Arthritis comes in many forms, but all of them make joints stiff and sore and can result in significant disability. It is among the most common chronic conditions in the U. S. Learn about the differences between osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of the disease. Are there ways to reduce the risk of developing arthritis? We’ll talk with one of the country’s leading experts about prevention and treatment.
Guest: Joanne Jordan, MD, MPH, Herman and Louise Smith Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Director of the Thurston Arthritis Research Center. She is also Chief of the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology and Adjunct Associate Professor of Epidemiology at the School of Medicine of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

1. anne dvk

I love your show, and I have been a listener for years. Thank you to both of you.

2. JMF

After being on Azathioprine for about a month, I have developed painful wrists, stiff fingers, have difficulty standing from a sitting position. Never had these pains before, could Azathioprine be the cause? Will try Certo & juice for the pain.

3. DStone

The show with Dr. Jordan was excellent. Thank you!

4. anne k

For more than a year now I suffer from left hip pain, legs cramping when I lie down, chronic back pain and buttocks pain. I had CT scan on both hips, that showed mild degenerative disease and bursitis. I had cortisone shot in my left hip and took Mobic for 2 wks, that helped but a few months later it was all back.
    I asked my Dr. to have a MRI specifically on the lower spine to r/o pinched nerve, bulging disc or tumor. My Dr. thinks it is bursitis, and the orthopedist Dx sciatica. I am a health care worker, my job is demanding physically but I want to continue working, gardening or hiking and keep active without being penalized with an extreme low back pain and hips.
    I took celebrex now for 2 wks, but the side effects are pretty bad. I am a young 60 y old french woman and I missed a big part of your show last Sunday. I am waiting for the results of my MRI not expecting much from it. I feel stucked in the behind like my old dog.
    I know that I cannot take a NSAID for ever. Motrin does not work for me. I love swimming, but it is hurting too. I continue to stay active, ignoring my pain, but it is tiring and make me feel depressed, fatigued and older than I really am. Your comments are welcome! Merci beaucoup. I love your show!

5. JL

Any listeners have experience with oral enzymes for osteoarthritis? Wobenzyme is a German enzyme preparation that seems to work and does not have the adverse GI side effects of the NSAIDs. It’s available at health food stores and online.

6. LFretzin

I caught the tail end of the People’s Pharmacy show this morning with Joanne Jordan on arthritis and had to share my experience with severe arthritis in my right knee. It had gotten so bad one day, that I had to use my father’s cane to get to work.
    While there, by some rare coincidence, a yellow-jacket stung me on the same knee. Within 5 minutes, all my arthritic pain was gone. I could actually hop on my affected knee. The sting hurt terribly on and off for a few weeks, but I had no arthritic pain for the next 12 years.
    After doing some research, I found out that the venom of the yellow-jacket contains cortisol similar to cortisone. I investigated bee-venom therapy (called apitherapy). I tried it but it never worked for other areas of my body. I thought that the bee venom might not be as potent.