Green tea continues to make headlines because of a variety of anti-oxidant compounds. Research has shown that green tea may lower the risk of developing heart disease, osteoporosis and several kinds of cancer. Now investigators in Hong Kong suggest that green tea may also have a beneficial effect on vision. Rat research shows that the retina at the back of the eye absorbs green tea compounds quite effectively. These catechins may be able to help protect against age-related conditions such as glaucoma. Further research is needed to see whether green tea is actually helpful in humans at risk for eye disease.
[Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2010]

1. DB

Is there another way to get these compounds than from Green Tea? I would love to drink green tea but it gives me terrible migraines.

2. Eric B.

Can anything be done about eye floaters?

3. pw

I was told by one of my doctors not to drink green tea. I am on coumadin,
    sotalol 80, crestor 10, and norvasc. I also take baby aspirin, multi-vitamin, calcium and cinnamon for arthritis. What do you suggest?
    Pat
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: ASK THE DOCTOR WHO PRESCRIBED THE COUMADIN IF YOU CAN ADJUST THE DOSE TO ACCOMMODATE THE SAME NUMBER OF CUPS OF GREEN TEA EVERY DAY (1 OR 2). THE WORRY IS THAT IT MIGHT INTERFERE WITH THE ANTI-CLOTTING POWER OF COUMADIN.

4. abigail

How is green tea prepared to receive the most benefits from it? I have heard that loose green tea is more effective than green tea in tea bags. Because green tea is light in color I am not sure when it is strong enough to be beneficial.

5. C.A. Culleton

A family member was taking green tea fat buster to loose weight. She lost 19 pounds. And her liver. She had 2 transplants, and now has a severe infection. People should be warned about not following the instructions and keep taking the product. A little is o.k. more is not. Cathy

6. D.R.

I drink a lot of Lipton’s green tea. My next door neighbor is Asian Indian and she grows a plant that she makes green tea with – don’t know the name of the plant – looks like long spindly grass.
    Recently there was a story in the St. Pete Times about Moffitt Cancer Center doing experiments using green tea. My neighbor’s son is a doctor there and he told her they are using the same thing she has for the experiments. Just wondered if there is a big difference between that type of tea and the one I use. If so, is the other kind available commercially?