Q. I have arthritis in my fingers and knees. Using a computer makes it worse and running on the treadmill has become difficult.
Anti-inflammatory medications make me constipated. Can you send me your Power Pudding recipe to ease my discomfort?
Why don’t you write a book? I clip your articles but they get lost and it’s not always convenient to use your website. I would reach for your book like an encyclopedia.

A. Nurses know about Power Pudding to help alleviate severe constipation. It contains 1 cup applesauce, 3/4 cup prune juice and 1 cup coarse bran.
We are sending you more details about the recipe in our book, Favorite Home Remedies From The People’s Pharmacy. It also offers a number of natural options for easing arthritis, including herbs such as boswellia, cayenne and turmeric and remedies such as cherry juice, gin-soaked raisins and grape juice with Certo.

1. JMM

Hello,
    I recently (6 month ago) had an operation for “Diverticulitis” and have been battling ever since to get regular bowl movement – very uncomfortable and lots of cramping when I do have a bowl movement. I use bran every morning and have salads daily – I also eat fruit daily – I take anti inflammatory daily – I take one quarter Aloe tummy regulator daily – I have not been able to regulate my bowl movement since the operation, notwithstanding my dietary efforts, now I am looking at Epsom salts, taken at the rate of half teaspoon daily, but do not know if I can take this on such a regular basis. The doctors have recommended Movicol on a daily basis, but that is very expensive – I can not afford this.
    If there is anyone out there who can give me some idea of my future course of action to get regular I’d appreciate this.
    Hans
    (If age is a criteria for a recommendation, please know that I am 77 years young)

2. Nafees N.

I am trying to use the home remedy of grape juice & Certo for arthritis relief. I could only find liquid Certo. I am finding it almost impossible to dissolve the Certo in the grape juice. Should I heat the juice?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: HEATING THE JUICE SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY. USUALLY JUST STIRRING THE TWO TOGETHER WORKS.

3. CEF

I was taking Ultram (which definitely caused constipation and too much sedation) My Arthritis doctor prescribed Meloxicam which doesn’t have constipation as a side effect (hope this is not what you were on!) Just thought I’d mention this…CEF

4. JD

I have made up your Power Pudding recipe as published in the Oregonian on 3/20/10. However, I’m not sure how much to take and how often. Please email me with that information. I’m hoping this pudding finally solves my constipation problem
    JD

5. E.D.

I would like to know how much of the Power Pudding to eat each day to prevent constipation. Thanks!

6. ebm

Ann, when I was gluten free, I used to rinse the miller’s bran real well and when the
    water ran clear, strain it and press out the water. I used it in baking and also store
    it in a glass jar in the fridge to take a tablespoon after eating baked stuff made with
    rice flour (which I found very constipating). I take a spoon full and wash it down with
    water. Also use it in meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs and pancakes and sweet breads like banana bread. Better check out if the washing out the flour in the bran is good enough if you are real sensitive or cystic.
    The gluten free pudding would have to be another fiber product like Metamucil or benefiber or plain psyllium seed power from the health store.
    Good luck.

7. PP

Ann, you might try using oat bran.

8. Ann H.

Do you have a gluten-free version of Power Pudding? Thank you.