Q. After reading about beet juice for hypertension, I purchased fermented beet juice from my local health food store. I mixed it with equal parts of apple juice and drank it twice a day. The result was immediate and unbelievable!
Although I have not gone off my blood pressure meds at this point, the reading is low (110/67). After realizing how powerful beet juice is, I decided to cut back to 2 oz mixed with 2 oz of apple juice. The results are the same and I couldn’t be happier.

A. The most recent research shows that a cup of beet juice lowers blood pressure significantly in men (Hypertension, Aug., 2010). Women do not respond as strongly.

1. H. Butterfield

What about just eating red beets? Will that work also, and work just as well?

2. Barb G.

People’s Pharmacy
    I want to try beet powder for high blood pressure. The reason for the powder try is when I drink half a glass of beet juice the blood pressure drops. I want to try their capsules which are 500MG each so two would gave me a gram. I am 75 years old so the iron could be a problem.

3. dawn

I have a tendency to get kidney stones, I also have high blood pressure. I am presently taking 5 mg of Bisoprolol medication. I exercise and eat very healthy and my blood pressure is still all over the place, first thing in the morning it can range from 141/75, in the afternoon 120/75 and in the evening about the same. This morning however it was 150/82 which I find very alarming. After reading about the fermented beet juice I got pretty excited that maybe this will help me lower my blood pressure naturally, good grief, is there a chance it could cause me to have kidney stones. I would love some helpful advice. Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: BEETS ARE RICH IN OXALATE, SO PEOPLE WHO MAKE KIDNEY STONES ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THEM.

4. beau10

I have the 2006 edition of the Graedon’s ‘Best Choices from the People’s Pharmacy’. I could not find any reference to beets – but did find mention of both garlic, celery and green tea, which I use. I saw a Dr. Oz TV episode the other day where he recommended beets – the whole beet: beet and leaves. I also incorporate beaucoup exercise (at the insistence of my canine).
    I recently read that any fermented food (like sauerkraut and tofu) can have a positive effect of lowering blood pressure. You can make your own fermented beet juice (Burakovyi Kvas) – the recipe is online. If that seems too complicated, I am now making my own bread, pizza dough, muffins, cookies, pies, yogurt (unbelievably easy w/ a slow cooker recipe @ CHEAP!), etc. out of self-defense: check out the chemical ingredients in commercial bread – depressingly scary).

5. RL

I found Biotta fermented beet juice at Vitacost.com The price was very good.

6. SR

Really a Informative article!! Actually, I didn’t know that Beet helps in reducing Blood pressure. I had chest pain symptoms & actually thought I was having mild heart attack symptoms, but tests were neg.  I went to my Dr. and she evaluated my chest pain & discovered I had popped a rib out just enough that it would cause all sorts of chest pains as well as increase blood pressure that I had. Now, I will use beet as much as possible for reducing my BP.

7. HU

interesting reports about beet juice. two obvious questions i have not seen answered:
    (1) have the favorable results been confirmed by any independent laboratory or medical research facility? (not that you guys are not to be believed, of course!)
    (2) is it, will it be necessary to drink the required amount, whatever one determines to be best for him, each day forever and ever after, in order to continue to enjoy the good results? what if someone misses a day or two … or a week? will his blood pressure jump back up and pose the same danger it did before?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: INDEPENDENT RESEARCH TEAMS IN ENGLAND AND SWEDEN HAVE FOUND BLOOD PRESSURE BENEFIT FROM BEETS: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2543553
    TO MAINTAIN THE EFFECT, IT IS NECESSARY TO KEEP CONSUMING BEET JUICE DAILY.

8. Terry

I would like to purchase fermented beet juice. Could you tell me where I could buy some?

9. beau

I have not been able to find any “fermented” beet juice in the entire area and would like to know if ordinary beet juice works as well. From the other postings, I am now concerned about the oxalates and the iron factor. More information is needed for clarification.

10. Thomas P.

I tried the powered Beet Juice for my high blood pressure to no avail, I would like to try the Fermented beet juice but I can’t find it locally or on the internet, any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You Thomas P., Stuart , FL

11. RWK

Doesn’t beet juice have a lot of iron? I understand that iron, is not a good idea as it is a powerful pro oxidant that builds up in men who unlike women do not lose it every month for a good part of their lives. This is why some Cardios advocate giving blood as often as you can for men and women after menopause.

12. beau

Brent B mentions the possible negative effects of beet juice oxalates upon kidneys, As I have only one, I am somewhat concerned. Hibiscus tea is suggested as an alternative to the beet juice. Are there any suggestions as to the hibiscus tea, what effects, where it is obtained, etc?
    I have a most beautiful and glorious flowering hibiscus in my garden and when I was sizing it up and estimating how to get tea out of it, it began to look more than slightly nervous. Is there any info that can help save my tree from me?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: There are a lot of herbal teas that contain hibiscus as a main ingredient. Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger is just one. Here is a lot more info:

13. rg

I am trying to locate the original broadcast that stimulated this person to try this beet juice cure. Also I am interested in other potential alternative natural tx for hypertension, how do I find them on your site?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THERE ARE QUITE A NUMBER DISCUSSED IN OUR GUIDE TO BLOOD PRESSURE TREATMENT

14. JT

My 29 year old son has borderline hypertension also… family history with the men in our family. I suggested the beet juice to him also because he is very athletic and wasn’t crazy about taking the meds… he used the beet juice powder with amazing results… has kept his readings stable since he started on it and has no need for meds.

15. Brent B.

Beets have plenty of potassium (and betaine hydrochloride, which helps to digest your food) and they’re also great for endurance. But since they do contain oxalates, take it easy with them or they may cause some kidney problems. You can also lower blood pressure with hibiscus tea, if you want to take that route. Thanks for providing this forum for natural health alternatives!

16. beau

The article stated “fermented” beet juice. Is that the only form of beet juice that works – or does ordinary beet juice work as well?

17. NS

After reading your comment about beet juice about 6 weeks ago, I found powdered beet juice in a health food store. I take one tablespoon with 8 ounces of water. It seems to knock about 10 points off of my systolic. Anyway I am a believer and take it every morning.

18. Dan Shearer

Hi,
    Some time ago in response to your column or book perhaps) I bought a couple of packages of “powdered beet” (certified organic). I looked for freeze dried beet, but my local natural food store only had the kind I bought, and I didn’t trust the variety of products I found online.
    Apparently, you have a lot of readers in our area (Hendersonville, NC), because after your recent account of the benefits of fermented beet juice, there was run on the product at our local CO-OP. Problem is the juice comes in 16.9 oz bottles for $6.59, and the recommended serving is 8 oz. Doing the math quickly shows this product to be expensive IF you following the serving recommendation.
    My question is twofold: One, is fermented beet juice recommended over other varieties of beet; and two, do you think the 2 oz portion that your reader “cut back to” is sufficient? He or she didn’t mention how much he or she started with.
    Dan