Joe Graedon discusses how to treat dandruff in this People’s Pharmacy Video.

1. Dandruff

no idea why this works, but it does/has done for yrs.
    yrs ago, got dandruff/dry itchy scalp every so often. tried a few things, on/off, never cared for them.
    One day, I scrubbed my scalp with table salt. (wet scalp first). Then washed as usual, with any shampoo.
    worked wonderfully.
    Have been using salt for yrs now, every so often (when it feels like it needs it). Works great. Does not seem to dry scalp/hair.

2. Chris

I still use the hydrogen peroxide, but rarely now, as it has totally cleared up the problem. Such a releif!
    Thanks for the tip with the clothes, I will try that. I have some dish towels that get a hard to get out smell.

3. Amanda

Chris- that is really interesting. I currently have dandruff and anti dandruff shampoos have failed to work well. I am going to try your method. I believe your method based on personal experience with hydrogen peroxide and fungus. I have found hydrogen peroxide is excellent for clothing that smells like mildew. I discovered it out of frustration one day when I couldn’t get the smell out. I had heard it could be a bleach alternative and did it as a last ditch effort. I usually pour about 1/2 cup to a cup in the laundry while the water is filling along with the detergent. It might be overkill on the hydrogen peroxide, but I want to make certain my clothes don’t smell.

4. Chris

I have tried numerous products for Dandruff. The only one that works, consistently, is the regular Hydrogen Peroxide off the shelf, for 1 or 2 dollars a bottle. I have been using it for years, and no one, anywhere, believes that it works. SO, I just keep using it, and I have no dandruff, and healthy hair.
    Mainly in the winter time, I rub it into the dry scalp, for 2 or 3 minutes, then I wash my hair regularly. I only need to use it rarely now, but need it for several showers if I miss it for several months in a row, as the heavy flakes return.
    After the scalp is healthy, there is no tingling sensation. The tingling is only felt in the areas of the scalp that are infected.
    (Do not leave it on the hair, and then go into the sun, as it will bleach the color, in the sunlight)
    (Do not let it drip into the eyes, as it burns. I have done this, with no ill effect, but it burns a lot. I keep the eyes closed if I pour too much onto the scalp)
    I tried this remedy, many years ago, out of the frustration over the other products not working very well. Thought that I would share it here.

5. FRF

You had a column on dandruff in the “Seattle Times” today. I was bothered with severe dandruff through junior high and high school. In the late 50’s I discovered a product (by Revlon) called ZP-11. It cleared up my problem on the first use. Then it disappeared from the drug store shelves, but I soon found (blue)Top Brass with ZP-11 and it’s just as good. It takes about 1/16 of a teaspoon rubbed into the scalp and hair. I also put a tiny bit on my ears.
    Now I see they are discontinuing it. Last time I ordered it online and got several at a very reasonable price. Now that it’s being discontinued the price has gone up, believe me! When my supply is gone I will be searching again. Why doesn’t Revlon advertise the stuff? There would be a big demand. Lots of people have dandruff. My brother uses it, too, and my husband has found it very soothing for his scalp. My husband’s dermatologist was removing “pre-cancerous lesions” fairly often and the hair creme has helped greatly. It leaves your hair lovely and soft, not the least bit greasy.
    R

6. Linda

I was reading the “cures” for dandruff, dry scalp. I have not found a shampoo that really worked and have tried several. It was said in the video to alternate shampoos. So how long would you use one then switch to another? And then after shampooing with one then you rinse it out with Listerine or Vinegar (which really works better between the 2?) or just water then rinse with Listerine? Do you leave the Listerine on for a few minutes? Thanks for the answers, I am very frustrated with this issue.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE ARE NOT SURE WHETHER VINEGAR OR LISTERINE WORKS BETTER. WE’D LOVE TO HAVE SOMEONE DO THE EXPERIMENT AND REPORT THE RESULTS TO US.
    AS FOR SWITCHING SHAMPOOS: USE ONE FOR AT LEAST THREE SHAMPOOS IN A ROW, NOT MORE THAN SIX SHAMPOO “EPISODES.” (WE COULD SAY DAYS, BUT IT ISN’T ALWAYS NECESSARY TO WASH HAIR DAILY.) SWITCH TO ANOTHER TYPE. USE THREE DIFFERENT TYPES. GOOD LUCK!

7. Dg

What do they mean by rinse after shampooing? Do I rinse the shampoo out with the Listerine and do I leave it on?

8. aw

Is this effective for scalp psoriasis? Will it help deter scale build up? Any other remedies that help – have tried injections and topicals. Thanks.

9. KH

If you go to the “dollar store”, you can find mouthwash that has the same identical components of Listerine and it works great—for a buck!

10. Miriam

I need help with itching scalp and hair loss.my daughter scalps itch so much that she always is scratching and ,he looses hair.what to do?

11. Nita

As a Cosmotologist I discovered Listerine for dandruff long ago. Sea Breeze works well, or Witch Hazel. I don’t think it is necessary to always rinse out, especially if the hair tends to be oily. Sea Breee leaves the scalp feeling cool & fresh.

12. Alan

Joe and Terry,
    I try to catch you guys every Saturday morning on Wemc, Harrisonburg, VA the oldest and longest running public radio station in Virginia (or is it the world?)
    You have the most interesting program since Car Talk came into being. Am I kidding about this?
    Thanks for your pleasant and interesting show.
    Alan Elliott
    Harrisonburg, VA

13. Alan

I don’t have dandruff, but that is interesting and I will pass it on. Uh, Listerine – I guess one’s head would smell like a medicine cabinet. I used to use Head and Shoulders and it worked for dandruff and that smelled like a medicine cabinet also. Now I wash my hair every day with whatever my wife buys. No more dandruff.