Older people who need more siesta time are at greater risk of developing dementia, according to a Spanish study of more than 3,000 senior citizens. The volunteers were healthy at the beginning of the three-year study. Those who slept nine hours or more a day were twice as likely to be diagnosed with cognitive deficits than those who averaged seven hours.
[European Journal of Neurology, Sept., 2009]

1. JB

Maybe those who slept 9 hrs a night were like me…2-3 hrs a day, most days,working out at the gym. Otherwise housework and laundry most days make me tired enough to sleep 9 hrs a night. I have always needed at least 8hrs sleep, even when I was young.

2. L. W.

The first thing I think of is sleep apnea. Were these test subjects tested for that? Apnea prevents deep, restorative sleep. Even though you believe you are sleeping soundly your body does not get what it needs and begs for more rest. Some of the effects of apnea, especially severe apnea, are depression, fatigue, lack of mental clarity, memory problems, problems with concentrations, accident proneness, etc.

3. Barbara M

I’ve always needed 9 hours of sleep each night to function at my best. I just turned 78. I stopped taking naps some 10 years ago because they were stealing too much time from my day. Bathroom needs at night interfere with REM sleep. Everyone I know who is seventy or older has some forgetfulness, but I don’t see them as impaired. My mother was sharp at 92 when she died, but still forgot names of things like flowers.

4. Lawrence L.

Does the study include consideration of sleep as an effect of dementia?

5. https://me.yahoo.com/a/ECgLPJs5v_121bsj5geL7hDStFpAnT8NVNX7_5vTrmDM#0d342

Then there is the other study that I researched testifying to the NEED for 8 or 9 hours of sleep for people to be healthy…body repair requires more than we originally thought… maybe the people in this study had other preexisting conditions…Dementia can also be genetic.

6. Bonnie

I feel much more alert after about 9 hours than I do 8. However, I usually go to the bathroom at least twice a night and I thought that was the reason I didn’t feel totally rested after 7 or 8. This new information is a bit un-nerving. Thanks for all your info.

7. Carol P.

Is this a cause or effect? Does the extra 2 hours sleep add to the development of dementia or is it the result of the dementia?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THAT IS NOT CLEAR FROM THE RESEARCH.

8. AS

Maybe the longer sleeping pattern is an early symptom that they are developing dementia, not a cause. Did they look into this possibility?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THEY SPECIFICALLY SUGGESTED THAT MIGHT BE THE CASE, BUT THE STUDY WAS NOT DESIGNED TO DETERMINE CAUSE AND EFFECT.