Armour Thyroid is thyroid hormone used to treat hypothyroidism.

More information is available at Wikipedia:

1. Sandra

I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease in 2009 . I immediately saw an endroconologist who suggested having my thyroid destroyed with radioactive iodine treatment. I decided to work with a naturopath to try to reverse my Graves’ disease and get my thyroid working again. After a year with the naturopath with no results I decided to do the RAI treatment. I was then put on Synthroid. I hated it, I had itchy skin and felt depressed. I then changed doctors and began seeing a health and wellness doctor. I was now post menopausal and began bio identical hormone creams after lab results showed my estrogen, testosterone and progesterone were not present in my body. This also causes muscle loss, muscle fatigue ,low sex drive and many symptoms common to low thyroid. I was also put on armour thyroid with this doctor and found the results to be much better then Synthroid, although I am still adjusting the dosage I have, the armour made at a compound pharmacy with a vitamin c filler as the regular armour didn’t agree with me. I still find I get puffy eyes after I take the medication (does anyone else experience this ?) I do get burning in my chest and some nights wake up with anxiety and panic attacks. Not sure if I am reacting to the pig hormone as I have recently become vegan but I don’t know an alternative medication. I may have to adjust my dose. I am currently taking 2 ( 30mg slow release and 1 15 g regular release ). I also recently added the ThyroSense from the health food store which really made me feel great (I put it in water and just drink it slowly in the morning) this is new so I’m not sure what it will do long term. I may need to decrease my armour amount since adding this. I’ll keep you posted. I am determined to find something that may work to help me feel normal again

2. AFD

Deciding to take Amour I thought was going to be the best decision in the world because there are so many people who have seen a difference. So, I took Amour for 1 month and started to feel great. Then the hives started to appear all over my body. The hives stayed for 3 weeks, then my skin started to peel off of my body. At that point I spent almost a week in the hospital with Steven Johnson Syndrome (a severe allergic reaction to medicine). I then continued with doctors weekly for about 6 months. Being blessed and having great doctors is the reason I am here today, as it only affected my skin and did not cause damage to my other organs of my body. A little education, Steven Johnson Syndrome can happen with almost any type of medicine, just be aware. August is Steven Johnson Syndrome Awareness month.

3. R.M.

I too gained over 10 pounds while taking Armour and I eat very healthy, exercise daily, and have been at a loss as well as my doctors as to why the weight gain. We are begining to think I am having an allergic reaction to Armour so you may want to find out. Starts as weight gain and then gets worse with chest pain and breathing issues.

• Jan
      CA

Hello, I’d love to hear what you are finding. I switched to Armour in April & feel ok except for weight gain & just this feeling of weight hanging on to me no matter what I do. Even after 200 laps in the pool, not even 1 lb weight loss with good eating. I can’t figure it out & I’m ready to go back to synthetics. Thanks!

4. ladyliza

I sure hope you are working with a doctor on your Armour management, because if you are not, then you can destroy your thyroid. I don’t know of any doctor who would prescribe it for just weight loss. Not everyone loses weight on it.

5. Nina

Hello. I have been on 129 Mcg of Armour for about 6 months and have taken 60 in am and 60 in pm for about two months. I have not lost any weight and have started working out 3-5 times per week and eating about 1000-1200 calories a day. I burn about 300-800 calories per workout. Any suggestions!?!?!?

6. JG

I have been on Armour for 7 months now and I’m still gaining weight! I’m so depressed. I’m taking 45 mg. and my doctor told me that my labs are normal! This can’t be! If my thyroid levels were normal why am I still gaining weight?
    I eat less than 1000 calories and day and workout every other day to where I am dripping sweat!
    I wish that I never had radioactive iodine to destroy my thyroid.
    I just want my life back!
    I use to weight 104 pounds and now I weigh 116 pounds!
    Please help me!
    I think it might be time to find another doctor.

7. Floridas beaches

I just want to know if anyone had hair loss. I am afraid of losing my hair. I am going to start taking Armour Thyro 30 once a day.

8. tiggersmama

well i know one thing i cant gain weight no matter what i do ive been on levothyroxin since 2010 and i only weigh 60 lbs back in 06 i weighed 102lbsim only taking 25 mcgs of levo my hair is very thin and i get cold very easy i really dont have any complaints about the levo except i just want to gain weight im hypo now cause i had my thyroid radioactivly eradicated back in 2011 so im hypo an still cant gain weight so im just stuck

9. CS

I switched to Armour thyroid 12 days ago and my anxiety increased dramatically, my heart races and pounds. I feel hot and cold and break out in sweats. I don’t think pig thyroid is any more natural to a human than synthetic thyroid. I’ve switched back today to levothyroxine and already feel calmer, warmer and all around better. I’m 56 years old and menopausal so maybe age does make a difference. I did always feel good on levothyroxine so should’ve never switched. :)

10. ladyliza

Perhaps the dosage is wrong for you or is it possible you are allergic to pork? If it were me I would also call the Forest Labs and ask them if they have ever heard of your side effects. Give them you batch number.

11. CAZ

Starting taking new prescription of Armour Thyroid medication, and now my skin feel like I have a severe sun burn on my arms and legs, anyone have same reaction?

12. ladyliza

I am taking many vitamins and herbs as well as Armour Thyroid. I take it as soon as I get up in the am and cannot eat anything for 1/2 hour. I also have to chew the tablet and not take it with water. (tastes like chalk) Then later in the am I start taking all my other vitamins, etc. I have had no problems.

13. Julia J.

Just curious if anyone else is having severe heartburn while taking Armour? I’ve only been taking it for 3 weeks, hoping the heartburn will go away.

14. Lynette

did the compound work for you? My hair is also falling out and need a solution to this problem.
    Thank,
    Lynette

15. ladyliza

JG, I have never heard of anyone who gained weight on Armour Thyroid. I might suggest you ask your doctor to give you a blood test to determine where you are deficient. I don’t know how old you are or what other drugs you are taking so this is a general list: vitamins D, B6, B12, COq10, magnesium and iron levels. Then I would take your test results to a licensed naturopath to get a second opinion. Not all states have licenses for naturopaths but here in California it is required.
    Most doctors are not trained in nutrition so most won’t be helpful. I was fortunate a decade ago to find an integrative physician who has a phd in nutrition as well. There are a few medical schools around the country that offer degrees in alternative medicine and I am lucky my doctor takes insurance since most of these doctors do not. The second best thing is a naturopath or an osteopath. There are many areas of western medicine where alternative medicine trumps allopathic medicine. IF you want to get better, start doing the research.

16. JG

My family doctor wants me to take prenatal vitamins because I’m so tired all the time.
    I’m on 60 mg. of Armour.
    Is anyone taking vitamins with Armour?
    Thanks

17. JG

Hi,
    I have been on 60mg of Armour and I was just wondering when my weight will stabilize. I eat only 1000 calories a day drink only water and work out every other day. I didn’t work out for one week because I was so tired after the holidays and I gained 3 pounds while still eating only 1000 calories a day!
    I have gained 11 pounds since starting Armour and I’m not happy about this.
    Any advice for me?
    Thanks

18. Deb

Nikki, any idea how one might be able to buy the Canadian-made Armour? I’d like to try it, if it is the original Armour.
    Thanks,
    Deb

19. Deb

I never experienced burning on my tongue while using Armour but, after many years of using it, even after the “bad batch” several years ago, I have moved on to another thyroid product as the Armour was actually giving me muscle aches. Muscle aches can be a symptom of low thyroid. WITHOUT THE ARMOUR I DO NOT HAVE THE MUSCLE ACHES. Unfortunately, after being such a great solution for low thyroid for so many years, something the drug manufacturers have done has created a problematic Rx.
    As for the burning tongue, you might want to rule out acid reflux or thrush (Candida on the tongue). Thrush will leave a white coating on your tongue, especially first thing in the morning.

20. ladyliza

I never had any side effects. Perhaps you are on too strong a dosage. Please check with your doctor’s office about the dosage. When I have questions, I often check with a pharmacist.

21. JG

Hello,
    I have been on Armour for 5 weeks and my tongue feels like it’s burning and I have lost taste to some foods.
    Has this happened to anyone and will I get better once my body adjusts to the Armour?

22. Nikki

Hello, I’m glad that you shared that your heart problems went away. Were they arrhythmia? Could you tell me if Canadian Armour is still working well for you? Any side effects? How is your heart?
    The reason I ask also is because my mom is on Levothyroid and is considering Armour, but she has already heart problems. And I need to know which version of Armour cause heart problems. It seems that original might be the answer.
    Could you let me know?