Q. What do you know about prescription Lovaza? My eye doctor prescribed it for dry eyes and eye surface damage due to Sjogren’s syndrome.

I have great respect for my doctor, but I would like to know if other forms of omega-3 fats are just as effective. Lovaza is very costly. He also has me taking flax oil.

A. Lovaza is prescription-strength fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) approved for lowering high triglycerides. A month’s supply may cost over $160.

Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disorder characterized by arthritis, dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin and dry, brittle nails and hair. There is some preliminary evidence that omega-3 fatty acids found in both fish and flax oil might be helpful (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Oct. 2005). We see no reason why you couldn’t use high-quality OTC fish oil in lieu of Lovaza.

1. Vladislav R.

Did you get from your conditions ?

2. C.A.

You have to look at the ingredients on the back of the bottle. Add up the DHA + EPA amounts. For dry eye, at least 1000 mg of EPA + DHA is recommended, but looks like Lovaza (for lowering triglycerides) you need at least 4000 mg of EPA + DHA a day. With lower concentration OTC fish oil capsules it really can end up translating to 10-20 capsules a day!

3. fn

Is l000 mg. of Lovaza equal to l000 mg.s of Omega purified fish oil otc?
    Our doctor said he’d have to take 18 pills of the later to be equal to Rx lovaza.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: LOVAZA IS MORE CONCENTRATED, BUT WE’RE NOT SURE WHETHER THE 18:1 RATIO IS REALISTIC.

4. Mary

I just started lovaza today. I also have sjogren’s along with allergic conjunctivitis and blepharitis. I have found a months supply for $84.00 at Costco pharmacy. Of course that only helps if you have a costco near you. I hope it works. Not much else has worked for me. Good luck and I will post my progress when I have been taking it a little longer.

5. Domingo R

I started taking lovaza due to high triglycerides and cholesterol from my personal doctors, and to my amazement it also helped right away with other un-related illnesses or symptoms ranging from pain on my feet plants to pain in my fingers in the mornings, stiff neck and joint mobility overall. I really recommend it to my friends and anybody who suffers too from this (aged related symptoms). I also noticed effects on my skin texture, and to finish, it is the first natural medication I have received from my alopatic doctor and I have great respect for her. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

6. Rob

There is a lot of noise lately about krill oil. It is supposed to be three times more effective than fish oil although it is also more expensive.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: KRILL OIL IS ANOTHER WAY TO GET OMEGA-3 FATS. THESE OCEAN CREATURES EAT THE ALGAE THAT MAKE DHA AND EPA.

7. ssl

I developed dry eye following eye lid surgery. I have taken fish oil capsules and use ground flax seed but have not experienced any benefit for my dry eyes. I don’t know if what I’m taking is ‘high quality’ fish oil. Since Lovaza is so pricy, how do I find a ‘high quality’ fish oil? If you know anyone considering eye lid surgery, please tell them to be sure they have their tear quality and quantity tested before surgery.
    Also, anyone with thyroid issues should be very cautious. My surgeon did not test my tears and apparently did not read my history very well. I thought I had done enough reading before the surgery but no article or brochure mentioned dry eye as a possible outcome for eye lid surgery. Once I developed dry eye I have found many references to developing dry eye following eye lid surgery – now that I start a search with dry eye and not eye lid surgery.