Q. I had severe leg cramps and read about putting a bar of soap under the sheet. I tried this and found it stopped them IMMEDIATELY. Even more astonishing, it also banished my intermittent erectile dysfunction.

I checked out the ingredients of Ivory soap and found it contains magnesium sulfate. Paramedics use this compound to treat heart attacks or asthma because it relaxes smooth muscle fibers found in blood vessels and airways. I wonder if magnesium is absorbed from the soap through the skin of the legs and feet, increasing blood flow. It works for me!

A. We’ve heard from many people who find soap under the bottom sheet helpful against leg cramps. We have no scientific explanation.

Yours is the first report on soap helping ED. We find it fascinating, but again, cannot explain it. Your magnesium theory is a stretch, though.

1. MARVIN E. P. JR

Update on the bars of soap in my socks:
    They itched, so I put them between two pairs of socks and that worked, but I found that drinking 6 oz. of “Publix Quinine in Tonic Water” mixed with 4 oz. of low sodium V8 juice did the trick.
    The Quinine does not taste very good, but the V8 offsets most of it. The V8 low sodium is really a replcement of salt with potassium and also helps with the cramps.
    The small amount of V8 does not seem to affect my three pills I take which are designed to lower blood pressure. It stays close to 127/60 all of the time.
    However, I have also replaced all of my salt shakers with “No Salt” which is 100% potassium. Hope this info helps someone.

2. Rev marvin e purser, jr

To add to my comment months later: I have been putting a bar of ivory in between and in each of two pairs of socks as I wear them at night in bed and have not had a cramp since.

3. Rev. marvin e. purser, jr.

I tried the ivory soap routine by putting a bar in a pillow case with the pillow. The pillow then was under my legs all night for several nights, now more than two weeks and I have had no cramps. Before, I had calf cramps and toes would feel like they were in a grab or something. Rather painful. No more so far. I was thinking that maybe one bar in each sock under my feet and I am going to try that since the bar of soap travels in the pillow case unless I tape it in.

4. bcp

How do you use the mustard? Eat it, drink it, spread it??
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SWALLOW A TEASPOONFUL.

5. marvin p.

I tried the ivory soap. First night, it didn’t work. I had it in a pillow case with the pillow to rest my legs on top. Cramping in my calf, I woke up in middle of the night and saw that the soap was underneath the pillow. So, I turned the pillow case over so the soap was on top. It has been three days now and I have not had another cramp. I thought that I might try to purchase little hotel room ivory soap bars and put them in my socks after I go to bed to see if that would make a difference. I will know in a week.

6. ROE

My husband gets severe leg cramps and I would like to ty the soap under the sheets. What kind of soap is recommended and do you put the soap under the fitted sheet, or loose between the two sheets? We are currently using 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard when he gets the cramps and that helps within a few minutes, but I would like to eliminate the pain that wakes him up in the middle of a sound sleep. Thank you for your input.

7. Diana

I told a coworker about your article regarding the bar of soap for leg cramps. He tried it after a tough day at the gym. With amazement, he informed me it worked. Thanks for sharing

8. has

Used dove soap, seems to help with cramps sometimes.

9. JGRACE

I have tried the Ivory soap under the sheets (3 bars) spread out about 5″ apart. I have not noticed any difference in the amount of cramps I get. Am I using the right soap? Or should the soap be crushed and spread out?
    Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks J.G.