Q. Has anyone investigated the use of flaxseed oil to ease symptoms of prostate enlargement?
When I was 35 I had a near fatal stroke caused by a neck injury. Although I recovered fairly well, I began to experience typical stroke related after effects such as weakness and fatigue. My primary care physician prescribed testosterone. A gradual side effect of this treatment was prostate enlargement and difficult urination.
A few years ago I began taking fish oil but ran out while I was on an extended business trip. The local store was out of fish oil but had flaxseed oil so I purchased it and began taking them.
About one week later while urinating it was like a dam broke and I was urinating as forceful a stream as I had before the hormone treatment. The effect wears off within a few days if I forget to take the flax oil but returns quickly when I resume.

A. We could find no research on flaxseed oil for prostate problems. We did, however, discover one study suggesting that flaxseed extract could ease the urinary symptoms of an enlarged prostate (Journal of Medicinal Food, Jun. 2008). The improvement on the flaxseed was comparable to that seen with prescription drugs.

1. PP

For the person who grinds his flaxseed: Ground flaxseed can be found in the baking section of Walmart. The organic ground stuff is in the vitamin section, but costs several times more.

2. dp

I’ve had an intermittent, irregular heartbeat since I was a kid. As I got older (I’m 64), the irregular heartbeats increased. I was tested for them and the cardiologist said it was normal. However, at one point, I was having them many times a day. It was like an itch that I couldn’t scratch. They didn’t hurt me, they just were a bother. I heard that flax seed was good for irregular heartbeats.
    I started grinding a tablespoon of flax seed in a coffee grinder daily, and putting it into my cereal in the morning. Almost immediately, my irregular heartbeats ceased. I couldn’t believe it. I hardly have them anymore. What a relief. The only side effect that I can see (more properly, smell) is that I have flatulence most of the day. But I’ll gladly trade the irregular heartbeats for the flatulence. However, I’m not sure my family is appreciative of my new-found problem.

3. jk

Please let us know the dosage used, times per day, etc. Thank you so much!!

4. EB

I am also very interested in the person’s amount/time/etc… as many details as possible regarding the Flax Oil for Prostate Enlargement!
    Thank you…. if you can contact the person who had the problem… then somehow we could get info sent back to us via email.
    Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

5. Vincent M., DC

Please be careful. The Omega 3 fatty acid in flax seed oil (ALA) has been linked by some to increase risk of prostate cancer if consumed in high doses. Perhaps Joe or Terry could shed light on that and what dose is “too much”.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THERE HAS BEEN CONCERN ABOUT THIS, AND IT DOESN’T SEEM TO HAVE BEEN SETTLED. THE MOST ACTIVE RESEARCH GROUP HAS FOUND BENEFIT RATHER THAN RISK, THOUGH. HERE IS THEIR MOST RECENT PUBLICATION:
    Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Dec;17(12):3577-87.
    Flaxseed supplementation (not dietary fat restriction) reduces prostate cancer proliferation rates in men presurgery.
    Demark-Wahnefried W, Polascik TJ, George SL, Switzer BR, Madden JF, Ruffin MT 4th, Snyder DC, Owzar K, Hars V, Albala DM, Walther PJ, Robertson CN, Moul JW, Dunn BK, Brenner D, Minasian L, Stella P, Vollmer RT.
    Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, P.O. Box 301439, Unit 1330, Houston, TX 77230-1439, USA. wdemarkw@mdanderson.org
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Prostate cancer affects one of six men during their lifetime. Dietary factors are postulated to influence the development and progression of prostate cancer. Low-fat diets and flaxseed supplementation may offer potentially protective strategies.
    METHODS: We undertook a multisite, randomized controlled trial to test the effects of low-fat and/or flaxseed-supplemented diets on the biology of the prostate and other biomarkers. Prostate cancer patients (n = 161) scheduled at least 21 days before prostatectomy were randomly assigned to one of the following arms: (a) control (usual diet), (b) flaxseed-supplemented diet (30 g/d), (c) low-fat diet (

6. PP

What was the dosage that this person was using?

7. M

Please share more details of your experience regarding Flaxseeds as to dosage: table spoon versus tea spoon, time of your intake & how frequently & most importantly as to how many times.
    I may be able to utilize as I have BPH and taking only Saw Palmetto 450 mg once a day. I understand Saw Palmetto may have no clinical benefit but it helps me. I would prefer to switch over, if there is good result. I do use a tea spoon with my oat meal cereal in the morning.
    Thank you very much.
    M Ratra
    PS- I have no opportunity to listen to radio programming & good opportunity to read it here on your emails.