Q. In 2003 I started taking CoQ10 and flaxseed oil capsules. Five months later my vision improved, and within the year I stopped using glasses completely.

I wore glasses for 40 years, bifocals for 15 of those. At one time my far vision was 20/200. My vision is now 20/20 and I read without glasses. My astigmatism has disappeared. At age 62 I'm delighted to have regained my vision. Of course, I still take flaxseed oil daily.

A. Your experience is remarkable and inexplicable. We found one study suggesting that flaxseed oil might be helpful in reversing inflammation in children’s eyes (Ophthalmology, Dec. 2007), but nothing to parallel your story.

1. Joe

I had to use glasses for driving the last few years. Had the restriction on my drivers license. I was renewing my drivers license so I had to go back and get a physical again as I get a public service license too. I no longer need to wear glasses.
    I took CO Q 10 also and DMV gave my my new license without the restriction of having to wear glasses. Here’s to CO Q 10. Lots of evidence now that supports this is a very important supplement. Joe

2. cpmt

Flaxseeds should be freshly ground before taking it, they get rancid very quickly. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH (name) BRAND OF TURMERIC is a good brand?.

3. emeralkid

I have read that flaxseed oil is good for helping with dry eyes and itching of the eyes. Just take a couple of tablespoons a day to alleviate these two conditions.

4. Kathryn

I’m 48, have worn glasses since I was 12, and have astygmatism in my left eye. I read the article in your column about vision improvement with CoQ10 and Flax oil. I started taking it immediately. I use Barleans 1000mg flax oil, 1x daily; and Doctor’s Best 100mg softgels 1x daily. I have changed eyeglass prescription TWICE in the last 18 months because my vision continues to improve. I can tell my glasses need changing when I find myself removing them to see—and I can’t remember where I put them! It feels like a miracle to me!

5. grr

I buy my fish oil and flaxseed oil from either Costco or Sam’s Club. I take one flaxseed and one fish oil in the morning and evening. My eye doctor prescribed it for me for dry eyes years ago.

6. cpmt

It seems that some people who talked about omega3, flax seeds, CoQ10 don’t want to give the information. I too need the dosage and which brands are good since we don’t know how to find out.

7. jill

I was diagnosed with dry eye and the Dr. put me on Tears Again Hydrate. It has been 2 months now and nothing. My eyes feel like they are worse. I also have been taking CoQ10 and Flax seed oil for yrs. Nothing also. Dr. says I have to take the pills for one more month. Very discouraging. I am seeing him after the month and maybe I have to try that tear duct plugging. Will write back in a month..

8. jeannette o

What is the dose of flax oil capsules and coq-10 capsules needed to improve eyesight?

9. MMS

I have chronic dry eyes and have been on Restasis drops in AM & PM for a number of years now. I am in my mid-50s. I also need to use over the counter eye drops to help lubricate the eyes, especially at work. My eyes feel better than in the past but they are still quite dry & very uncomfortable most nights after work. I was recently diagnosed with Blepharitis and added an antibiotic to my regime. Last Thursday I had to go to the ophthalmologist for an emergency visit. Turned out that I suddenly had a vitreous fluid tear which caused my left eye to feel uncomfortable, see hazy with a wavy line.
    I need help – so I researched the web and have come up with Tears Again HYDRATE prescription supplement which has been specially formulated to contain the omega-3 fatty acid, flaxseed oil, but has also included Evening Primrose oil (EPO), a substance having exceptionally high content of the even rarer essential fatty acid, gamma linolenic acid. These essential fatty acids (EFA) have been combined with bilberry extract (BBE), all of which are believed to provide anti-inflammatory properties — a component in dry eye syndrome. HYDRATE™ is specially formulated for dry eyes and is available by prescription only.
    Does anyone know anything about this prescription supplement “Tears Again Hydrate” or any other eye supplement that would help me?
    What are your thoughts on taking evening primrose, bilberry and flaxseed oil individually?
    What dosage would be best please?
    Please help! Thank you.

10. RS

After wearing glasses for nearsightedness (and an astygmatism in one eye) since the 6th grade, at age 55 I was told I no longer had an astygmatism. The eye doctor told me sometimes they just correct themselves. (Even after 40 years?!)
    Then shortly after that routine eye exam, and a new prescription for bi-focals, I found more and more the need to remove my glasses while driving in order to see well. Within a year, I had stopped wearing my glasses altogether, except for close reading. I remember hearing once that as you age, your eyesight may improve for distance; however, no explanation had been given as to why or whether a self-corrected astygmatism might result in virtually 20/20 vision.
    I cannot attribute my vision improvement to flaxseed oil because it wasn’t until after my vision improved that I began taking flaxseed oil. However, I’ve not been as fortunate to be able to toss my reading glasses as well; in fact, I keep needing to increase their strength. Hmm. . .perhaps I ought to start adding CoQ10 to my regime, as well!

11. Barbara V.

Could you please publish the dosage of the CoQ10 and flax seed oil as well as the source of the supplements used to improve her vision?

12. DCY

My son needed glasses when he was 4. About a year later I started him on Omega-3 fatty acids. About a year later he no longer needed glasses. Probably if you have an essential fatty acid deficiency then adding Omega-3s or flax seed oil will improve a lot of things. My son also got rid of his asthma and allergies the same time he got rid of his glasses. We have him tested every year and his eyesight is still perfect. He still takes Omega-3 fatty acids.

13. JHM

Knowing the dosages (as well as sources) of CoQ10 and flaxseed oil are critical in order to attempt replication of the results. The quality of supplements can vary widely and therefore it is important to know the sources as well.

14. MTN

WHAT WERE THE DOSAGES OF THE COQ10 and FLAXSEED OIL?

15. sanang

I have poor vision and have worn glasses for about 27 years. I also have been taking COQ-10 and flax seed meal for about 7 years. My eyesight is getting worse and I’ll need cataract surgery before too long. So…these products didn’t help me.

16. OM

I take CoQ10 and after my last trip to the eye doctor, I do not now have to have glasses for driving. I still use them for fine print but not for far vision.

17. sheila H.

Could inflammation be at the “root” of many more maladies and diseases than previously thought?
    I take Turmeric (with Bromelain) daily; it helps with inflammation and helps my husband’s knee when it gets inflamed and sore.
    My memory is much better since I began Turmeric in 2006. When my friends finally try it, they feel better. (The better the brand, the better the results; higher % concentration/strength.) I have just gotten my uncle (with dementia) started on Turmeric with Bromelain.I Will let you know how he progresses. I can easily see that flax seed oil and omega 3 could help vision, etc.
    Thank you, Mr. Graedon, for your wonderful website. Sheila H.

18. MM

I started taking Flaxseed Oil Capsules several years ago and when I had my yearly eye exam January of this year my Dr.told me my eyes had improved so much that he changed my driving prescription to a much weaker one. I do not take CoQ10 so it must be the flaxseed oil.

19. PG

A few years ago, I went for an opthalmologic exam and the doctor was concerned that I was heading for a retinal detachment and warned me about signs and symptoms and said to call him the minute anything happened. My son and I had started flax oil just before this and I kept taking it all the next year.
    When I went back to the doctor a year later, he said he couldn’t believe it, but my eyes had improved and there was nothing wrong with them now. I recently read that flax oil is good at making new nerve connections in the brain and eyes. So I plan to stay on flax oil the rest of my life. (As well as probiotics, but that’s another story.)

20. Miriam B

I also take flax and CoQ10. I take 2 T. freshly ground flax seed per day and 100 mg. of CoQ10 with no results that I can see. Could you please tell us how much flax oil and how much CoQ10 you take? and would I get better results with the oil than the freshly ground seed?