Learn about constipation treatments in this video by Joe and Terry Graedon.

1. rm

I have tried it all with many side effects. Bloating, numbness and tingling .. etc etc . I usually go about every 7 days and its had as a brick. Dr not concerned HUH????????? any ideas for softeners, natural?

2. valerie f.

I will try this instead of senna or miralax. Have also tried other products and THE juice with fiber has worked for me. I plan to try the gum. THANKS

3. sjks

I read your response to the 63-year old woman who had trouble with constipation during her travels and wondered why hydration wasn’t mentioned. I had taken a gerontology class and our teacher said that as people age, their thirst trigger decreases and usually leaves people dehydrated without their knowledge. Also, caffeine works as a diuretic and can cause dehydration and possibly cause constipation. What are your thoughts?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT IS, OF COURSE, IMPORTANT TO STAY ADEQUATELY HYDRATED, BUT DRINKING EXTRA WATER HAS NOT BEEN SHOWN TO PREVENT CONSTIPATION.

4. James K., Raleigh, NC

If you take too much Magnesium you will get diarrhea, if you are taking 1,200mg that is enough normally you would take 500-1000mg including what you get in your diet. Do balance it with Calcium. I would consider a cereal like Uncle Sam cereal, high in fiber, low in sugar.

5. JB

Magnesium deficiency can manifest so many different ways, and adding it back into the diet can be helpful in many ways. There are numerous different magnesium compounds on the market, some with very subtle differences than can affect benefits and consequences. I think I had read about 11 different magnesium compounds at last check. For myself, magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate seemed to affect me differently.
    Magnesium oxide may have been the source of itchy bumps for me, but the magnesium citrate doesn’t seem to do that to me. Every person is different. Finding your own minimum requirement which helps your issue without giving you negative side effects seems logical. What other people recommend can be a good starting point, but it shouldn’t be your ultimate consideration.

6. mp

So many thanks for this video. Because of so many yrs. of constipation, I had been using a generic fiber (Metamucil type) and was concerned about using it daily. Your info tells me it’s ok and I will go back to the amount I was using that helped so much.

7. S Cornelison

Wow – I did not know about the sugarless gum trick! I get constipated on trips… and do use the Metamucil wafers. Also Fiber Con with prune juice – it works! Thanks!

8. RS

Coincidentally I was checking your website for questions regarding constipation. Having added fiber and stool softeners with limited success my physician recommended adding magnesium supplements which has helped tremendously – but how much? I am currently taking 1200 mgs a day – are there any side effects that I should be aware of?