Q. I was overweight with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I was taking three different medications (plus a statin to lower cholesterol) and living in a kind of “fog” with decreasing hope. I stumbled upon information that screamed, “Lose weight to save your life!”
I lost beaucoup pounds and the four medications. I replaced them with natural supplements (vinegar, cinnamon, chromium picolinate, fenugreek, turmeric, etc.) and exercise. My doctor said, “Whatever you’re doing, don’t stop.” Besides the weight and the medications, I also lost the terrible side effects that had resulted from all those meds.
If the old adages “You are what you eat” and the ancient Greek physician’s “Let food be your medicine” have any weight, we truly need to pay attention to what we put in our mouths–including medication.

A. Although doctors may not have time to coach people on the specifics of using diet and exercise to achieve better health, a person who dedicates himself to do this can do wonders. We congratulate you. You may be interested in our brand new book, Recipes & Remedies from The People’s Pharmacy, available at www.peoplespharmacy.com, for more ideas on how to structure a diet for optimum health.

1. Gillion

are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it’s something like herb plus honey, and it’s sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favorite natural cough remedies.
    if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians – I have had very good experiences with them.

2. BHS

After suffering numerous unpleasant side-effects from prescription medications, I quit taking all medications, every single one.
    As a result, I no longer suffer from dangerously low blood sugar that was caused by diabetic medications.
    Without other meds, I no longer have a persistent dry cough, or a very annoying itching all over my body.
    After quitting blood pressure pills, I stopped suffering from very low blood pressure, rapid heartbeat and dizziness. Without statins, I stopped having muscle pains and headaches.
    After quitting all the meds, my only problem was all the yammering doctors who complained that I wasn’t taking their meds.
    After I quit going to the doctors, I didn’t have to listen to their nonsense. Life is good.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE ALWAYS RECOMMEND THAT MEDICATION BE STOPPED ONLY WITH THE DOCTOR’S KNOWLEDGE AND, IF POSSIBLE, ASSISTANCE.

3. kc

I would like to know more about these dietary changes that were so helpful to this reader. Please pass along to all.

4. William, MD

I lost 40 pounds with this program.
    1. A 2 hour walk every day
    2. No alcohol
    3 Breakfast. egg cooked with pam, 8 oz orange juice, 2 slices Branola Bread with 2 TBS jam
    4. Lunch: One slice smoked turkey breast, one cup cooked broccoli, one 8 oz glass 2 % milk, one banana , one slice Branola bread
    5. Dinner. One sweet potato baked with one tbsp butter, 6 oz fish, any kind, cooked in pam, one cup canned or fresh fruit, one glass 8 oz 2 % milk, one cup bean salad (from deli)
    Do not change the food choices for one month. Drink lots of water (at least 6 8 oz glasses a day)
    Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the potato. The bean salad should have vinegar in it. The other spices I did not need.
    Good Luck.

5. pAUL 43

I think that post was a hoax—I searched all thru GOOGLE and all I can find is mentions of the 5 ingredients listed in the article—but nothing about any diet containing this stuff—
    Unless the author comes up with a real diet containing these items I would call it wishful thinking.

6. Pamela R.

About three years ago I determined to lose 25 pounds and get back to my “right size.” I was 62, post-menopausal, beginning to see my blood pressure and cholesterol rise, and not willing to start any medications. My daily diet consisted almost exclusively of vegetables, 2 or 3 oz. of protein (lean chicken, fish, cottage cheese) a few ounces of skim milk, lots of spinach and mushrooms. I like black coffee, drink lots of water, have never cared for soda or fruit juice. I had an occasional piece of fruit, mostly oranges because they fill me up. I walked an hour a day. I took Alli at night, along with a multivitamin. I gave up everything else because it was easier.
    I lost the weight in about four months; the Alli made a big difference (and there are no side effects if you follow the diet.) I began to strength train in addition to my walks, and without the layer of fat, I saw beautiful upper body definition in just a few weeks (not so lucky with lower body.) I celebrated with a tummy tuck and breast lift (to remove excess skin and restore my now-depleted breasts.) I’m thrilled with the new look, and work hard every day to maintain it.
    But my blood pressure continues to rise, and I will have to start taking a diuretic. My overall cholesterol is still high, although my triglycerides are very low and my HDL is optimal. I have developed arthritis, which has changed my exercise routines, and, most depressing, my DEXA scan shows osteopenia and osteoporosis. So diet and exercise can do a lot, but they do not cure all.

7. MSM

What is the actual name of the book that you followed?

8. jams

I too would like more information on protocol. I am embarking once again on the journey to diabetic control, and would find this information helpful.
    Jams

9. L.P.

On a quest for natural supplements to assist in my regimen of diet and exercise. Would love to have the details of dosages etc. My thyroid was removed several years ago, on meds, still sluggish and fatigued.

10. BLB

Would love to know more details. Please let us know how much of what, how often and where you learned about these “meds.”

11. Mary

I have “discovered” Dr. Gott’s No Flour, No Sugar Diet — on day #7, feel good and think this is one I can stay with!

12. LL

Oh, I would love to have this also. I started working out this week and would love to get rid of the meds.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YOU’LL FIND SOME HELPFUL ADVICE HERE: http://ginews.blogspot.com/#JBM

13. JEA

I would really love to know more about this!

14. t janiga

I also have the same conditions and would like to follow the program that she followed. The exact formula would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: I AM AFRAID THE READER DID NOT GIVE US THE DETAILS.

15. L.D.

I was very interested to see the remarks (not enough information to call it an article) on losing weight by taking cinnamon, turmeric, chromium picolinate, etc. , and exercise. What is missing is the protocol – is it possible to get it? How would a person know how much to take?
    L.D.

16. pmm

I would be interested to know how much… and in what manner to use these ingredients, also I have read that chromium picolinate is not to be used by diabetics, is this true? Thanks

17. Usha G.

Fenugreekseeds soaked in water are the best for diabetes.
    Cinnamon and Turmeric used in cooking helps also to control blood sugar.

18. Paul43

Would you please share your secret on how you used the different products & your diet please.