Q. I am taking strong pain medicine after knee surgery. The result is unbearable constipation. Please send me recipes for the dynamite pumpkin bran muffins and “Power Pudding.” I need relief!
A. Narcotic pain medications like hydrocodone, oxycodone, OxyContin, Percocet, Tylenol with Codeine and Vicodin and are notorious for causing constipation. Even anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve) can make constipation worse.
We are sending you our Guide to Constipation with the recipes you request and ten tips to conquer constipation. We heard from a nurse regarding the prune juice, applesauce and coarse wheat bran recipe: “This is what we call power pudding. We use this in the nursing home all the time. It does the trick!”

1. Cathie

My liver enzymes go crazy when I take pain meds, OTC and prescribed. While taking Voltaren for arthritis they really went wild. When I stopped taking the meds, enzymes were somewhat normal. Are you aware of any prescribed meds for arthritis that are not filtered through the liver?

2. PG

How much power pudding do you eat at one time? Thanks.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: JUST 1 TABLESPOON AT A TIME, WASHED DOWN WITH PLENTY OF WATER

3. Dolores

I just had hip replacement surgery. But I was immediately given stool softeners to also help with the constipation from pain medications. Also, I eat Activia Yogurt. If you don’t take a stool softener when you do go it will be so hard it won’t pass and the pain from that and straining will cause bleeding and hemorrhoids.

4. Dru

A low dose of naltrexone or naloxone will reverse the constipation-inducing effects of opioid pain killers. Laxatives, fiber, etc. do not address the underlying opioid receptor-mediated cause of constipation and are usually ineffective. Your doctor should prescribe it for you.

5. Gerry Anne M.

With my recent total hip replacement, I had a bowel obstruction which was “guessed” to be a reaction to morphine. Therefore, I refused to include the designated morphine at the time of my departure 6 days later from the hospital. I managed nicely just with Tylenol. I assumed, therefore, that I was allergic to morphine, but my surgeon described my reaction as merely being “sensitive” to morphine. Also, my interest in eating was totally non-existent for about 3+ weeks.

6. RC1956

I used prunes and stewed rhubarb when pregnant instead of Surfak. My doctor looked at me kind of funny but it worked. My dad responded well to prunes. One of our elderly clients hadn’t been to the bathroom in 3 weeks. We bought the stewed prunes from Shoneys Restaurant and with a day she was able to go.
    My mom used Miralax with good resuts.
    I used Malt Supex, 1/8 of a tsp. mixed in the baby’s bottles. It worked better than dark Karo syrup.
    The power pudding sounds good. We will try that.
    Thanks