Overview

Accupril is one of a group of drugs that includes Vasotec and Capoten.

These medications are called ACE inhibitors because they affect an enzyme (angiotensin-converting enzyme) important in regulating blood pressure.

Accupril is often used to treat high blood pressure; it may also be prescribed in combination with other drugs to treat some types of heart failure.

Full prescribing information can be found at:

Check out Wikipedia for more user-friendly information:

Side Effects and Interactions

ACE inhibitors, including Accupril, can reduce kidney function, particularly in people who already have kidney problems. Regular monitoring is essential.

People on Accupril may experience dizziness, fatigue, a dry persistent cough, nausea or headache.

Other side effects reported include chest pain, palpitations, back pain, drowsiness, constipation, hair loss, dry mouth and impotence.

In rare cases a serious blood disorder has developed. Report any symptoms to your physician promptly.

There are a number of compounds that can interact with Accupril.

In general it is important to avoid potassium supplements, including low-sodium salt substitutes.

Diuretics such as Dyazide, Aldactazide and Moduretic which preserve potassium can also cause dangerous elevations in potassium when taken with Accupril.

Other diuretics may also interact with Accupril. So might the psychiatric drug lithium.

Accupril should not be taken at the same time as tetracycline, since it can reduce absorption of the antibiotic.

Check with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure Accupril is safe in combination with any other drugs you take.

Special Precautions

The first few doses of Accupril you take may cause dizziness or fainting, especially for older people. Be especially careful standing up until your body adjusts.

When you start taking Accupril, be alert for a rare, but serious reaction.

Some people have experienced swelling of the face, lips, tongue and throat which can make breathing difficult if not impossible. This requires immediate emergency treatment.

African-Americans may be somewhat more susceptible to this unusual adverse effect. They are also less likely to get the full expected response to Accupril.

If you are African-American, be sure to discuss benefits and risks with your physician.

Accupril should be avoided during pregnancy, especially second and third trimesters.

Taking the Medicine

Accupril should be taken on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.

Do not stop taking Accupril suddenly, as this could lead to complications.

1. tfh

My pharmacy switched me from accupril to quinapril, telling me that my insurance would only pay for the cheaper quinapril and that they were exactly the same. The day after switching I started having problems breathing and began coughing to the point of throwing up, my resting heart rate skyrocketed and I had flu like symptoms, this continued for several weeks and I thought perhaps the change had done something.
    I had several days left of the accupril so I switched back to it to see if that helped, within a couple of days all my problems stopped. To see if it was something else responsible after a week back on accupril I tried the quinapril again and the problems came back within a few hours. I had to demand going back to accupril from my md and my pharmacy and the insurance co. The battle lasted a while but worked out well, demand what you think is right don’t let the profits these companies make hurt your health.

2. TLO

I experienced the exact same problem. My pressure went from 130/80 to 200/115 about two days after changing to Lupin brand. I sent a Medwatch to the FDA and they referred me to Lupin. Lupin claimed there was no problem bla, bla, bla but I see now they are sending more inspectors to India.

3. VG

I had been taking 20mg Accupril, not sure what brand, but that was really good for me. I had no problems at all.
    Now that it is not subsidised in NZ, I’ve been put onto Arrow brand Quinapril 20mg. The side effects are almost immediate restless legs- really violent! I also had two blackouts upon getting out of bed in the morning- which upon reflection, after reading the above comments- never happened before going onto Quinapril.
    I won’t be taking my dose tonight as I cannot manage the restless legs especially with the flu, but will be going to see my GP tomorrow to get this medication changed. Thank you everyone your feedback.

4. DMT

I have been taking 40mg of quinapril for many years. I recently just got my insurance renewed through CVS and now they are insisting I have to buy all my prescriptions through them or they will not cover them on my insurance.
    I refuse so I am stopping taking all my drugs which includes quinapril 40mg, lansopril 30mg, adrena 20mgl, and an assortment of pain meds. When we get to a point where now I am being told where I have to spend my money then it is time to stop. I have a few of each pill left and when they are gone then we will see what happens because I will not be getting refills.

5. MG

My mother has been taking Quinapril for 21 years and for 1 year has had a rash on her chest and back that will not go away no matter what she tries. Her doctor took her off fish oil but still no results. Has anyone ever heard of this? She also takes Metoprolol, and Pantoprazole. Any help from ya’ll will be much appreciated.

6. da

I started taking the lupin brand 16 days ago
    My blood pressure has been steadily rising for a week or so also retaining fluid.
    Bp was 95/65 consistently now after 16 days 126/87 with headaches and puffiness.
    I have been taking the heart shaped brick colored tablet for years.

7. T.H.

I have been taking Quinapril for several years and have noticed loss of hair (top of head only) over the years. I have no family history of loss of hair. Is this a side affect? Any recommendations on a potential substitute?

8. j bonds

I highly urge anyone that experienced a rise in bp after being forced to switch to lupin quinaprill to report it to the FDA. I JUST DID! My husband has been getting greenstone 20mg and other generic brands (always brown pill) for years and it controlled his bp, suddenly pharmacy changed to lupin and it did not work 140/100, head aches, luckily we caught it as I take his bp at home… so we changed pharmacies 2 years ago to another that carried the right brand…. suddenly last month the pharmacy jumped to lupin as well, same thing happened 140/100 no matter how much of it he took….
    I called ALL pharmacies in the area all but one had changed to lupin and the one could not guarantee they would stay with greenstone! All the people with high bp taking quinaprill need to know!!! we here are being forced to take it if we can not afford the name brand, this is WRONG PEOPLE COULD BE DIEING AS I TYPE from this $$$ effected switch that is happening, again I strongly urge anyone who is experiencing this problem to report it!!

9. GERRY G.

I am taking quinipril 20mg.
    I have experienced the following side effects:
    persistent cough day and night; sore breast; tiredness; itching; dizziness; light headedness; dry mouth; restless legs.
    These symptoms also happened when I took lisinopril.
    Question; are there any other ace inhibitors that I could take that don’t have that same side effects? My doctor seems complacent about my complaints.

10. HS

I have been taking 20 mg of quinapril for about a month. I find that I am exhausted. I have been sleeping (quite deeply) 3 or 4 hours in the afternoon and still sleeping a full 8 hours at night. I seem to have no energy or motivation. Could this be a side effect of the quinapril?

11. Edith Ann

Marie, I take 20 mg of Quinapril, and the cough goes along with it. But the Quinapril is the best for me for bp, keeps it down like 120/72. Only thing I have found that works so good, I tried Maxide once and it did nothing so the doctor switched me back to Quinapril.

12. Edith Ann

Rich, I take 20 mg of Quinapril and it keeps my bp controlled. I would never eat a grapefruit or drink the juice either with any medication.

13. Marie C.

Dear people’s pharmacy;
    I have been taking 20 mg. quinapril for quite a few years and for quite a few years, about every 4 to 6 weeks I get a dry constant cough that will last about 1 month or more, then leave for 4 to 6 weeks, and start the cycle all over again. I have asked the doctors but none can give me an answer. I feel quinapril could be the problem. need help or suggestions thanks
    marie c.

14. MDM

I have been on Quinapril (Greenstone Brand) for years but Prescription Solutions just moved me to the Lupin Brand and my blood pressure has skyrocketed. Has anyone else had this result??

15. Robert E.

I am on Quinapril 10 mg per day. Do I need to restrict dietary sources of potassium ( eg, prune juice, orange juice, bananas,…)? Is there a percent of RDA that if my daily total stays below I will probably be ok? I recognize people will be different, their kidney function will be different—but I am looking for a ballpark estimate. Thanks.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YOU ARE CORRECT THAT ACE INHIBITORS LIKE QUINAPRIL TEND TO INCREASE POTASSIUM, BUT IT IS UNUSUAL FOR NORMAL DIETS CONTAINING BANANAS OR ORANGE JUICE TO PUSH THIS TOO HIGH. AVOID POTASSIUM-BASED SALT SUBSTITUTES OR ANYTHING ENRICHED WITH POTASSIUM.

16. J J C

I have been taking quinapril by Teva mfg. co for years and have never had any adverse reactions and now I was just switched to quinapril by Lupin mfg. by the insurance co. without any prior notification. Does anyone know if there have been any reports of any significant differences or side effects from quinapril by Lupin mfg?

17. Phyllis H.

Is it okay to eat grapefruit when taking quinapril?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YES. NO INTERACTION HAS BEEN REPORTED, NOR IS ONE EXPECTED.

18. Rich G

Is it ok to eat grapefruit if I am taking quinapril?

19. mary

I have had problems with rising blood pressure since being switched to quinapril from accupril. Does anyone else have info on this?