Q. I’ve read about drinking tonic water to prevent waking with leg cramps. Try coconut water instead! It is the best stuff for leg cramps.
It is somewhat hard to find, but I buy Zico brand at my local Fresh Market. Drinking 11 ounces gives me as much potassium as eating four bananas, and it is all natural.

A. When we looked this new product up online, we discovered that, in addition to health food stores, several major chains carry it as well. We appreciate your testimonial. We remind other readers, though, that too much coconut water might be constipating.

1. JAKS

Yellow mustard for leg cramps! I’ve been using the mustard cure for over three years now and I am a believer. I suffered horrendous leg cramps, anywhere from the toes up to the thighs, usually at night, the kind that will make you cry. I read about the “yellow mustard” cure and I now keep individual packets next to my bed, in my purse, in the car and in my briefcase. Just one or two packets will do the trick if I can do it soon enough. Cramps usually ease in just a minute or two, and, it almost always keep the cramps from starting in the other leg.

2. R Sadler

As discussed on a recent show plain yellow mustard has worked quickly and effectively for my leg cramps.

3. PP

Coconut is the active ingredient in most anti-diarrheal potions, and as we’ve said about the Archway macaroons, they do have a constipating effect. The other concern is also cholesterol!

4. Phil A.

Quinine, or tonic water, has also been linked to TTP, a very dangerous and potentially lethal illness. I am an apheresis nurse and have treated at least one woman whose TTP was most probably linked to quinine she took for her leg cramps.

5. DAK

A word of caution, if coconut water is that high in potassium it could be a problem for a lot of people on certain types of diuretics or those who have kidney problems and I am not sure what the sugar/calorie count is for this, I would think fairly high which could be a problem for diabetics. I have restless legs but not cramps…has anyone used it for this?

6. Gaston

I keep a bar of soap under cover in my bed and this does the trick, I have had very few leg cramps since. But if one comes up, out comes the mustard. I take one teaspoon full of ordinary yellow mustard and a few minutes later the cramp is gone. I need to thank People’s Pharmacy for these 2 solutions.

7. Judy Z

Yesterday I arose from a chair with a severe upper leg cramp. Ten minutes of walking, stomping and massage did no good. I remembered the soap remedy and unwrapped a fresh bar and massaged my leg with it. In less than 5 seconds, the cramp was gone. Thanks for sharing a silly but effective remedy!

8. Marv S.

Regarding leg cramps, one caution about Tonic Water you should confirm with your doctor. I believe it is also referred to as “Quinine Water”. I was prescribed Quinine to deal with leg cramps. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of taking Quinine is the possibility of developing tinnitus. While I cannot say conclusively that Quinine was the direct cause of my developing tinnitus, it came along after I took the Quinine.