Q. I have been making jewelry as a hobby for 15 years and was told by an old jeweler to use toothpaste on burns. Using a torch and working with hot metal make burns a regular, if not frequent, occurrence.
I put Crest toothpaste on burns and small blisters and they disappear shortly after applying it. My family doctor said it made sense to her because of some of the ingredients. I have told many other jewelers who have found the suggestion worked for them as well.

A. We’re glad your doctor thinks that toothpaste makes sense because of its ingredients. We don’t have any idea why it works, but many remedies that people use for minor burns are equally mysterious. Those include soy sauce, cold yellow mustard and vanilla extract.
When we searched the medical literature, toothpaste for burns was mentioned only as an inappropriate home treatment (Journal of Emergency Nursing, March, 2010).
The recommended first aid for a burn is immediate application of cold water. Serious burns require medical attention.

1. Jessica
    United States

I scalded a few of my fingers trying to take hot tea out of the microwave. I quickly ran my hand under cool water and then proceeded to try different remedies like sugar, mustard, vinegar and soy sauce and took an ibuprofen, but none of them worked. I was still in pain. In a desperate act for relief I finally applied toothpaste. It works. The pain was quickly dulled to a tolerable throb and continues to recede.

2. zaheer

Some said, use toothpaste, while, other said do not use toothpaste….. Where the public like me, will have to follow?????
    But I think, using toothpaste leave darkness on skin…….
    Feel free to contact with me.
    Dr. Zaheer, Lahore

3. misty

I always used toothpaste before when I was still in the Philippines for minor cooking closed burns and it gives quick relief and never got blisters. but when I came here to England and was told in A and E not to put toothpaste and just run those burns under cold tap, I always had blisters and takes time to heal.
    I tried to do it a few times but I always had blisters maybe because of the water that got inside the skin pores. Then after, I went back to toothpaste as a first aid. Toothpaste has a cooling ingredients that eases minor burns. But take note, use it only on minor CLOSED burns. Not on open wounds.

4. Gabrielle E.

The toothpaste works. Faster and more efficient then tap water. Sometimes tap water doesn’t get cold enough to exfoliate the burn.

5. kumar

Please do not use toothpaste for minor burns. Also do not put ice on burns. Also do not put ghee. Best first aid is to open water tap and let flow water on the burns. wash properly and consult doctor.

6. Char B

Burns and/or blisters, I have found from my own experience and the experience of friends, that the use of Desitin Diaper Rash Ointment will heal the blister overnight (if used right away). On burns, it takes away the blistering and heals very quickly, with little to no scarring.

7. Judith B.

I have used toothpaste for “cooking” burns for several years. It has always prevented blistering and the red soon goes away. If it were a serious burn I would seek medical help but for the minor kitchen burns it works for me.