro gel but my insurance wouldn’t cover it. That may have been a blessing in disguise. I’ve been using cetaphils anti bacterial bar soap, and then following with organic coconut oil. I know it seems counter intuitive to use oil on you face but coconut oil is anti bacterial and keeps my skin soft and supple.
    I am interested to know if this works for anyone else.

8. Maureen

I have been using this remedy since I read about it in May this year I have not had one new pus spot since as I am over sixty this was very upsetting. Many thanks Maureen

• Maureen

Maureen. What are you using on your face for rosacea that you are referring to above?