Q. Several years ago I had hemorrhoids so bad that I couldn’t even go to work. The only comfort I could find was sitting in a tub of warm water.
A friend who was into old folk remedies told me to get some BLACKSTRAP molasses. I was to swallow a couple of tablespoons every few hours.
Since I was desperate, I felt I had nothing to lose, even though it seemed like a silly remedy. To make a long story short, I went back to work the next day.
Regular molasses does not work for this problem, only blackstrap. Even blackstrap molasses will not work if the pain is caused by a fissure and not by hemorrhoids.
My elderly father took the test one step further: he took a couple of tablespoons of blackstrap molasses daily for several months. His varicose veins disappeared!

A. Blackstrap molasses is a byproduct of the sugar refining process. This thick dark liquid sweetener is rich in minerals such as manganese, copper, iron, calcium and potassium.
Although there are reports on the Web of blackstrap molasses helping hemorrhoids and varicose veins, we could find no scientific studies to support these claims. Two teaspoons of blackstrap molasses have 32 calories, just like sugar, so people with diabetes should avoid using it.

1. jbabka

Seeking info on “venous insufficiency”, i.e. valves in leg vein not closing properly resulting in swelling in lower leg & foot. Wearing compression stockings helps. Looking for options other than surgical route.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: HORSE CHESTNUT EXTRACT IS OFTEN USED IN EUROPE, AND THERE IS RESEARCH SUPPORTING IT.

2. Shirley Akinosho

I have had a constipation problem for many years. After learning that Blackstrap Molasses could be used for my problem, I decided to give it a try. It worked beautifully, and did not gripe my stomach. My question is, should I continue to take the blackstrap everyday for my constipation, or is there a limit?

3. GG

Does Black Strap Molasses cause constipation due to iron?

4. cpc

I read the article and immediately went out to find Black Strap. I found it it the organic section of a grocery store. I started using it that day, and a few hours later I felt relief. I found out that heating it in hot water or 20 seconds in the micro-wave helps make it easier to pour. I use one table spoon a day, and eat a lot of vegetables.

5. OH

I want to stop taking Crestor 10mg, Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg, and Potassium CL ER 20 MEQ, but my doctor won’t advise it because my parents died of heart related illnesses. I’ve retired from a stressful job, lost 20 lbs., started walking 30 minutes daily, and started eating walnuts. My recent blood work has my cholesterol at 151, HDL at 53, LDL at 83, and BP at 113/70. Which of your books will help me address this, and what do you think? I plan to loose about 15 more pounds. Thanks.

6. su

Some years ago, I recall a doctor on TV say that the best remedy for painful hemmorhoids was desitin and that the over the counter stuff does not work as well. This was after I had already been using desitin.
    If it was good enough for babies behinds and healed them, then it is good for us. Try sitting in warm water first. Amazing how much better one can feel within a few days.

7. cjm

If you have an irritation due to a fissure, make a paste (like muffin batter) of Aveeno Oatmeal Bath (or store brand) and apply to the area. It will dry and very quickly calm and heal the fissure or most any rash. I have used it for years for yeast infections and it works for that too.

8. Gina Pera

Blackstrap molasses is a healthful choice among sugars, specifically because it includes all those minerals that you list.
    I don’t doubt that you can’t find scientific studies, though. Who would pay to fund them?
    We do know, however, that magnesium is commonly deficient among people with chronic constipation (along with low fiber and liquid consumption, etc.).
    So, rather than taking molasses medicinally (instead of using it sparingly as a sugar substitute), it might make more sense to look into magnesium supplementation. (NOT Milk of Magnesia, however, as prolonged use of that can exacerbate magnesium deficiency.)
    Gina Pera, author
    Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?