Q. I have arthritis in my hands and my back. I heard that gin-soaked raisins would help the pain.
Is that true, and if so, what is the recipe and the dose?

A. The only way to know if gin-soaked raisins will work for you is to try them. People respond in varied ways to home remedies.

In a shallow pan, barely cover golden raisins with gin. Let them sit until the gin has evaporated. Then eat 9 raisins a day. It may take a few weeks to see results. Here is one testimonial:

“I have had rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in my knees for years, and it was difficult to get up out of a chair or sofa. After one month on gin and golden raisins, I am completely free of knee pain, though it has not relieved my spinal stenosis.”

Nearly a year later, the same person reported, “I am still on the raisins and love them. Not only did gin-soaked raisins rid my knees of RA, but now the RA is also gone from my left shoulder. This is amazing, and my doctors are interested.”

We are sending you our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis with more details on using gin-soaked raisins and other home remedies to relieve joint pain.

1. KS

A friend pointed me towards a Wikipedia page, which basically says that golden raisins are sultanas treated with sulfur dioxide.
    “sultana” …[is] a dried large white grape … Seedless varieties include the sultana (also known as Thompson Seedless in the USA) and Flame grapes. Raisins are typically sun-dried, but may also be water-dipped, or dehydrated. “Golden raisins” are made from sultanas, treated with sulfur dioxide (SO2), and flame-dried to give them their characteristic color.
    ————–
    It makes you wonder, for those for whom only the golden variety works, if the sulfur dioxide or the flame drying plays a role.

2. Adrienne

Is there really a specified reason for golden raisins? And large ones? Has anyone had this work with smaller raisins or other varieties?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: MOST PEOPLE SPECIFY GOLDEN RAISINS, BUT SOME HAVE REPORTED SUCCESS WITH DARK RAISINS.

3. Cheri

Arthritis in my neck is severe and some in my hands. I eat 9 gin soaked raisins a day and I feel much better. I feel so much better I know when I am forgetting my raisins as my pain returns. My results are evident within less than a week. I highly recommend this as an alternative.

4. Cary

I am getting ready to try the golden raisins and gin for knee pain and CMC joint pain in my right hand/thumb. Does anyone know if it is advisable to also use the Certo and grape juice remedy simultaneously, or should I just try them one at a time?

5. Judy

I’m not experiencing pain, but I have stiff knee joints and sometimes stiffness in the hands–does the raisin/gin mixture help with that?

6. Hal

We are going to try the gin soaked raisins. The article does not tell how to store the raisins after the gin evaporates. Any one know?.

7. lynz24

ABSOLUTELY!!! must try!! ONLY L A R G E GOLDEN raisins, 1 pound and 1 pint of gin. SOAK until raisins have absorbed all liquid in open pan. Then COVER slightly and eat 9 golden raisins a day LARGE ONLY. IT WORKS!!! but for me only on knee pain. I have been told that I need both knees replaced years ago, after getting on this regiment, ALL knee pain is gone. But only knee pain.

8. Monita

I also found this effective, but I was told to buy the brand of gin that has the berries on the label and also that any raisins would do.

9. doug g.

I first heard about the gin and raisins a couple of years ago on The Peoples Pharmacy. Later, as I developed pain and swelling in my hands after hard use, which is now constant, I tried the raisins. Golden Raisins and the best gin. Ate nine every day for three months and did not find relief of pain. While I enjoyed the tender and tasty raisins the remedy did not work for me.

10. JG

I was spending $45 a month on glucosimine, etc. I decided to save the money and try the raisins soaked in gin and my knees don’t hurt at all! I have done this for over a year and take no additional pain medication.

11. Janet S.

There is no size gin bottle to buy to cover one box of raisins. Gnats hover but if you cover them, how can it evaporate? And now I keep them in tightly closed jar in the refrigerator. Will that harm the effect? I don’t have as much all-over pain from arthritis as I used to.