Q. Have you ever heard of ibuprofen helping men with prostate problems? I am a runner and frequently use ibuprofen after a long run. I discovered that on the days that I took ibuprofen I didn’t have to get up at night to go the bathroom.
When I have beer with the boys in the evening I take ibuprofen afterwards and don’t have get up to pee. Normally, I would be up and down a couple of times.

A. At first we were skeptical that ibuprofen could have any benefit for benign prostate enlargement. Then we did a little digging. You may be on to something.
A double-blind study published in Urology (Oct., 2008) included 80 men whose prostate problems interfered with nightly sleep. Half got Celebrex before bedtime while the other half received a placebo. After a month, the men on Celebrex had fewer symptoms and half as many nightly trips to the bathroom.
Celebrex and ibuprofen are both nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They should not be taken after drinking beer or other alcohol since stomach irritation is more likely. We would also advise men to check with their doctors as NSAIDs can raise blood pressure, cause stomach ulcers and interact with prescription drugs.

1. tony
    wales uk

I may have inadvertently mislead you, I am on medication from the doctor to reduce prostate, but still have difficulty passing, and have to go frequently but these are eliminated with the rub, apologies.

Tony

2. tony
    wales/u/k

Had what appears to be tendonitis in the groin and was prescribed a rub that contained Ibuprofen, the result was 90% of my complaints regarding the prostate have disappeared, I assume they will reappear when I no longer need the rub but would this be a better way of “taking” the medication other than internally?

3. Gman

I have discovered the same thing. I had a shoulder injury from climbing and took some ibuprofen as an anti inflammatory (600mg) and I found that I didn’t have to get up at night. Tried it on another day and the results were the same (didn’t have to get up). Looks like I’m up for using this as a treatment for now.
    Not sure if it reduces the prostate size or whether it decreases the muscle size that pushes on the prostate. Would love to find a good scientific explanation.

4. Dave

I suffer from arthritis, but I don’t usually take an nsaid because of a sensitive stomach. I also have bph, I have to pee about every hour during the night. But last night after dinner (right after), I took 2 ibupropen anyway, hoping to avoid the upset stomach. I slept for 6 straight hours without peeing. That prompted me to search online to see if ibupropen helps bph and I found this forum. In my opinion, the ibupropen did curb my peeing and I got a good night sleep.

5. Harry H.

I have had treatment for an over active bladder syndrome (OAB) by two different Urologists and received several different prescription medications with no relief, however I had many side effects taking these medications. I told my Urologists that I have noticed also (like the runner) that if I take 2 Advil at bedtime that I get through the night without going to the bathroom.
    The response I got was that they never heard of it and if it helps me take the Advil and that there is no problem in taking 2 Advil a day.
    However, I do have one question “are there any long term side effects of taking 2 Advil a day”? Thank you for any response.

6. LRG,11

After I read this article, took one the first night. Usually go 4-5 times per night. Went just ONCE! Took it two more nights, same results. Stopped taking some two weeks ago, still working, go just once a night. Whenever I go twice, shall start taking one per……
    Now I have a question. Since I was advised to take an 81 mg asprin nightly, will the ibuprofen sub for the aspirin? Will it conflict? Will they cancel each other out?
    Have shared this info with other friends and say they are happy.

7. Tom W.

I have found that turmeric does the same thing ……..

8. RKM

If one is concerned about prostate disease, they should have their blood level of vitamin D checked, as the British Physician Study revealed that men who had taken supplemental vitamin D for an extended period had a 60% lower incidence of prostate cancer.
    I don’t know that it has an effect on BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy), but getting up a few times a night is preferable to the many serious adverse side effects from chronic use of NSAIDs such as serious GI bleeding, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, and many others. It has been shown that more people die every year in the US from adverse effects of NSAIDs than died in the World Trade Disaster.
    This is particularly true in the elder population who suffer from BPH. Most of the inserts provided with these drugs do not recommend taking them for more than 2 weeks continuously.

9. Engineer

I was interested in the report from the gentleman who found some relief from his BPH (prostate) symptoms when he took ibuprofen at night. I thought I had noticed the same effect when I took aspirin at night but did not want to take too much aspirin for the reasons that the Graedons mentioned.
    I have been taking aspartame for a number of years to help with my arthritis symptoms since it works as an anti-inflammatory (at least for me). I don’t use it at night since it disturbs my sleep. For those who don’t have reasons not to take it at night, it would be interesting to see if aspartame helps their BPH symptoms. Of course, if they drink a 12 oz diet coke to get the aspartame, it might be counter productive.

10. John M.

What can be done for Anemia?