Q. I have suffered from plantar warts since high school. I am now 55 years old. I have tried surgery, freezing and salicylic acid. Nothing worked.
Recently I had shingles and was prescribed Valtrex for 10 days. Besides curing my shingles, Valtrex cured my plantar warts. Are there any studies about this?

A. Although there are no controlled studies of this treatment for plantar warts, we found a report of two cases in the medical literature reinforcing your experience (American Journal of Medicine, June, 2005).

1. cz

Rosedala. You could try a mirror or using a smart phones camera to help you see where you’re applying it.

2. Rosedala

I know this thread is from 2011 but I’ll post anyway?
    I have a plantar wart for which my podiatrist prescribed Lazer (Laser?) Formaldehyde Rollon. Problem is since I’ve had a hip surgery I can’t bend so as to see where I’m applying it and have no one (who lives near) to ask to do it for me. Doctor said I can go to have the treatment by her once a week for a few weeks, but I’m not sure my health insurance will cover and her office is not easy for me to get to.
    I know I’m closing all the doors, but… anyone has a solution to this problem?
    Thanks ever so much! :O)

3. CW

I’ve tried it all… apple cider vinegar, duct tape, salicylic acid…. best stuff by far was a 10% solution of formaldehyde… laser formaldehyde was what the foot doc. prescribed, my insurance wouldn’t cover it, so I googled what it was. A local pharmacy compounding place mixed it up custom, cost a lil over 30 bux. Half the price of the brand name. Twice a day, dries it out to a point where the wart dies. 10% formaldehyde solution, I had them put it in a roll-on bottle, but it dribbles out. So I use a q-tip.

4. Laura

Both my sister and I have had planter warts in the center of the sole of our foot. My dermatologist was able to freeze mine away after 4 visits every 4 weeks. My sister’s dermatologist though suggested a home remedy to use every night in between office visits where the doctor would freeze it off. You take Compound W freeze off, apple cider vinegar, and duct tape. You use the Compound W on the wart. Then take a cotton ball soaked with the apple cider vinegar and hold it firmly against the wart(The doctor said you can use yellow mustard instead of the vinegar if desired).
    Then duct tape over it. The doctor said that you’re supposed to do this right before bed and wash it off in the morning after waking up. It worked really well for my sister. She only had two office visits in two weeks before it was gone. I’m trying this method if I ever get another planter’s wart. It’s definitely worth a try!

5. T. Allyn

Thanks for your input everyone! I will give the soaks a try first.

6. Eric H

I’ve heard that covering the warts with duct tape for 10-14 days works. I tried this myself without success however (salicylic acid worked for me). My warts were on my fingers, however.
    It makes since that Valtrex would work since it’s an antiviral medication and plantar warts are caused by a virus. I would definitely try something cheaper first. I’d go for duct tape or salicylic since they’re topical and therefore have a slim risk of side effects.

7. J Joseph

Tagamet is also being prescribed to heal plantar warts. You can make a Google search.

8. MQ

As a young teenager, I had plantar warts (about a dozen on each foot) and for two or three years I lived in a state of mortification because I was so embarrassed by them. We lived in Florida and it seemed there was always some reason that my bare feet would be exposed to view. Back then I took baths, not showers. For some reason that remains a mystery to me, I started, at the end of each bath, scrubbing away at them with a washcloth. I had noticed that they became softer from the soaking in the tub. I kept this up and gradually diminished their size, wearing them down bit by bit, until they went away completely. I’ve never had any since.

9. Terry

Now if it could just cure toenail fungus. I’ve tried everything short of the pills, from prescriptions to herb & vinegar soaks, and nothing works.

10. T Allyn

Are there any natural, non-Rx remedies for plantar warts?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YES. ONE OF THE SIMPLEST IS SOAKING IN HOT WATER (NOT BURNING) FOR 20 MINUTES AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. THIS MAY TAKE 6 WEEKS.
    OTHERS HAVE FOUND THAT APPLYING A TURMERIC PASTE MADE OF FRESH ROOT OR MOISTENED POWDER TO THE WART IS HELPFUL.