cabbage

Every once in awhile someone sends us a remedy that is so unusual that it stops us cold. Such was the case when Ken D. contacted us about his dietary solution to a very serious condition called hemochromatosis. In this genetic disorder, iron accumulates in the body and can cause serious damage to the liver, heart, pancreas and joints. People can develop cirrhosis, diabetes, heart enlargement and arthritis. The usual treatment for this condition is regular removal of blood. The reference to a barber’s pole below refers to the historical function of barbers as professionals who did surgery and bloodletting.

“Hemochromatosis runs in my family. We all find it incredibly amusing that the single best known treatment “modern” medicine has to offer is bloodletting.
“When headed to the lab for a phlebotomy session, I would always get a chuckle when the mental image of a barber’s pole popped into my head. I mentioned my condition to a chemist friend of mine, and he told me I should eat cabbage. Huh?
“His explanation was simple: it would help to chelate the iron in my tissues. The long and short of it is that my ferritin levels dropped so significantly once I took his advice that my primary care physician ordered a second test to confirm the results, thinking it must have been a lab error. By the time those numbers came back, they had dropped even more.
“I can’t say it will do the same for anyone else, but if you are willing to swap cole slaw for fries at lunch for a few months (which was all I did) they can find out for themselves.
“Wild, right?”
Ken D.

We checked the medical literature to see whether this connection between cabbage and iron levels in the blood had been documented. We could find no research. We welcome others to try this experiment and let us know how it works.
Joe & Terry
The People’s Pharmacy

1. ellie
    male

I want to know how I can lower my iron levels.

2. Roy M.
    Philadelphia

I was having bloodletting biweekly until I started eating cabbage weekly. Now, I get check ups every three months and my doctor told me that so far I don’t need a bloodletting. It’s been six months and I go in for another check up in another three months. In the mean time, I’m sticking to my cabbage diet.

• ellie
      maldives

hi, I wanna know how I can lower my ferritine levels. pls help. thanks

3. elizabeth
    greece

My ferritin level keeps increasing. No one seems to be worried. Are there other symptoms , I get the odd sudden warm painless feeling in the body usually arms legs around and inside eyes A most odd feeling.The cabbage is it best eaten raw. Just getting over a 3 month bout of shingles herpes zoster of the face,… any connection?

4. Karen S.

This is a terrific web page, providing a lot of information that can be “tested” for those searching for ways to manage their ferritin levels. I didn’t like all the side effects of the medicine that would be used to lower my levels, so finding this information, and the optional ways to help with this has boosted my confidence, as I am, and have always been one to approach what we do in a more “natural” way. Never do I say its for everyone, as we do need to be cautious when we seek out another path. Thanks so much for being here! Karen S. Franklin-Nashville, Tn.

5. Karen S.
    Franklin-Nashville Tn.

I have a condition that is called “Cold Agglutinins Hemolytic Anemia”……with this condition I have had a large degree of “hemolysis”, when you urinate blood. This is a rare autoimmune disease, which can be managed with “Rituxan” (mild chemo). My hemoglobin was so extremely low when first being diagnosed, the had to transfuse. I have been up and down in the 2 1/2 years having this. I have had a total of 38 blood transfusions in this time. I have had elevated ferritin levels, and I am going to try eating cabbage to see if there is any change. I have also read in a book written by a doctor Ip6 also helps in lowering the numbers. Will see where this brings my levels.

6. Dale
    LA

great news

7. JR
    Maine

This absolutely has worked for me. I am a 37 year old female who was just diagnosed with double C282Y Homozygote mutation Hemochromatosis. Before reading this article I spent 5 months of undergoing 9 phlebotomies (9 pints) and my ferritin level only dropped 130 points. After reading this article I added cabbage once to twice a day to my regular strict diet and within 1.5 months of eating cabbage daily and only 3 more phlebotomies (3 pints), my ferritin level went down a whopping 175 points!!! That basically knocked five months of phlebotomist off my de-ironing process. I will definitely continue eating cabbage and will try to keep you posted with my progress. Thank you very much for posting this article. Very pleased.

• TT
      Maine

Could you tell me the way in which the cabbage was consumed or prepared, and also if cole slaw, the recipe would be divine – thank you.

Also, I see you are in Maine, any recommendations for a specialist to treat Hemochromatosis?

• Mary W
      United States

Interesting but hard to apply when I’ve been warned about taking vitamin C. Not sure how many hours post eating and before eating it should be taken.

8. Tiza

Always take the vitamin C a few hours after you eat and then don’t eat for a couple of hours. We all need vitamin C. It’s dangerous not to have it, but never take it with meals because it will help you store iron. In between meals is okay.

• Mary Weidner-Ruediger

A couple of hours doesn’t seem to be long enough.