Q. I was having difficulty bending my right leg enough to put on my sock. I climbed steps like a three year old, one step at a time. I had to use my arms to get up from sitting.
In desperation, I decided to try your home remedy of grape juice with Certo. I planned to give it a month. Within three days I was putting on my socks with no difficulty. Yesterday (less than a month since I began), I found myself going up stairs like an adult. I understand that nobody knows how this works, and I am a skeptic, but it works for me!

A. Many years ago a reader suggested Certo mixed into grape juice instead of gin-soaked raisins for joint pain. Certo is plant pectin used in home canning to thicken jams and jellies.
Research hints that ingredients in red grape juice have anti-inflammatory properties (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, July, 2006). There are several recipes for the Certo/grape juice combination. You will find them and other home remedies in the Guide to Alternative Treatments for Arthritis we are sending. One variant calls for two teaspoons of Certo in three ounces of grape juice three times daily.

1. James J.
    Dallas, NC 28034

Since Kraft makes both Certro and Sure Gell (which are Fruit Pectins), do they both work on
    Arthritis?

2. ladyliza

I use 2 teaspoons of liquid certo and 2 T of grapejuice. You can use as much as you want but I am diabetic so I have to watch it. It works for any arthritic conditions. I buy certo by the case since the local grocery stores are so expensive. I suspect that a lot of people buy it for medicinal purposes and when the demand went up, so did the price. Amazon had a great price on it for a case last year. You can also use the dry certo.

3. Harry

I am 70 years old and have been taking grape juice and certo for about 5 years and believe me it works. I tried for a week not taking it and my knee began hurting again, so I drink about 5 oz. of grape juice with about 3 tea spoons of certo every morning and my knee feels great. Who needs a doctor? Thanks, Harry T., Richmond, Va.

4. Medina

My 76-year-old father had a stiff knee which wouldn’t flex properly. Within 4 days of taking 3oz grape juice with 2 tsp of Certo 3 times a day, he said he had 70% improvement in his knee. Three weeks later, his knee is back to normal although there was a temporary relapse in the 2nd week. Interestingly, my mother tried taking some for general aches & although it didn’t relieve the pain it *did* lower her blood pressure. Many, many thanks!

5. Barbara

I had suffered from Hip Bursitis for several years. The usual (drugs) did not cure it.
    This is what I have tried and it works… Buy a 64oz bottle of white grape juice. any brand. To this add 1 pkt of the 2 pkt box of Certo. This is water soluble. Shake and refrigerate. Take a half glass daily. I found that taking it mid morning was convenient. Also, pour off a little juice to add the Certo. After 4 days I felt different. By the time I had finished the bottle my hip Bursitis was gone. I use this recipe every few months.

6. Carmela

I read in Prevention pamphlet that Certo and Grape Juice helps lower high cholesterol, I don’t see commentary about that. Is that true or not, PLEASE help me PEOPLE’S PHARMACY ABOUT THIS. THANK YOU.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THERE HAVEN’T BEEN GOOD STUDIES OF THE COMBINATION IN HUMANS. HERE’S AN ABSTRACT OF A STUDY IN PIGS SHOWING IT MIGHT HELP: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19735187

7. Harry T.

About 3-4 years ago I continued to have pain in my left knee. The doctor could not help me, so I got on the web and found the solution and use it every morning. CERTO and GRAPE JUICE. I started out drinking 8 ounces in the morning but reduced it to 4 ounces and have been on it every since. I tried for 1 week not taking it and my knee started hurting again, so I started it again.
    I can’t go with out it. Certo can be found in the sugar isle of the grocery store. I mix 1 tea spoon of certo to each ounce of grape juice, shake it before drinking. There is no taste to it and you can experiment with the mixture, if you think you need a heavier dose. It does the trick.

8. Silma

I live in Puerto Rico. I want to know where I can buy Certo in Puerto Rico or in the United States
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: TRY A SUPERMARKET. MOST IN THE U.S. CARRY IT IN THE HOME CANNING SECTION.

9. Theresa

What would be the difference if we a whole jar for. Just put 1 tab to 4 oz. x how many oz is in grape juice bottle. Store in refrigerator. I just thinking on how my busy life is. :)

10. Mg

Come on, it has NO taste. And cut the top, stick in a tablespoon and put on a glass, clothes pin it shut in a glass and put in the fridge. Folks, what is the big deal? Do not like it? Go to the doc and get the drug companies rich as you suffer side effects.

11. FC

Would like to know what it is about the certo that is important? I understand the grape juice is for inflammation.

12. Mike R.

I just learned of this remedy from a friend who has used it for a few years. He was in bad shape all over his joints and refused to take pain meds. Within 3 days he had zero pain and has felt great since.
    He mixes one pouch in a 64 oz. jug of grape juice. He drinks about 4 oz. everyday. Shake well each time you drink it. One jug should last about two weeks. Use 100% pure, top grade Organic Grape Juice for best results. God bless!

13. Mike R.

14. Bev

I’ve had trouble getting out of bed in the morning for over 2 years now. My husband has had chronic long term pain for many many years due to him getting e-coli from food he ate in Germany. It triggered several medical problems, one being RA. The juice and certo helped me the same day I started taking it.
    I’m very fortunate that at 53 I take no meds at all other than a Tums or aspirin on occasion. It took him a few days for it to somewhat help him. How I know is I haven’t heard him complain as much and I don’t dare say that it could be the juice or he’ll swear it off as coincidence.
    The amount we calculated is one pouch of liquid Certo to 54 (fifty four) ounces grape juice. Someone here mentioned not being able to find the powdered pectin in the store anymore. It looks like it’s under the brand Sure Jell. Both are made by the same manufacturer just a different name.
    I haven’t tried the powder just yet. I’ll wait a couple of weeks to make sure it’s in my system then switch, just to see if it makes a difference. I’m typically a skeptic but this actually worked for me and at least a little for my husband, which for that I’m grateful! Thank you so much

15. Donna H

My dad wants to try the certo and grape juice. He has diabetes also. Is there sugar in the certo? Would the certo be bad for a diabetic? Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: CERTO ITSELF DOES NOT CONTAIN CERTO, BUT GRAPE JUICE CAN BE FAIRLY SWEET.

16. mc

I had surgery on my right knee in December 2007, and for one year now my left knee is acting up and the doctor said I will need surgery, so I am willing to try this remedy, and hopefully I will avoid another surgery :)
    I will keep you posted with my results, thank you very much.

17. Barb

After looking at Peoples Pharmacy recipes in our local Wednesday paper. I decided to try the Certo and Grape juice.
    I had Bursitus in my shoulder, hip and knees for over 5 years. My nails had dry white lines along them. All gone, a miracle, in 4 days. No pain meant my hip relaxed and my massage therapist was shocked.
    I experimented. Safeway carries both Certo and white grape juice. I mixed 64 oz of Grape juice and 1 package of Certo. I take only 4 ozs of the mixture mid morning. I am in complete awe.
    Goes along with the soap under the sheet miracle. Certo can be found in the canning areas of the Supermarket. I have stockedup for Winter. Thx.

18. Rusty P

After being on the mixture of Certo & unsweetened grape juice for 9 days, my bad knees are responding very well. My pain is much diminished, and I am getting a better nights sleep due to less joint pain. I am seeing a weight gain due to the high sugar content of Concord unsweetened grape juice.
    If I were a diabetic, I would experiment with the powdered pectin on cereal or other foods, to avoid the sugar. I really believe the Certo is the major contributor to the good results, and the grape juice is a great antioxidant acting as carrier for the Certo to make it taste good. In order to stop the weight gain, I expect I will try the pectin powder when my supply of Certo & grape juice runs out. I will probably just add it to my daily raw foods drink which I blend.
    I have an idea that I soon will be able to start walking for my health again. Walking will build muscle strength. I bet in November, I will be able to go dancing for my 78th birthday. I had to give this up due to my knee pain 15 years ago.
    Rusty P

19. Cecile D

I have diabetes and would like to try the certo and grape juice, I have a bad knee and had a cortisone shot which raised my blood sugars up into the upper 200,s. I cannot have these shots very often as you know. Could you give me the recipe, and would it be as effective in the no sugar added juice?
    Cecile
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: ONE READER TRIED IT AND SAID IT WORKED JUST AS WELL (ONLY MODERATELY) WITH THE NO-SUGAR JUICE AS WITH THE REGULAR CONCORD GRAPE JUICE. ONE RECIPE IS A TABLESPOON OF CERTO IN 8 OZ OF GRAPE JUICE DAILY.

20. bloomergal

I think people are confused about the grape juice.
    What you want to buy is a good full-strength/organic concord grape juice with NO ADDED SUGAR. Read the label. You DO NOT want any made from concentrates or with other juices added.
    Stores in Seattle that carry it are: Fred Meyer Health Foods Aisle, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and probably Metropolitan Market and PCC.
    Expect to pay around $5.00-$6.00 a quart.
    If you have a juicer, buy fresh red or concord grapes and make your own! Tastes great!
    Something else to consider: You can buy apple pectin powder in the fiber aisle of many health/vitamin supplement stores. It’s a very light powder that can be blended into juices, smoothies, sprinkled on cereal. As an affordable alternate to Certo (a brand name) you could add a TBS of powdered apple pectin to 4 oz of grape juice.

21. David

Exactly what kind of recommendation is this? Research hints?????? Nobody knows how it works????? You need to do better than that. Even quacks can write a better article.

22. Rhavda E.

Recently I read about the Certo and grape juice. I decided to try this combination but I found out that evening as I was preparing to make it that I had the Certo and my husband had drank up the grape juice. So I decided to try making Certo with home-made grape jelly. Much to my surprise, this combination appears to be working quite well for my shoulder and hip pain. I thought that you might enjoy this slight adjustment to the original formula.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THE RESULTS OF YOUR EXPERIMENT!

23. DCR

I’ve looked at many places but can’t find red grape juice. Please help me find it in Seattle.

24. starr b.

Hi, how long do I take grape juice & certo, and how much grape juice to certo?
    thanks
    starr
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: MOST PEOPLE REPORT THAT THE BENEFITS DROP OFF WITHIN SEVERAL DAYS OF STOPPING THIS COMBINATION. THERE ARE A FEW DIFFERENT RECIPES; ONE IS 1 TABLESPOON CERTO TO 8 OZ GRAPE JUICE DAILY.

25. bloomergal

Health food shops also carry very lightweight apple pectin granules that can be taken in water or juice or sprinkled on other foods.

26. bloomergal

I believe the active ingredient in Certo is pectin, the substance that caused liquids to jell. There are other sources of pectin in many fruits, including the pith of citrus fruits. I take grapefruit pectin capsules as a fiber supplement. It’s not as dramatic in result as the Certo, but seems to help over time and is much more affordable.

27. m

Any idea where you can buy red grape juice?