Q. I read about mixing amber Listerine and vinegar to help toenail fungus with a side benefit of softening the feet as well. I’d love to know the ratio, since I’m always looking for ways to help with rough heels!
A. There is no research on this, but we think it makes sense to try a solution of equal parts Listerine and vinegar.

1. DMD

I have tried everything to get rid of dry cracked heels and dry skin on my feet ever winter. Pumice stone, thick cream, fancy cream, tried everything. Tried this because someone told me it worked for them. I think you have to make sure the ratio is right and that you soak for at least the 20-25 minutes. My feet came out soft and I used a pumice stone after to remove the little roughness that was left. Worked great for me.

2. Veronica

Hi,
    I read about the listerine remedy for athlete’s foot in your column and decided to try it, however I spilled some on my carpet. Now I cannot get the stains out. I’ve used carpet cleaner and it looks like they’ve gone but after a while they come back. Anyone else had this problem and know of a cleaner that works?
    Thanks
    P.S. The listerine didn’t work – just dried my feet up even more than usual (the alcohol I guess?)

3. AAL

Should feet be soaked in this solution? If so, how frequently and for how long, and could the solution be reused? Or should it be sponged onto feet?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SOAK THE FEET FOR 20 MINUTES SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK. THE SOLUTION CAN BE REUSED SEVERAL TIMES.

4. STEVE

Toe nail fungus: I have been using a foaming antibacterial hand wash with the ingredient triclosan for about 3 years now. It is also anti fungal. Originally I used the Dial brand, but now I use the Target brand refill which is 0.6% strength and less expensive. I normally apply it after a shower and do not wash it off. I consider it effective for keeping my toe nail fungus in check.
    However as a sideline I have looked up triclosan on the internet and I have found information that it includes or can convert into dioxin which may or may not be a carcinogen. The article I read was from Wikipedia. Sure wish Peoples Pharmacy would comment on this.

5. PWT

What about vinegar & Listerine for fingernail fungus? Ever thing I see is about toenail fungus.

6. Robert

Nothing better than feet that smelly minty and vinegary at the same time ;-)