Q. At my 40th high school reunion, we indulged in some “girl talk.” My dear friend told us about arginine cream. She got a prescription for this to improve her sexual response and swears it is working well. The instructions are to apply it to the clitoris about 20 minutes before sexual activity.
Is this too good to be true? I’d like to get good information on this compound and I hope you can help.

A. L-arginine is an amino acid found in many foods. It is a building block for nitric oxide, a powerful natural vasodilator.
When L-arginine cream is applied to the feet of people with diabetes, it appears to improve blood flow and temperature (Diabetes Care, Jan. 2004). We could find no published research on the effectiveness of L-arginine cream for female sexual dissatisfaction, but a clinical trial is pending.

1. BJ

Can I take l-arginine, fish oil, vit. D3, vit. E, C Q10, B complex and MK7 at the same time. Empty stomach?

2. BJC

I have a question regarding taking L-arginine. Dr. Oz recommended it on his tv show for women over 40 who wanted to have more energy. I have taken it in the afternoon and experienced a significant increase in energy. Are there any negative side effects?

3. LD

Where does one get L-arginine cream for poor circulation in diabetics’ feet?

4. abigail

How would taking L-Argenine or applying it to our feet affect those of us who have repeated shingles outbreaks that are relieved by taking L-Lysine?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: PRESUMABLY SOME OF THE L-ARGININE IS ABSORBED. IT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD IDEA FOR PEOPLE SUSCEPTIBLE TO REPEATED HERPES REACTIONS (COLD SORES, SHINGLES)

5. PGW

Where can one buy this cream?

6. ebm

I found that when taking too many pills with Arginine in them, cold sores/fever blisters
    appear. My remedy is to supplement with L-Lysine, which is “overpowered” by Arginine.
    What is the difference between L-arginine and arginine?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE “L-” IN FRONT OF AMINO ACIDS LIKE ARGININE OR LYSINE SPECIFIES THE “LEVO-” OR “LEFT-HANDED” FORM. THESE COMPOUNDS CAN GO EITHER LEFT OR RIGHT.