Q. I have had dry mouth for years due to medication. Recently, with my diabetes diagnosis, it has gotten much worse. It is hard to talk and hard to swallow.
In the last week or so I have had very painful sores inside my mouth and on my tongue. My doctors were no help, but my mom referred me to the People’s Pharmacy yesterday and I read about sauerkraut juice. I purchased a 79-cent can of sauerkraut (after spending $30 on OTC canker sore meds) and took it home, not really thinking it would help. Within a minute the pain was gone! The relief lasted for hours. I don’t know how it works, but it does. This remedy is a lifesaver for me.

A. We heard about sauerkraut juice for canker sores more than a decade ago. A listener to our syndicated radio show shared his mother’s remedy. She worked as a dental assistant during the Great Depression and learned this remedy from the dentist, who recommended swishing the mouth with sauerkraut juice several times during the day. Swallowing about a tablespoon of juice each time may help.
We are not aware of a scientific explanation for why sauerkraut juice would help heal canker sores. We have heard from many readers who have found it helpful, however.

1. Linda D B

I went looking to see if there was any correlation to sauerkraut and pain relief in the gums. Ever since I had a root canal which should have eliminated this pain, I’ve had this mystery pain that comes and goes.
    Tonight we had dinner with sauerkraut on the side, I was shocked after a horrible weekend of pain and nothing helping that this was the miracle I’ve been searching for.
    Just nice to find confirmation. I’ve also had to take Prilosec for the past few months due to heartburn. We’ll see if this also helps. I’ve been cutting pain med’s down since being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia years ago, but was worried over this gum pain this weekend. Thank goodness for natural methods.

2. JT

I have pain from ulcers. Can you tell me if sauerkraut juice is good for ulcers? If it is how much do I drink and how often? Thank you. Also will i react with medicine?

3. Peggy

My tongue burned all the time too. I couldn’t stand to eat thousand island salad dressing. I went to the doctor & he just brushed it off. Then, when I got the results of my blood tests back, I found that I was anemic. After I started taking iron pills, my tongue stopped burning. Good luck to you!

4. Susan

This is an old time cure. As a child my mom would give me sauerkraut for canker sores, bites on cheeks, etc. (am 67 now) It works.

5. Christy

After reading about this, I bought a big jar of sauerkraut and have been eating a small spoonful every day. So far, so good, not one canker sore (knock on wood). This is the longest I’ve been without getting one in a long long time. I often get them when I ‘bite’ the inside of my cheek, but even after doing that, I didn’t get a canker sore.

6. A L D

Do you think sauerkraut juice would help my tongue that burns all the time?

7. fbl

It also helps people with ulcers. I have a friend who has used it successfully after my telling her about it.

8. BM

I was troubled with canker sores for several years and thought it was possibly caused by spices in the foods I ate, such as Mexican food, or stress…I found that Listerine used daily eliminated them and I have had no problems since…

9. Kristy N

Where can I purchase sauerkraut juice? What stores? or do I need to order them online?