Q. I have lost weight and am watching my diet, but my blood pressure and cholesterol are still too high. I really would prefer not to start taking a statin or blood pressure pill. I’ve seen some of your suggestions for dealing with common health conditions naturally. Do you have a book that addresses these approaches?
A. Losing weight often helps with blood pressure, but may not be enough. There are foods such as beets, chocolate, eggplant, garlic and turmeric that can have beneficial effects on blood pressure. The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet works as well as many drugs.
Our brand-new book, Recipes and Remedies, offers details on using food to control blood pressure, lower cholesterol and alleviate many other common conditions. It is available at Amazon.com or www.peoplespharmacy.com.
Foods that lower cholesterol include cinnamon, oatmeal, fish, nuts and vinegar. Nearly all of these can also help with blood sugar control.

1. Fred

I do eat fruit, 1-2 pieces everyday. My blood pressure is around 125/72 now. When I lose more weight it should reduce even more.

2. Fred

I still eat some bread, but only whole wheat or whole grain bread. And only brown or wild rice. As I lose more weight my Dr reduces my blood pressure medicine. I also don`t have to take any Medicine for acid reflux either.

3. Joan

Fred.
    do you eat any fruit or bread or other carbs? or cheese? How low did you get your blood pressure? Of course you are still taking a little med for that. I am watching diet re gastritis, but noticed that my blood pressure dropped, when I ate less bread and no cheese. – it is borderline.

4. Fred

For years I had a problem with my blood pressure and cholesterol, & triglycerides. My Dr. tried statin drugs but my liver function test came back bad. So she told me that losing weight would help. So I joined weight Watchers and so have lost almost 70 lbs, and still losing, I need to loose about another 40 lbs. I eat dark green vegetables, lots of fish or very lean meats, a handful of nuts everyday, I make homemade foods with no sodium, my blood pressure is now normal, and my Cholesterol went from almost 400 to 180, with my good cholesterol going up.
    My Triglycerides went from close to 800 and are now 129. Also my DR. took me off the acid reflux medicine, and took away 1 blood pressure medicine, and cut my other blood pressure med down to 1/4 of enalapril 2x daily from 2 tablets daily.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE A ROLE MODEL FOR HOW TO DO THIS PROPERLY.

5. MEW

My wife read a book called “The Eight Week Cholesterol Cure, by Robert Kowalski who recommended 3 Niacin tablets per day. I started taking it on
    January 1, 2010 when my LDL was about 168. I had it checked about 6 months later and it was at 78. Needless to say I’m still taking it. He also wrote an up-date recently and includes a very reasonable source for the Niacin tablets.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: NIACIN CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE, BUT BE SURE TO TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT TAKING IT. AT THIS DOSE, IT IS A PHARMACEUTICAL AND CAN AFFECT LIVER ENZYMES. THEY SHOULD BE CHECKED PERIODICALLY.

6. Stella P.

Re Fibromyalgia which I just wrote: I forgot to add tat I also began a regimen of taking Omega-3 capsules and Glucosimine-Chondroitin. As a result, I still take 2 Ibuprofen and extra Ibuprofen only when needed… usually 1 or 2.

7. Stella P.

When I suffered from Fibromyalgia years ago… yes, I’ve been healed… I was told to quit eating white breads, etc., margarine and anything containing fats such as found in margarine. Now, perhaps, margarine is better made.. I’m not sure. I also went to a marvelous Osteopathic doctor who believed in herbal medicines. He manipulated my body and did Acupuncture which was great!
    He also injected the trigger points with a B-12 saline solution. I then went to a very good Massotherapist who also helped me tremendously! Also, the power of prayer and time out each day listening to a relaxation tape and meditation benefited me more than I can express. I also learned self-hypnosis. I wanted to share this so others may benefit from it. Fibromyalgia is curable…all you need is faith in God who will guide you to the right physician for treatment.

8. Joan

problem with some of these foods to lower blood pressure is that they are a no no if you have gastritis or reflux.