Q. I’ve had bad underarm odor for more than 50 years, and it is a terrible social problem. Then I read your column about rubbing milk of magnesia on the armpits. I tried it and IT’S A MIRACLE.
I no longer use any other deodorant and, most important, I no longer have body odor. Thank you for a simple solution for this complex problem. I have been B.O. free for eight weeks.

A. Milk of magnesia seems to work quite well as a deodorant for most people. Because it contains magnesium instead of aluminum, people who have trouble with antiperspirants usually tolerate it well.

1. mgk

I am living in the Philippines. Where can I buy milk of magnesia here? in the pharmacy?

2. abw

I’ve been using witch hazel as a satisfactory underarm deodorant for several years.
    Like others, I had had problems with rashes & such with commercial deodorant products. One summer I decided to just stink on weekends while I tried to clear up the rash with witch hazel – and ended up extending it into the workweek with no adverse outcome.
    Just a splash in each hand rubbed around the armpit after showering.
    Occasionally if it seems to be losing effectiveness, a rinse with hydrogen peroxide or mouthwash during the shower fixes things up – presumably clearing up undesirable bacteria.

3. body odor prevention

How do you apply it — e.g., with a cotton ball?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: MANY PEOPLE DO EXACTLY THAT.

4. Cindy B.

I do landscape mainenance for a living. I also perspire a lot. I switched to MoM about 3 months ago. It lasts from shower to shower. I get the cheap store brand. Works just as well as the name brand.

5. LSH

I break out when I use regular deodorant. I use MoM as deodorant and also in the creases where my skin touches. The redness disappears after applying the MoM. This is especially helpful in the warm months. I thank Peoples Pharmacy for the wonderful tip.

6. AJR

I just tried this and it works GREAT! I couldn’t believe it. I teach step & hi/lo aerobics for a living and I get very sweaty and stinky. The MoM worked through 3 straight hours of weights and aerobics and I am smelling fresher than when I use deodorant. Thank you for making me aware of this it will be a huge help.