Q. Which is better, fish oil or flax oil capsules?
A. Both contain omega-3 fatty acids, but it is much harder for the body to utilize the fats from flax seed oil. If your goal is to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, fish oil is preferable.

1. Holly

I’m so glad I’m not crazy! I’ve taken fish oil in the past for depression, and it worked great. I had not needed any for about a year until recently. So I picked up some high grade fish oil. After about 2 days, I was having painful urgency to urinate, and passing little black specks in my urine. I just assumed I was passing a kidney stone as I’ve had trouble with them in the past–but never a black one before. So I waited 2 weeks, then switched to a less potent fish oil, and again within 2 days, I am having urgency and pain in my bladder all night long, and once again a tiny black speck.
    Has anyone who has had these same bladder/fish oil reactions tried taking flaxseed oil with better results? Also, I don’t know if there is a connection, but I also am allergic to sulfa drugs.
    Holly

2. LM

I was reassured when I read others had gotten uti infections from the fish oil. I just decided last week to try Omega 3 fish oil and got this terrible uti haven’t had one in over 20 years! I do not see where there was any confirmation to this or if there was something else that could be taken?

3. kbb

Hello, I have recently gotten bladder infections, and trying to figure out which supplement it is … I am taking an increase in fish oil ( trying to get pregnant) , and I am sensitive to sulfa. What is the correlation between sulfa and fish oil? I would appreciate any help … it is difficult trying to figure out what the heck is giving me these things!! thank you!!

4. Jan

My Dr. was just SURE I couldn’t get an infection from the fish oil, she made it a prescription to be filled out by CVS. Still, it happened. I don’t care if anyone believes it or not- fish oil gives me urinary problems and I’m okay without it. j

5. Jan

Connie, I tried that durn fish oil 3 times and 3 UTI’s. I told the Dr. I wouldn’t have it again and IF I got another UTI, I would go on the oil immediately. That was a year ago last Sept. No problems- Drs. can’t understand it but I’m staying away from any fish oil. Seafood actually makes me nauseous, so maybe there’s something about it I react to? jan

6. Diane

I was advised by the executive director physician at Dr. Andrew Weil’s Integrative Medicine Clinic in Tuscon, Az to take as much as 5000 mg of fish oil and up to 4 tbsp of ground flaxseed oil each day. I use Mega EFA which has the highest ratio of EPA/DHA I have found and their fish oils are purified and molecularly distilled with no traces of mercury/pcb’s. There are no fishy returns and I keep both fish oil and ground flax seed in the freezer at the advice of this doctor. I grind the flax seed myself in a coffee grinder. Can’t get more than 2 tbsp down in a day though. Been doing this for years with no negative effects whatsoever.

7. Connie

Very interesting, Have very high cholesterol and took omega fish oil for quite a while and had no problem other than it raised my LDL. Decided to try Krill oil, after 4 weeks developed a UTI. Very strange, Doc said it could not be from the krill. Interested to know if you’ve tried fish oil again and had similar results.

8. NH

I’m also allergic to sulfa drugs and have had bladder infections since starting to take fish oil. Is sulfa in all fish oil capsules or just some brands?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE HAVEN’T SEEN ANY INDICATION THAT FISH OIL CONTAINS SULFA OF THE SORT FOUND IN SULFA ANTIBIOTICS.

9. GMS

Omega 3 fatty acids are very beneficial. People should get both flax seed and cold water fish oil. Also, avoid any trans fat or partially hydrogenated veg. oil.

10. JS

I recall your program several months ago wherein a scientist working with fish oil and tri-glycerides recommended a dosage of, I believe, 4,000 mg. daily. I cannot find this dosage on your web site. Please advise and keep up the good work.

11. CL

Is there anyway to increase the body’s absorption of flax or help your body utilize it? I don’t eat fish or fish by-products. Also, is flax meal as effective as flax oil? Thank you.

12. Diane

I use ground flax seeds almost every day. A GI doctor told me that they were toxic, esp if using more than 1 or 2 TBS. Someone else mentioned that is what linseed oil is made from which we use on our wood shingle roof. Sounds a little questionable to me. Any comments?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: FLAX SEEDS CONTAIN CYANOGENIC GLUCOSIDES. THAT IS, THEY CAN GENERATE CYANIDE, WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY POISONOUS. THERE IS CONSIDERABLE DEBATE WHETHER THIS IS RELEVANT FOR PEOPLE.

13. Greg Pharmacy Student

Wes,
    Yes fish oil is known to increase LDL. The significance of this is not known.

14. AC

Find a fish oil labeled “enteric coated” which means it won’t break down in your upper digestive tract… will break down lower in system, so your body still benefits, but w/o yucky taste. I hate fish taste of any kind, and I take these successfully.

15. Wes

Fish oil worked wonders for my triglicerides, but not for my LDL.

16. LW

Good comments and very helpful. Solution of taking one flax in morning and 1 fish oil at night will solve my problem too. Thank you. LW

17. Brent B.

My friend Tony Pantalleresco (who has a program called The Remedy on The Micro Effect) says that you should avoid fish oil, because it tends to be contaminated with mercury (as recent studies have confirmed). He recommends algae sources of Omega-3 oils. I’ve also heard good things about krill oil, which is recommended by Dr. Joseph Mercola.
    Other alternatives include hemp seed and perilla oil. Hemp seems to have a good balance of Omega oils but I haven’t done much research into perilla (which is supposed to be helpful for asthma). Flax may also have some negative effects on hormones. I would also look into what Udo Erasmus recommends, since he’s been one of the big forces behind the popularity of Omega oils, and he does sell his own balanced formula.
    In any case, do your own research and seek out quality reputable brands. And why not get your Omega-3 oils by eating smaller fish like anchovies and wild salmon? That’s the tastiest way of all.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: FISH OIL FROM SMALLER FISH IS A GOOD IDEA, BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT MERCURY IN FISH OIL. CONSUMER LAB.COM DIDN’T FIND ANY WHEN THEY TESTED.
    WE DO WORRY ABOUT PCB THOUGH.

18. Tom in Florida

My eye Dr wants me to take all Flax seed oil and my regular physician wants me to take all Fish oil to lower my cholesterol. Solution. Flax in the morning, Fish Oil at night.

19. JLS

I was told to take the omega-3 fish oil since I can’t take statins (side effects), high chol. and osteoporosis. I got a bladder infection. Soon after I went back on the oil, another bladder infection. Two Drs. said it couldn’t possibly be the cause and upped the dose of the oil.
    Two weeks to the day, another bladder infection and so ill, needed to see a Dr. who scheduled tests that found I was severely reactive to sulfa drugs. I said if I got another bladder infection, I would go to a urologist and go back on the oil. No oil, no more infections.

20. sallyc111

I am taking fish oil, but sometimes I get fishy burps… I do refrigerate my fish oil, is there anything else I could do? I heard that Krill oil doesn’t make you burp, but have no idea where to find it & do not want yet another expensive product…..