Research in rodents and test tubes has turned up many compounds that are active against cancer cells. But relatively few of these have been developed into cancer treatments. The established ways of treating cancer, such as chemotherapy and radiation, are often toxic and usually very expensive. Worse, they don’t always work. What other therapies already available on drugstore shelves show promise for treating cancer? How can we utilize the body’s own defense, the immune system, to fight cancer? This is the third in our three-part series on unconventional approaches to cancer.
Guests: Vikas Sukhatme, MD, PhD, oncology researcher and Professor of Medicine at Harvard University Medical School. He is co-founder of Global Cures.
Vidula Sukhatme, MA, MS, is co-founder and CEO of Global Cures. The photo is of Vidula Sukhatme.
The podcast of this program will be available the Monday after the broadcast date. Podcasts can be downloaded for free for six weeks after the date of broadcast. After that time has passed, digital downloads are available for $2.99. CDs may be purchased at any time after broadcast for $9.99.

1. DN

As a cancer patient who has been in treatment for six years including chemo, cyberknife, and three surgeries, one colon, and two liver, I am both excited and discouraged by the potential treatments out there that aren’t being pursued. I’m rapidly running out of options so at 70, I hope some of these treatment options will be made available.
    I believe the legal ramifications could be covered by releases. After all, there are surgeries, that don’t have hundreds of samples, that are being utilized as well as other procedures. It’s time to be practical and time to exercise common sense, something long missing in medicine, at least since the 19th century. If sales reps perform RFA, why can’t licensed physicians utilize treatments currently available.

2. Tom H.

Green tea with citrus juice added dramatically improves ECGC absorption.

3. Hans Keer

Very broad interview. Perhaps it’s a good idea for the Sukhatme’s to consider this alternative therapy http://bit.ly/950WH3. You would not need any doctor, medication or approval.

4. Patti H

Thank you to the guests for trying to do something about our upside down system of not letting any late stage cancer patient decide for themselves what therapy they would like to have provided. It is a crime to withhold treatment that a patient feels they might benefit from and our country just doesn’t really know what our system is all about until they are faced with cancer themselves.
    I think it is mostly about money and that the pharmaceutical companies are not going to give up selling their chemotherapies even if the cure to cancer was found. Why doesn’t someone go to congress and try to get new laws for the patient’s rights? The cancer patient in this country has NO RIGHTS! That is pitiful and very sad.

5. JAB

Thank you for a wonderful program. I have forwarded the links to the show and Global Cures website to many people who I know will be interested.
    One cancer cure that was not mentioned was mother’s milk!
    In 1999 I first heard the research about breast milk killing cancer. The researcher from Lund University and the University of Gothenburg, Sweden found that EVERY cancer cell he tried died of apoptosis when placed in mother’s milk. It is amazing to me this has not become a common cancer treatment and still not widely known.
    As you said in your show, standard chemo therapy is so toxic, with miserable side effects. The only side effect of mother’s milk is . . . nutrition. We feed it to our babies in large quantities! It is incredibly safe.
    It is so exciting that Global Cures has been formed to do this important research.
    Please see the website below and I hope you have a show about this in the future.
    Jane Bradshaw RN, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant

6. lilliana

I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR RECENT PROGRAMS RE CANCER, but also disheartened that 40 years and billions of dollars used in “the war on cancer” have been so abysmally misdirected, mediocre science yielding very bad medicine, and until recently too few in science, medicine and journalism questioning the orthodoxy, and not allowing patients to be more involved in understanding their health., so THEY CAN MAKE REALLY INFORMED CHOICES.
    I should be able to choose, I or anyone else with a terminal illness, compassionate care, namely most of what the FDA or the medical profession has not approved, yet in other countries have successfully killed the cancer. WHY NOT HERE? We have to create a medical system that is informed by common sense (genius in working clothes), food is medicine, a working, everyday understanding and appreciation of epi-genetics and not solely financial incentive- there are no silver bullets and evolutionary complexity should inspire AND inform more cooperative systems.
    I would like to hear more comments from physicians, scientists and others about these shows, many, many thanks and I hope these shows can jump start many positive changes as I certainly want to participate in innovative, potentially curative trials right now,
    Lilliana

7. BB

Thank you for such an illuminating program. Your thoughtful discussion raised many issues I was not aware of, and I hope other listeners will join me in following the mission of Global Cures through their website and e-newsletter.

8. cbs

Very informative and timely. Thank you so much. I am passing this onto my sister whose husband was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer.

9. L..S.

Thank you for this series of alternative therapies for cancer.
    I am astounded more is not known about many of the options mentioned on your shows. Is the AMA and other Cancer research organizations so indebted to Big Drug Companies they are scared to listen to people with integrity who are looking for better therapies for people with cancer. I certainly would ask my Dr. to look into some of the therapies talked about on your show. I so appreciate the Sukhatme’s for their courage and research.

10. Eddie

Naltrexone in low dose 3mg to 5mg helped many people I know with Multiple Sclerosis progression (stops it). Must be taken late, right before sleep. I wish Dr C’s fluid method would be tried on the immune disease Multiple Sclerosis.
    Great show. Thank you for putting drug compounds to them. They certainly didn’t answer like politicians. Excellent.

11. John B.

Excellent program. Finally, a group willing to do what the American Cancer Society has failed to do, and hindered, for the past 40 years, wasting billions of dollars. This is exciting! I wish them the best because there are major forces who would like to see them fail. Thank you! Thank you!

12. GAH

Thank you so much for today’s program with the Sukhatmes. We all need to be aware of what is going on in medicine — it is for our own good and that of our families.
    I’ll be looking forward to more. gah

13. AP

Has the American Cancer Society provided grants to or sponsored Global Cures work?

14. AP

How would the off-label treatments affect the doctor’s malpractice insurance and what does the AMA have to say about ethical clearance for such treatment? As for national standardization of medical release authorizations for such treatment, what is the position of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Medical Professional Liability?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: ALL GREAT QUESTIONS TO WHICH WE DON’T YET HAVE ANSWERS.

15. B Gold

Each Saturday and Sunday I look forward to listening to P P.
    Today. 8/21 makes me feel as if the money I send for Cancer Research is just being spent on the old way of thinking about a treatment for Cancer.
    In the future I would like to contribute to Global Cures. I tried to find the web-site but I was not successful. Please publish or email the correct address.
    B Gold Boca Raton, Fl
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE WEB SITE IS: http://www.global-cures.org/

16. A. G

Dear Terry and Joe, I want to write and tell you how much I’ve enjoyed the last three shows about cancer and immunology.
    I usually have trouble listening to your program which ordinarily strikes me as the “what new thing should I be worrying about this week show”. However, I found the last three shows intellectually stimulating and informative.
    While a program about the dangers of the next new thing for me to worry about has me switching the tuner for the mundane news of one of our local sports channels, these programs about cancer and immunology had me up each of the last Saturday mornings tuned into WUNC.
    I hope you will have more programs featuring basic sciene in the future.
    A.G.

17. GG

Excellent show. I hope there will be more on this clinical research project. We all need to talk about it with our doctors about it

18. G. Linder

This was a great show and I enjoyed the medical and clinical information provided. I look forward to hearing more on this subject matter.
    Thanks.