Q. Shortly after moving to Charleston, SC, in 1988 I developed very uncomfortable itching over much of my body, including my armpits, groin and chest. A physician diagnosed it as “Charleston Crud” and recommended Zeasorb-AF, an antifungal body powder.
The antifungal ingredient is miconazole. I used it while working in boiler plants and equipment rooms.
It’s wonderful. I apply it to my underarms and other trouble spots. Jock itch can be carried in clothing and cause re-infection, so I iron my underclothes with a hot iron.

A. Thanks for sharing your experience. Miconazole is an effective antifungal drug that was once available only by prescription. It is now sold over the counter to treat athlete’s foot, jock itch and other fungal infections.

1. jac

Thanks. I read you from the L.A. Paper often and decide to visit your site for some help on a problem that seems not to go away. Will try the suggestions and let you know.

2. Robert O.

One of the best ways to get rid of jock itch when it comes is to apply some anti-perspirants such as Mitchum gel a couple of times. Because jocks thrive on wet surfaces the deodorant will keep the area dried; therefore the fungus will die. Try it, it works.

3. bdb

I have found that giving my clothing an extra rinse cycle helps a little. I also use a cap full of lysol in each wash.

4. Anonymous

Another way to kill fungus in cotton underwear is to microwave it after it comes out of the washing machine. This gets it steaming hot (although it’s probably hard on the elastic in the underpants!). Then dry on a clothesline if you can. The sunlight will bleach them white and the wind softens the fabrics without all the darn chemicals that you pay for in the disposable dryer sheets.

5. fbl

A more natural result can be obtained by rinsing the area with a mild solution of GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and then rubbing in a little bit of coconut oil. Both are anti-fungal and are safe to use. A friend who lives in the south called and I suggested this. It worked beautifully!

6. jean g.

Just last week my gynecologist recommended that powder for a rash under my breasts. I haven’t gotten it as yet, as previous powders just cake up. But now I will try it, and see what happens.

7. RM

Is this medication over the counter?

8. R L C

I tried over the counter stuff for athlete’s foot and jock itch. Sure it
    works, but it takes a number of days to see results and it always came back.
    Finally, I went to a doctor and got a prescription for Clotrimazole and
    Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, 1%/0.05%. Trust me, that’s the way
    to go. Used it twice and gone.