Q. Your article on beet juice for hypertension was fascinating. I have had incredible results with freeze-dried beet juice from the health-food store. I have reduced the need for my blood pressure medicine, lisinopril, by 50 percent.
One caution: this is potent stuff. I spent some time adjusting my dose with many daily blood pressure checks. For me, just one-eighth teaspoon of the powder in a small amount of water works within two hours. If I take too much, my blood pressure goes too low.

A. British investigators captured headlines when they announced that drinking two cups of beet juice daily lowered blood pressure by about 10 points (Hypertension, March 2008). Since then, scientists have done studies in animals that indicate beets may also help undo some of the damage from high cholesterol (American Journal of Physiology–Heart & Circulatory Physiology, May, 2009).
Anyone who tries beet juice should be as cautious as you were in monitoring blood pressure. We don’t think this is a substitute for medication, and you should discuss this approach with your physician to see if your medication needs adjusting.

1. Karen

I have read other studies that encourage people who have diabetes to exercise care in drinking beet juice. Be sure to check with your doctor first if you have diabetes. Beets have a very high sugar content and are high on the glycemic index.

2. d mang

Can beet root be used with other natural bp lowering meds, also is the pill as effective as the liquid?

3. SP

I started taking freeze dried beet juice powder yesterday morning after reading the information here. I have not been able to take calcium channel blockers, beta blockers or diuretics without miserable side effects so told my doctor I would try to bring my bp down naturally. I bought a bottle containing 90 gm for around $9 at a local health food store. The directions said a “serving” is 1 tsp, but I remembered one writer saying she took much less. So I have been taking 1/4 tsp. By yesterday afternoon my bp was 120/70 as measured in my doctors office. Today it was 127/72 on my bp cuff which reads 10 points high on the systolic and a bit less on the diastolic.
    The reason beta blockers didn’t work for me is that they gave me fierce hot flashes. So when I read the label and saw the stuff here about nitrous oxide, I wondered if beet juice would do the same. It seems to have increased the hot flashes some, but time will tell. If it’s a problem, I will try reducing the dose. But I’m interested in what others have to say and if anyone else has noticed the increase in hot flashes.

4. Elise Villemaire

I’ve done a small bit of online research, and Pubmed at the U.S. National Institutes for Health has several studies that you can read. Be sure to search both beet juice (U.S.) and beetroot juice (U.K.). One of them goes into depth on the issue of the juice contacting the tongue. There is some enzyme there that changes a beet chemical into the useful and blood pressure lowering one.
    I’m still looking for doses that are working for other people.

5. ram

I just ordered beet juice at healthfood store. How much and how often? I would like to read original article but cannot find it. Thanks

6. Bernardo E

I have the same question. I would like to know which brand of beet juice or beet powder most people buy. From what health food store or internet site can I get it from?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: BIOTTA BRAND IS AVAILABLE AT WHOLE FOODS AND PROBABLY AT OTHER NATURAL FOOD MARKETS.

7. steve w

I would think juicing a fresh beet would work also if you can find in grocery store. Green tea drops my blood pressure down 10 to 15 points after two glasses, loose leaf steaped for 5 minutes any kind. I have heart disease and take lisinopril and toperol but green tea works every time.

8. Fred W

I found this very interesting concerning beets powder. The best source to get this is at a company by the name of AIM International from Nampa, Id.
    Anyone can find this on the internet even on Amazon.

9. BJ Deloney

I read that vinegar and water would cure toenail fungus.
    How long at a time do you have to soak the toe?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: AT LEAST 20 MINUTES A DAY. IT MAY TAKE MANY WEEKS.

10. Berto

Peggy J: What brand beet powder did you get?

11. Peggy J.

A few questions about the beet juice. I was able to buy the powder form at our health food store. I used it at five pm and at 7:30 pm it took pressure down 10 points. I was thrilled. This am at 9am it was up again.
    Do I have to use more, and how often? I cannot seem to be able to take anything else without getting sick and miserable and this sounds like a wonderful health way to control my blood pressure. I didn’t expect it perfect the next day but not to go up. Please respondm what I am doing wrong, like do I use more at a time and how often? Thank you for helping so many people go the natural way.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE BEET POWDER, POSSIBLY TAKING IT AT LEAST TWICE A DAY, TO FIND THE DOSE AND TIMING THAT WORK FOR YOU.

12. Peg J.

I want to share the wonderful results I have had with using Tylenol’s
    Extra Strenth 500 once a day and said goodbye to leg cramps. I sleep so well now and am ever so thankful for this information after trying so many other ways that did not work. Even the doctors say it’s fine to use that much.

13. GF

The best place to buy freeze dried beet juice is on-line. Simply type in “freeze dried beet juice” and a lot of different sites will come up where you can purchase this product.

14. SE

I have called all of our health food stores and they do not sell the frozen beet juice – where can you buy it? Is the regular beet juice sold in health food stores just as effective?

15. Barb S.

Can you publish the name brand(s) of the Beet Root powder. I’ve checked with all my local health food stores, and no one has even heard of it. Beet root juice is not available either, but I would prefer the powder. I have seen beet root in capsule form…is this the same thing? Thanks for any help.