Q. I have type 2 diabetes and I have recently started taking cinnamon capsules to help control my blood sugar. I have been extremely pleased with the results so far.

The metformin I was taking was never as consistent at controlling my blood sugar as the cinnamon has been. Are there any negatives to taking cinnamon?

A. Although cinnamon may work more consistently for you, there is much more research supporting the beneficial effect of metformin on blood sugar. You should make sure your doctor is aware of your regimen, so you can work together to control your type 2 diabetes.

When you buy your cinnamon capsules, look for a water-soluble extract such as Cinnulin PF. Cinnamon may contain a compound called coumarin that can be toxic to the liver. Because coumarin is not water soluble, the water-based extract should be safe.

1. Nancy W

I put cinnamon on my cereal every nite – since doing this I find my blood sugar is lower in the morning – – – is this too much to have? – – I just sprinkle it on the cereal and don’t really measure it – – – I do know it has been lower.

2. louisa

is 1000 mgs of cinnamon capsules too much?

3. Sara

If you’re not diabetic can you still take cinnamon pills?

4. CJH

Yes–my sense of taste changed a lot after months of taking cinnamon. I decided to decrease the amount by 50%, and, after two weeks, my sense of taste and smell are back to normal. What a relief!

5. TK

Is the cinnamon provided by Puritans Pride the right kind? If not what brand is and where to find it? Is Vit B complex by mouth absorbed by the body or do you have to take it per injection? How much Zinc is allowed per day? I have some in multi Vit/Mineral supplement(CVS) Zinc 11 mg and Zinc50 mg seperately. Is this okay? OH I am 80 yrs old I have Diabetes type2, no heart ,kidney problems.Thanks.
    People’s Pharmacy response: We have not done any research on Puritans Pride, but consumerlab.com found it was a very popular brand. Vitamin B complex taken as pills is fine. don’t go over 40 mg a day of zinc. 15 mg is better.

6. Sap

I am wondering if I am taking Metformin (which I just started) is it safe to take cinnamon pills too? I am right over the pre-diabetic range.

7. Nikki

Have been taking cinnamon capsules for years, did not have this problem with my food not tasting good.

8. michael w m

I have type 2 diabetes. I take cinnamon capsules. How many mg is too much to take in one day? What should I be taking in mg a day to help me?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT IS REASONABLE TO TRY 500 MG TWICE A DAY TO SEE IF THAT WORKS FOR YOU. ALSO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR BLOOD SUGAR.

9. jackie j.

I purchased the cinnamon caplets from GNC. The caplets are 500mg and contain the Cinnamomium cassia bark. I have checked the ingredients for the caplets at other stores and have found none except the cinulin pf (out of stock in most stores) that indicate they are water soluble. Are the GNC caplets safe?

10. Peggy M.

I have not received any info regarding my use of Saigon cinnamon. It still works great and so far I haven’t had any side effects.

11. barbou

Thank you for your reply, my error. It was B12 that I had heard about.

12. peggy m

I put a teaspoon of Saigon Cinnamon in an 8 oz. glass of water and drink 2 hours before I take my blood sugar in the AM. I also use Cinnamon in my oatmeal every day. This keeps my type 2 Diabetes below 120. Is this too much cinnamon? I am controlling my sugar by diet only.

13. Barbou

I have read that Metformin interferes with the absorption of vitamin D and with prolonged usage can completely destroy this function.
    Any truth to this?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE HAVE SEEN EVIDENCE OF METFORMIN AFFECTING VITAMIN B12, BUT NOT VITAMIN D.

14. YRW

Much research needs to be done, but I am afraid this is not going to happen. You can’t get a patent on cinnamon, if you find out that it is really effective. So you can’t make money on it.

15. jennie

I am confused about this cinnamon/coumarin. My husband and I have been putting cinnamon in our coffee grounds after seeing you do it on pbs to try to reduce his A1c. We are both drinking it and I am breastfeeding. I had no idea about the coumarin. Maybe he would be better off with the supplement (how much are you supposed to take, how often)? I am not diabetic so I guess I will quit putting it in our coffee and cereal ect. We were trying to put it in a lot of our food, since we had heard it would lower blood sugar. Any suggestions?

16. Trucchi

I have Cinnamon 500mg Capsules from Puritans Pride. It contains Cinnamomium cassia (bark). I have about 50 left Is it safe to take? and where can I find the Cinnamon you suggest?

17. gs

I was looking for a certain kind of cinnamon. But I found it (cinulin pf) thankyou anyway. spizeeg

18. Raj S.

What was the cinnamon dosage you were taking?

19. K Doss

Having used Metformin for the last 2 years for blood sugar control. With the dosage ever increasing I noticed my hot flashes were getting worse and worse. I talked my Dr. into trying water soluble cinnamon in 6 wks the results are the same with the sugar levels and the hot flashes that were DRENCHing me night and day are gone like magic. I’m not saying it was the metformin, I’m just saying they are gone.

20. P.D.

Is grocery store bought cinnamon effective in lowering blood sugar? If so, how much should one take?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: GROCERY STORE CINNAMON, 1/4 TO 1/2 TEASPOON, SHOULD HELP LOWER BLOOD SUGAR. WE DO NOT ADVISE TAKING IT DAILY, HOWEVER, BECAUSE OF THE RISK THAT IT MAY CONTAIN COUMARIN. THIS COMPOUND FROM CINNAMON BARK COULD DAMAGE THE LIVER OVER TIME. LOOK FOR A WATER-EXTRACTED CINNAMON CAPSULE IF YOU PLAN TO USE IT DAILY.

21. candi

I took cinnamon capsules a few years ago, for several months. After a while, food did not taste the same. After a few weeks of this, I stopped taking the cinnamon and taste buds came back to normal. I tried using a cinnamon oil toothpaste and after a few months the same thing happened.
    Has anyone else experienced this?