Q. I had plantar warts on the bottoms of my feet for close to five years. It got to the point where I didn’t wear flip flops or anything that showed my feet, which was hard because I’m a surfer and a skateboarder.
I tried everything including duct tape. My dermatologist applied liquid nitrogen to freeze them off and eventually used a blister treatment to try to lift them off. Nothing worked!
Then one day the doctor decided to prescribe an experimental treatment called Tagamet. It took this heartburn medicine about two months to work completely, but my warts finally went away. I have to say this treatment is NOT experimental. It really works.

A. Although scientific studies have produced mixed results when it comes to Tagamet (cimetidine) against warts, we have heard from many others who believe this oral heartburn drug really works. Many have tried every home remedy and dermatologist-prescribed treatment in the book, only to find that Tagamet was the final answer.

1. sm

Thats a high does. In my opinion, you should wean down to 400mg a day to keep up the effect.

2. sm

It’s OTC cimetidine however if you get an RX for it insurance co pay would generally be less.
    Most adults need about 400 mg a day at least and walmart sells 200×60 pills for about $10. Thats $35 ish bucks for 3 months treatment while your copay would be more around $4 since its generic.

3. sm

Probably 400 mg /day. I did this and I am 220

4. Tiffany

Does anyone know what the dosage would be for a 70 pound 6 year old and a 22 pound 19 month old to treat molluscum?
    People’s Pharmacy response: We don’t know if molluscum contagiosum will respond to cimetidine, but we would check with the pediatrician on dosage before giving it to them.
    You may also find this interesting:

5. Samantha

Is the tagemet OTC or does it have to be prescribed?

6. jessica

Just use generic cimetidine. Worked for me. Really cheap.

7. jessica

Tried twice…12 years in between…both times took 800 mg 3x day…results didn’t start til 10-12 weeks..then keep taking a month after resolution… Just to be safe. Can cause depression and agitation..no fun…hang in there…can take up to 4 months. Use dermaplast pads by curad also. Good luck. PS my teenager only took 200 mg 2x a day for a few months and warts resolved….