Q. My sister had always poo-pooed my use of alternative medicine and when I told her about gin-soaked raisins for arthritis, she determined that was the height of idiocy. She decided to try it just to prove me wrong. She took these raisins for two months, looking for negative effects, until the positive effects were so strong that she finally felt compelled to tell me.
On the basis of her experience, I started on them too. After years of hips too painful to sleep on, I was finally able to sleep on my sides again.
This does not cure arthritis, but puts it into remission. Stop the raisins and the good effects will wane. (An inadvertent experiment.) People are different, and some may get no help from this treatment. My sister and I are among the lucky ones.

A. We first started writing about gin-soaked raisins in 1994. Since then we have heard from hundreds of readers who find this remedy helpful for easing joint pain. Some think it is the juniper in gin that works the magic. Others believe there is something special about golden raisins.
We offer this food-based recipe and dozens of others in our brand new 174-page book, Recipes and Remedies ($14.95 plus $4 S&H) from Graedons’s People’s Pharmacy (Dept R&R); PO Box 52027; Durham, NC 27717-2027 or online at www.peoplespharmacy.com.
Not everyone benefits from gin-soaked raisins or remedies like pineapple-cherry cocktail, vinegar and honey or Certo and pomegranate juice. Such food-based approaches are safer than traditional anti-inflammatory drugs, however.

1. Lynne C.

I have been taking the raisins for 8 days and still do not see an improvement? What could I be doing wrong?

2. Nikki

Don’t know if it helps much….but they sure are tasty!

3. Anonymous

What gin is the best to use for soaking?

4. Richard B.

I am 85 years old and after 5 days of taking 10 raisins at night at bedtime, it seems to help. What gin is the best to soak the raisins in?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: It is best to use a gin that uses actual juniper berries for flavoring, rather than synthetic flavors.

5. Gloria

In Dallas I find golden raisins at Kroger. Sometimes they are in the small snack packs of 6 to a package.

6. KMcT

Golden raisins are a natural product and can usually be found in the baking section of your grocery store–they’re a dried light colored grape-like your basic table green table grapes. They come in a box and are often found at holiday time. They aren’t always easy to find, but in a small town like the one I live in, even I can find them. I’ve seen them in the Sunmaid or Sunsweet boxes–the boxes are a golden/tan color as well.

7. JB

Will the raisins mold for 5-7 days without being in the refrigerator. I cannot find yellow organic raisins… will the dark raisins work as well?
    Thanks!
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THEY DON’T MOLD. GIN IS A GOOD PRESERVATIVE. SOME READERS TELL US DARK RAISINS WORK, THOUGH MOSTLY WE HEAR ABOUT THE GOLDEN ONES.

8. cle

hi,
    I just bought some golden raisins at Fresh Market… it’s a natural food market.

9. JA

Here are the instructions as I have read them. The only addition would be to take 9 raisins a day.
    The Amazing Gin-Soaked Raisin Remedy
    1 lb golden raisins
    gin (approximately 1 pint)
    glass bowl (Pyrex® is good—crystal is bad)
    glass jar with lid
    Spread the golden raisins evenly on the bottom of the glass bowl and pour enough gin over them to completely cover. Let them stay that way until all the gin is absorbed. It may take 5 to 7 days.
    When the gin is absorbed, transfer the raisins to the jar, put the lid on and keep it closed. Do not refrigerate.

10. Jesse

I have never seen a “golden raisin” and neither has anyone I have asked. No grocery store in Houston has them. And the “health food” grocery stores do not have them. Apparently many people who read your web site have seen golden raisins and I wonder if these gold colored raisins are preserved with sulphur dioxide? If so, I would not be able to try them. I will try to find sulphur dioxide free golden raisin on the internet, but doubt I can find them. Any suggestions your readers have will be appreciated.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: GOLDEN RAISINS ARE INDEED PRESERVED WITH SULFUR DIOXIDE.

11. haynonnie

1 lb raisins 1 pint gin in bowl. Soak raisins until all gin is soaked up, may take 5 to 7 days, do not refrigerate. Then put in glass jar with lid and I think you eat 10 raisins a day, hope this helps.

12. PK

Can someone explain me the procedure. Do we soak raisins in Gin, How long to soak? Do you eat it after how many days of soaking? Please email me your reply asap as I get severe pains in my hands, wrists, fingers. Thank you.

13. cpmt

PLEASE, I NEED to know how many raisins how much gin how long we must wait to eat them … etc. Thank you.

14. Bob E.

How many do they eat at a time?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: 9 A DAY, EITHER ALL AT ONCE OR IN TWO DOSES.

15. NS

Started a short time ago, so will not evaluate, but have a question about the raisins. Golden raisins were bleached with the use of sulphur, and are not considered “organic” for that reason. Raisins made from organically grown white grapes are available. Have they been tried in this experiment? That is what I am using.

16. marco

Sounds goods.
    How long do you keep the raisins in the gin, do you eat the raisins or drink the gin?
    What type of raisins do you use?
    How many times a day do you repeat the process?
    marco