Q. I’m an active 69-year-old man. I ride my bicycle, work out 5 days a week and do my own landscape work. I no longer play softball since my knee operations.
I have arthritis, and the left knee is close to bone on bone. I started taking liquid pectin this spring and I no longer have swelling in my knee or pain at night. My knee is almost totally pain free on a daily basis.
It’s got to be the pectin, as I’ve done nothing else different in my dietary or physical routines. I can’t believe how good my knees feel!

A. Pectin comes from the cell walls of plants and is especially abundant in apples, blackberries, plums and oranges. It is used to help thicken jams and jellies. This soluble fiber has also been shown to lower cholesterol levels (Current Atherosclerosis Reports, Dec. 2008).
Liquid pectin such as Certo may be added to grape or pomegranate juice to ease joint pain. We include instructions for this and many other home remedies in our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis.

1. LIR

I am getting ready to try it… gonna start with one tsp in 6 oz juice. If I feel it isn’t enough, will increase the certo to 2 tsp. Will let you know how it works.

2. BJN

Can you substitute red wine for the grape juice in the recipe for grape juice and Certo as an arthritis remedy?
    People’s Pharmacy response: We suspect the Certo would ruin the flavor of the wine. Why would you want to do that?
    The actual answer is that we don’t know. We’ve had no reports on such a combination.

3. V

Hello to all, I would like to point out that there is a high-grade pectin from Denmark which is available on eBay and is quite inexpensive.
    I don’t know if links are allowed on this message board but you can find it if you search Google product search for CP Kelco Pectin, or search on eBay but be sure to check the box that says include item description. I just ordered a pound and a half of pectin for $14.99! It is available in quantities up to 10 pounds at $40. And it is pure with no additives. Hope this helps

4. j.n.d.

concord grape juice & Certo liquid pectin worked a miracle for me. Started taking combo well over a year ago after reading about it in a magazine comparing treatments for arthritis. Have a 4oz juice glass each morning. Two months ago, I started taking 2 packets of pectin in 2 quarts concord grape juice due to MRI report of torn meniscus in rt. knee due to fall and pain has been subsiding. My orthopedic doc said if there is no pain…NO Surgery!! YEA!! Am 77 year old walking dog to park and mowing my lawn. Folks, THIS WORKS!! It is cheap PLUS “NO” side effects!!!!!

5. abinico

Tried this several years ago – used the Certo liquid pectin. This is a cure for arthritis as far as I’m concerned. I was pain free within a day and stuff has really helped restore my joints. Note! I was already taking collagen based joint supplements but the Certo really did something to make those joint supplements really work. I also give this to my old dog – also helped his mobility greatly – wonderful stuff!

6. katielee

I began looking for help with chronic joint and knee pain from inflammation forever it seems. It’s so bad, even my hair is shedding at the root. I just started taking gelatin when I accidentally came across pectin in the store and decided to look up before I bought it as to what it could do if anything, so I stumbled on this page. I’ve read all these great reports, so I’m absolutely going to try this. I found prickly pear cactus, and Omega 3 are anti-inflammatories, but imbalanced hormones can cause join pain in both men and women go hand in hand with Adrenal Fatigue.
    I’m going to be 62 this year, and I’ve been suffering for years. I pray I have the same results you had. It is a know fact that most chronic illnesses begin with inflammatory disease.

7. SATNAM M.

I agree with home remedies. Medical science does research on only after you have problem, how to get rid of it. No research is done for the root cause of it. Home and herbal remedies work to eliminate the root cause. For arthritis exercise is must. It is a matter of use it or loose it. Thank you.

8. Michaelc

I purchase powdered pectin marketed by Ball I use the “Real Fruit Pectin” “Low Or No Sugar Needed” It has less citric acid added than other varieties. The citric acid in the others made it taste sour to me.
    Anecdotal I know, but my experience has been: It helps my arthritic pain,– reduced my LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) and did not reduce my HDL (the good stuff),– and has helped keep me regular by adding bulk to my stool. I am attempting to lose weight by substituting soy protein shakes at lunch, which can put you in a real bind… silly pun intended.
    Pectin is a water soluble fiber and binds to cholesterol produced by the liver and carries it out of your body instead of allowing it to get to your bloodstream.

9. Anne

I have had chronic back and neck pain for many years and I was taking several aspirin daily. I have noticed that the pain got worse in winter months, and I figured it was from a colder house and less outdoor activity. At Christmas this year, my pain was so bad that I could not stand for more that 5 minutes at a time.
    My sister said she had been taking apple pectin capsules daily and her knee pain was significantly decreased. I am fairly skeptical about it but my husband said that he wanted to try it for his arthritis in his shoulder and hands. We are both diabetic, so we could not take any grape juice, but we bought Apple Pectin capsules at our local vitamin supplement store. The dosage on the bottle is 700 mg.
    I started out taking 1 capsule in the morning, with no expectation of relief because, even prescription meds did little to help. After about 4 days, I realized that I was standing longer with less pain. I asked my husband if he noticed anything. He said he had not thought about it but, yes the pain was much less. I read the bottle and it said to take 1-2 capsules up to 3 times per day. (It should be noted here that the bottle says it is for intestinal regularity and does not mention joint pain relief).
    I increased the capsules to 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Last Saturday I was able to go to 2 stores, (concrete floors) and shop for nearly 3 hours with little pain. I have done nothing else different other than take the apple pectin. By the way, I told a girlfriend who is suffering with back pain about it and she went to the vitamin supplement store and they said that I was having a placebo effect and that pectin does nothing for joint pain. If it is a placebo, fine, I will continue to take it and be drastically less in pain!

10. bg

I’ve been taking pectin with grape juice, and it has definitely reduced the symptoms, but I am concerned about the level of sugar in two 8-oz glasses of grape juice a day. Is there any reason other than taste that the liquid pectin has to be taken in grape juice? For example, could it be taken in water, cold coffee, or thinned-down red box wine?
    Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: GRAPE JUICE HAS SOME ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY OF ITS OWN, BUT OTHERS HAVE REPORTED SUCCESS WITH CHERRY, POMEGRANATE OR OTHER JUICE MIXED WITH THE PECTIN. WE DOUBT COLD COFFEE WOULD BE HELPFUL, BUT IF YOU TRY IT AND DISCOVER WE ARE WRONG, PLEASE LET US KNOW.

11. Susan1234

Frances,
    Some time ago you commented that you have flare-ups of knee and joint pain. Have you been checked for calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition disease (aka psuedo gout)? Both of my knees flared up a couple of years ago, and after a lot of testing they figured out it was psuedo gout. I’ve had a couple of flare ups since. I also have some osteoarthritis that’s causing some problems, so I plan to try the liquid pectin, too.

12. Cynthia

I was using Welches’ purple grape juice and liquid pectin for arthritis pain in my hands. I used to feel the pain increase if I missed a couple of days of this.
    Recently I stopped drinking coffee or tea, except maybe once a week, just because it was not tasting good any more. It coincided with a time in which I was irregular with the grape juice. To my surprise after 2 or 3 weeks I noticed that my hand pain was reduced just as it had been by the grape juice/pectin. Research informed me that caffeine seems to inhibit some natural substance that normally works against inflammation.
    However it works, it worked for me, and it is not a placebo effect because I had no expectations of feeling at all different from no caffeine, never gave it a thought. The pain reduction (as in the case of the grape juice) is pain when the finger joints are at rest or in mild use.
    The swollen joints are still that way and still tender to pressure. But not having aching or shooting pains in the joints is a big improvement. Perhaps someone else will find this worth a try. Be sure to taper off of caffeine to avoid the terrible headache, if you drink more than a cup or two a day. I had been down to a cup or so a day for several months when I quit, and the pain reduction came when I quit entirely.

13. Cynthia

Dorothy, look for powdered pectin in the canning section of the supermarket. They usually sell both the liquid and powdered forms there.