jock itch

Q. I have a bad case of jock itch, for want of a better word. I’ve used Neosporin and Lotrimin Ultra and one other medication I can’t remember right now. I thought it was getting better, but while I was still using the medications, it came back. Nothing I used has helped at all.

I dry the area well after bathing and I use baby powder, but I am still having trouble. The skin has now reached the point of being dry, cracked and bleeding. Can you offer any suggestions?

A. Jock itch is normally caused by a fungal infection. Neosporin, which contains topical antibiotics, is not likely to cure a fungus.

Lotrimin Ultra contains butenafine, an antifungal ingredient, so it should have helped. You may want to alternate it with other OTC antifungal products such as clotrimazole (Lotrimin AF, Mycelex), miconazole (Micatin, Zeasorb-AF) or tolnaftate (Aftate, Tinactin).

Many readers of this column report that a skin cleanser called Cetaphil can be very helpful against chronic jock itch. It is soothing and contains propylene glycol and cetyl alcohol, which have antifungal activity. One young woman said it was as effective for her as for men.

Some people benefit from applying dandruff shampoo such as Selsun Blue to the area. Lather, let it stay on the affected zone for five minutes and then rinse. Selenium sulfide, the active ingredient, has antifungal activity.

Once the inflamed skin has healed, you may want to try applications of vinegar or original (amber) Listerine. Listerine contains herbal oils that fight fungus, while vinegar makes the skin too acidic to be hospitable to the fungus. Antiperspirant on the groin area can help keep it dry and discourage fungus overgrowth as well.

1. curtis m

I have small little bumps on the inner part of my thighs like its a rash, and I am itching around the whole area and under my groin area to.. and I have some bumps on the inner part of my butt checks also.. I have never had this before.. so could anyone tell me is this a case of the jock itch, or could it be just a case of a skin rash…

2. Guy
    USA

Salt paste (just sea salt and water) saved my penis from a very bad fungal infection. I am so angry at the mainstream doctors i went to for not knowing this. They had me on non effective pharma creams that cost big bucks, causing me more weeks of horrible pain and causing the infection to spread. The cure was so simple that the doctors still can’t admit that the salt is what actually cured it. It works immediately, that how how i know it was the salt. Here’s my experience:

Layer salt paste over the infection and let it sit for as long as you can, at least 20 mins but i recommend and hour to be sure you kill the fungi. You should notice alot of swelling occur within a FEW MINUTES under and around the infected area…..mine swelled up so much i was a little scared! But through the swelling, i saw little patches of the fungus that was embedded in my skin turn reddish/brown (which is the fungus dying). When the fungus dies it leaves a hole in your skin that has to fill in. From here use organic healing oils to assure a fast recovery. If the hole isn’t too big, the scarring should be minimal. Good luck my friends

3. E.Rich
    bmore MD

I have had wrangled with jock itch since my early 20’s,i have relied heavily on prescription creams then all the sudden THEY STOPPED WORKING… But it was a blessing! I read an several things on line about *TEA TREE OIL* yes this miracle saved me, i itched sooo bad some times it kept me from sleeping… I applied tea tree oil once an in the First treatment it helped! If you have debilitating jock itch…TEA TREE OIL WORKS! AND FAST!

• commonsense

If you put 100% tea tree oil on your crotch, you’re going to be in a lot more pain than from jock itch. That’s strong stuff.

4. c

Aloe Vera, INSTANT RELIEF! I couldnt believe how good it felt, it feels like I have my balls back! I used the plant, but apparently creams work too.

5. rocky r.
    United States

What is the best undewear to use to help eliminate my jock itch? I think the bleach and perfumed detergents used on my underwear has caused this problem as well.

6. EFK

IF everything else has failed…. Gold Bond body powder works wonders. I think it is the zinc. I had a SEVERE problem, GB cured within a week. I still use it regularly for preventative measures.

7. Jim

Why put talcum powder on jock itch when they have jock itch medication in powder form to try?

8. Mike V

I have had a chronic groin itch for years. It used to get so bad, that otc medications wouldn’t clear it up. Twice I have seen a doctor and expensive prescriptions did work. Then one time, I couldn’t find any men’s treatments at the store so out of desperation, I purchased the preparation for female yeast infections. My rash cleared up over night and with a weeks use, didn’t recur for months. I keep it on hand at all times. I apply at the first systems, they are gone usually in a day or two. Recently just to double check. I went thought a whole can of a men’s leading spray. Twice a day for a week. The itch was back in one day. Back to the ladies stuff for me.

9. EK

Exact same thing worked for me. I use the pyrithione zinc soap. I lathered up in the tub at night and let it “soak in” for 10 minutes. Miraculous for me. It felt better first time. Use gold bond body powder after shower or bath
    Soaking with the soap feels “oh so good”

10. Sam

I had it pretty bad. It’s taken a couple months, but it’s almost all gone. I use Nizoral shampoo on the area, its from Walgreens almost every day. Also I use “Boudreaux’s Butt Past” which is VERY effective! It also works on athletes feet. Also lots of air. I don’t wear underwear at all, just keeps in heat and moisture. Wash sheets and change cloths regularly.
    Warning! A lot of these home remedies aren’t effective. Especially the peppers, garlic and bleach. Do not use bleach!!! Makes it itch very badly. Remember this is a fungus not bacteria.
    Good luck!!

11. ZAYN

I have a very bad rashes between my butt crack and the rashes is not red in color. Is it a rash thing or any other thing than rashes or fungus and I bought some medicines for it will it help? NEOSPORIN after MICONAZOLE… and the washing with epsom salt along with half boiled water…

12. Jock Scratcher

I’ve been dealing with this jock itch/ringworm problem for many years. I thought I had psoriasis until I recently started to research my issue. One thing I have read to do is change bedding every night. Not many folks have mentioned that but it does make some since. I have used some anti fungus stuff for a couple weeks, lotromine and another otc type and had some relief, but I’m trying a variety of other things as well. I seem to sweat a lot around my crotch and feet. I stopped wearing underwear about 15 years ago and I think that helps. I’m thinking about getting some performance tight type underwear from rei or somewhere to help wick the moisture away from my crotcgh, that might work?
    For now I think I’m gonna try the tea tree/garlic/vinegar treatment along with the selsun blue or nizoral shampoo treatment wash. Sounds crazy lol! I also bought some Boudreaux”s but cream..haha! This jock itch is amazingly resilient!! I can’t believe how much time and money it takes some of us to kick this stuff! I am a clean guy, but I hear Irish and Scottish are susceptible to skin issues (about 25%!) I’m hitting it hard with all I got though and you should to, because it is very annoying and painful. I will post back with more results. Good luck!

13. James R.

I know this sounds weird but I play rugby and ride my bike about 300 miles a week. I have had jock itch on and off for years and have used everything out there. Some over the counter stuff works okay but nothing has helped to keep it from coming back all the time.
    My wife turned me on to (believe it or not) a hot pepper spray for jock itch and it worked. It burned a little at first but once I started using it, the burning got less. I won’t name the product here but it’s a hot pepper jock itch spray. It took away my itch and seems to be keeping it from coming back.

14. Ari

Lots of great information here! Thanks for sharing folks! I will try the diaper rash/zinc oxide remedy. Interestingly, when my baby boy gets these rashes between fatty folds of his skin (at the wrist and neck), the zinc oxide worsens the problem, but moisturizer helps! I believe that perhaps different people have different problems that lead to the development of these types of rashes that are being discussed here. This is why things like bag balm and coconut oil work for some (as they help people with moisture retention problems retain more moisture) and powders and zinc oxides work for others.
    For my part, I believe that my tinea cruris developed after I started using baby powder — and as a direct result of that! I’m guessing its because the baby powder dried my skin too much, leaving it open to fungal infection? In any case, baby powder is clearly NOT my friend.
    @Marcus: Do not worry, the Selsun Blue will not cause you any harm. You do not have much or perhaps any exposed mucosal tissue, and even if you did, putting that shampoo on your head would have equal or more risk of getting in contact with mucosal tissue (eyes, nose, mouth) that the tiny hole at the tip of your penis. Any small amount that is absorbed through skin or mucosal tissue will not adversely affect your health, particularly if you’re only using this for a week or two as a short term remedy for jock itch.
    In fact, any harm that may come to you from using the Selsun Blue is more about your anxiety about having used it, than any ingredient it might contain. Millions of folks use this shampoo (and other shampoos containing the exact same ingredients) every day and no harm comes to them from the suds and shampoo rushing down into their butt cracks and genitals (including vaginas, which are much more open to exposure that your penis).