Hospital-acquired infections remain a major killer. Pneumonia and blood stream infections are responsible for nearly 50,000 deaths each year. These are called nosocomial infections because they are caught as a result of getting medical care. Many could have been prevented. In some cases they are related to ventilators, catheters or other equipment. Hand washing remains a big concern, but it is only the first step to controlling infections within the hospital. Patients should compare the rates of hospital-acquired infections before choosing a hospital.

1. HA

My husband had 5 surgeries in the past 5 years. He was in three different best known hospitals, but he still contracted staph infections three times. I tried to stay with him most of the day and I assume the staff washed their hands when they cared for him. however, he was not lucky.

2. vce

My mother died from the results of staph infection. I reported the hospital to the AMA and several other agencies.
    The state of California said there were no reports of that hospital having
    patients with an infection. However, there were two other patients in ICU when my mother was there that had staff infection. I thought hospitals were suppose to report infections. She had broken a hip and the infection was at the sight of the incision. The doctors ignored it and so did the hospital.

3. M Poole

It would be helpful to have a link to web site(s) where we can check on a hospital’s record. Also a listing of what they are required to report.

4. STEVE

I too would like to know how to get the infection statistics. From everything I have read or heard it is almost impossible.

5. Wes

Hospitals and doctors do seem to be taking this more seriously. I have had two instances in the past year and a half where the doctor or hospital requested I shower with an antibacterial soap before a procedure. For a catheter ablation in the hospital, I was asked to shower the night before and the next morning before leaving for the hospital. The second situation was for outpatient surgery for a cyst on my toe where they only requested a morning shower with the provided soap. Would love to know if this shower procedure have been shown to cut down on rates of infections.

6. Tom W.

How can patients compare the rates of hospital-acquired infections before choosing a hospital?