Q. Recently, someone complained to you of excessive sweating. That person might have an endocrine problem. I used to sweat so much that I would ruin my clothes. This stopped once I had my hyperactive thyroid removed.
A. Excessive sweating can be a symptom of too much thyroid hormone. We hope that girl’s doctor has checked her thyroid function.

1. ck

I have had sweats for many years, then I had a full hysterectomy and my sweats have tripled. It is Awful. I even wear hormone patches but I still sweat so much!

2. Michelle M.

Im so glad I found this thread. I have been literally soaking my clothes from the sweats and its gotten to a point of controlling my life. It happens more often than not even with no activity. This has been going on since 10 yrs and its awful. I cant even go into a store to grab something quick without either taking a bath towel in with me or buying one while Im in there. Its primarily my face, neck, chest and back of neck but there is so much sweat its hard to tell exactly where its coming from, its like a running faucet. My regular MD just mentioned that it might be hyper or hypothyroid. I just gained a lot of weight and Ive been dieting and losing but I should have lost more than I have. I hope I get some answers soon. They have checked my hormonal levels so Im taking hormones and that hasn’t done anything and Im going to see an ob-gyn this next week. Can anyone tell me how long they went through this and if they got any relief from this and if so, by doing what? Thanks everyone, you give me hope..

3. Tami

This is an old thread but I just read it and am writing for someone new who comes along. Low blood sugar is another common reason for excessive sweating and I have hypothyroidism. I discovered it by accident, talking too the cashier at the grocery store because she has low blood sugar. She told me to buy glucose tablets to see if that would help? It takes a twenty minutes but it does stop the sweating.
    I would be drenched with sweat too, now I make sure my sugar is managed, eat well, have little meals and carry the tablets.

4. Md

I have been recently perspiring profusely. I use to from my underarms so bad when I was younger that it would actually roll down my arms. Now I am doing the same thing only worse. It starts around my hairline, my neck, under my breasts and also my underarms. I had hypothyroidism. Was on PTU. Was taken off of them for they say my thyroid blood work is normal. Then why do I perspire?
    I can be sitting and doing nothing. Also they have me on metroporolol for my heart. So what is the problem with me perspiring?

5. Susan L.

I live in Fort Worth, TX and sweat profusely when it is 75 degrees or higher with humidity above 40% and doing light outside work. I also have trouble breathing because of the air quality in our city now (gas wells). We are almost always at orange air quality alert levels or above, now. In June I traveled for 9 days through Colorado and Wyoming with temperatures in the upper 80’s and 90’s and did not have a lick of problem with profuse sweating. It might be the humidity levels in Fort Worth are preventing me from effectively sweating to cool down my body. If you have this problem, you might try these areas to see how your body reacts.

6. Drippy

This sweating is awful, I do not have thyroid problem, yet sweat just runs from my scalp and face. Can’t wear make-up or keep a hair style. So tell me more about the tea bags. Do I drink it or pour it on my head? How many tea bags? I’m going to try eight in a quart of water. I will drink one and pour one. Will let you know what that does.

7. ldevere

I’d forgotten about this chat I’d started exactly 2 years ago.
    Update: There is no update. It’s late summer in LA, the temperature is triple-digits, and I’m showing up for job interviews red-faced w/flop sweat. I’ve been treated for hypothyroid for close to 20 years so the culprit isn’t hyperthyroid. I find it too easy to overwork/-heat. But this is summer and kinda expected. But I can generate the same response any time of the year. Seems it effects enough people that someone should do a study about it. Any news on any movement/treatment/cause on this problem?

8. ach

I do sweat a lot on my face, neck all the time. It is not only in summer but winter also. I do not have any thyroid problem. Is there anyway to stop the sweat?

9. Christine

I sweat excessively on my face, neck, and scalp. The condition is called hyperhydrosis.
    I finally began searching the web for anything to stop or cure this excessive sweating. I learned quite a bit. I found there is a non-aluminum deodorant that just came out. it can be used anywhere on the body, including the face. It costs about $25.00 and is manufactured by Klima. Hyper-Dri Aluminum-free Antiperspirant is the name. But it’s too expensive for me; even Ebay lists the same price.
    I also read that sage tea cuts sweating. I think one can also use botox, surgery, or electric stimulation of some kind.
    My sweating is so embarrassing because I teach and all of a sudden in front of the class I nearly squirt sweat!! Out of the blue. My students often hand me paper towels and Kleenex.
    Joe and Terry, is there any way to stop the sweat??
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: KLIMA DOESN’T MAKE IT EASY TO FIND OUT WHAT IS IN THEIR PRODUCTS.
    BOTOX CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE, ALTHOUGH IT IS EXPENSIVE AND HAS TO BE REPEATED MORE THAN ONCE A YEAR.
    MOST OTHER PRODUCTS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON THE FACE AND SCALP. WE SOMETIMES RECOMMEND TANNIC ACID, EITHER FROM STRONG TEA, OR AS AN OTC GEL FOR HANDS AND FEET THAT SWEAT TOO MUCH. THIS MIGHT BE WORTH A TRY FOR THE SCALP IF YOUR HAIR IS DARK ANYWAY. IT WOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY STAIN TOO MUCH IF YOUR HAIR IS LIGHT, AND IT IS CERTAINLY NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THE FACE OR NECK.
    PLEASE TALK THIS OVER WITH YOUR DOCTOR. YOU’VE GOT ALL THE BASIC INFORMATION, BUT NEED SOME GUIDANCE ON WHAT MIGHT HELP YOUR PARTICULAR PROBLEM.

10. NE

I have unfortunately been experiencing this for about 6 months straight! I do however have an aggressive form of Thyroid cancer and had it removed and am now considered to be Hypothyroid. However, due to this horrible symptom of excessive sweating if I exert myself, in any way (for example taking a shower, making a meal or just walking around). It is horrible and I end up COMPLETELY drenched!
    The sweating seems to come from every pore of my body and sometimes does not let up for quite a while… very different than “normal” sweating. BTW, I have never been hot when any of these episodes have taken place. My poor PC (Primary Care) Dr. has tested me for just about everything under the sun, to no avail. I was even hospitalized about 6 weeks ago and they ran even more tests, all to no avail.
    Both my PC Dr and the Internist in the hospital believe that I am taking too much Thyroid hormone and therefore it is making me Hyperthyroid. However, my Endocrinologist says that it is not my Thyroid. It is just beyond frustrating! My PC Dr had me lower the amount of Levoxyl (Thyroid hormone) which I could only do for about 2 1/2 weeks, since I felt so horrible and was unable to even get out of bed the last week that I was on the lower dosage.
    Even with this I felt NO change and even found myself sweaty and clammy in my bed. It is a true mystery… one day I was fine (as far as the sweating goes, that is) and the next I was sweating profusely whenever I exerted myself in the slightest! Good luck to you and let me know if you are able to get an answer.
    P.S. I am not trying to scare you about Thyroid cancer, I just wanted to explain what my circumstances are!

11. J WILSON

I sweat on my hair line and the back of my neck and back. They have just found a nodule that is large enough to take a biopsy off on my thyroid. My Dr. says the sweating is not because of my thyroid, but I believe it is. My mother has a thyroid problem that she takes meds for, not sure what it is. I sweat with no activity at all, just sitting down and I sweat. Is it my thyroid?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE DON’T KNOW. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF CONDITIONS THAT COULD BE INVOLVED. ONCE YOUR THYROID IS TREATED, YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER SENSE OF WHETHER IT WAS RESPONSIBLE. PLEASE GIVE US A FULL REPORT THEN. GOOD LUCK!

12. KS

I too had excessive sweating under my arms only, even in a comfortable or cool temperature. Never knew why. I have hypothyroid (not severe), and after a complete thyroid panel, now take T3. The problem is now greatly reduced and sometimes only periodic.

13. ldevere

I have suffered excessive sweating all my life since puberty — from my scalp to the soles of my feet, even inside my ears! Just say the word “exercise” and I’ll start to bead up. I tried to have a cardio stress test last year; they wrapped me in tape like a mummy and still couldn’t get the electrodes to stick to my slick skin. Most hard chairs I sit on I leave a large wet mark. When one suffers from full body flop sweat, what’s a body to do?
    … And BTW, I have HYPO thyroid. I haven’t met a Dr. yet who can explain me to me, let alone offer a ‘fix’. Anyone out there familiar with this, or a cure?